U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM

650 posts, read 999,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
WTF is a jabrony?

GOD I detest "cool" Internet-spawned words.
giabrone was an archaic Italian pejorative that somehow got resurrected by pro wrestling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM

33,811 posts, read 41,752,192 times
At 26 the Navy was teaching me to fly jets.
At 36 I was teaching school and my 3rd child had just been born.
At 46 I was still teaching, my oldest daughter was entering her senior year in high school.
At 56 my youngest son entered high school and I thought "Damn I'll be 57 next year!".

Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,658,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
At 26 the Navy was teaching me to fly jets.
At 36 I was teaching school and my 3rd child had just been born.
At 46 I was still teaching, my oldest daughter was entering her senior year in high school.
At 56 my youngest son entered high school and I thought "Damn I'll be 57 next year!".
Makes you realise how fast time goes by doesn't it.

I remember being 16 and telling people I was going to die by the time I was 30. I'm 48 now and somehow I just can't reconcile the fact I am old but still young in my head.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM

31,643 posts, read 36,305,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Makes you realize how fast time goes by doesn't it.

I remember being 16 and telling people I was going to die by the time I was 30. I'm 48 now and somehow I just can't reconcile the fact I am old but still young in my head.
And when you're 58 or 68 you'll wish to be 48 again and so young.

Age for most really is a mental issue as long as someone stays physically able and active.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM

20,767 posts, read 35,748,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I kinda feel you.

I'm 23 and still havent finished my degree (hopefully in May) and in a Southern city like Louisville and especially with most of my friends here already having spouses and some with mortages and kids, I feel like I'm going nowhere. Hopefully once I get the degree and get into a more stable job I can feel a little more advanced but still be in a mode to party my off before the 30s descend on me.
Don't be hard on yourself. US culture is very conformist and many cities are very conservative meaning that people stick with a certain "life plan" and prefer not to be risk adverse. These days people don't generally move around far more frequently and it's best not to get "trapped in a place."

Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,057,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Allow me to cheer you up.

As each year passes the following year will pass even faster than the last one. You are 26 now so in less than 4 years you will be in your 30's and in a little over 13 years you will hit your 40's. Are you going to be balding at 40? Probably.

Time speeds up ^2.

Soon enough, very soon, you will no longer count years but decades and individual years become to mean nothing.
Halfway through your 40's you will look forward to 50 because at 50 you know you got a whole decade ahead of you before you hit your 60's.

Like most of us you will gain a little weight, luckily I didn't gain that much but gain I did, and even if you stop eating it won't come off.

Hey, at 26 you are over halfway to 50.

Best antidote for all this? Find a good woman you can grow old with and love her at 65 as you did when she was 25.
Yeah I don't need anyone to tell me that, time really does seem to speed up as you go along...

Not overtly concerned with the balding part, people have told me have 'thick' hair like my father, rather than my mother's side who has the balding gene, but I don't see balding as that big a deal. Weight gain, quite possibly, I hope to stay active in old age.

Hope to find someone soon, a good woman who has a bit of perspective about life...

Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 298 times
For what is worth, I am 53,When I don't have a beard I don't look a day over thirty, I am a plumber of 32 years and work for my self , new clients usually question my experience from my young appearance until I tell them my age, I have never been married and when I was a kid I think I planned it that way, I just looked at my parents and told myself I never want to be like that, I partied really hard as well as worked and played hard into my early thirties, I still work hard and play hard and only some weed with an very occasional beer, I ride Mountain bikes year around and can ride twenty and thirty year olds into the ground,a12 hour mountain bike ride with 10,000 foot of climbing and descending is a weekly routine and ride almost every day too as well as lift some weights and ski and snowboard in the winter.I am happier not being in relationships, I have had a hand full of long term relationships which I considered life robbing mostly but learning experiences.When I see people I grew up with I can't believe I am the same age as them. I think some of us just have to ignore what society views as acceptable,conventionalism can be a bad thing for some.The American lifestyle disease is rampant. Don't be another victim .

Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,450,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I just turned 26...I'm grateful for family, friends, living in a well-off country, getting to travel and having free time to pursue passions, so maybe I should stop whinging lol.

Bingo.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:43 AM

3,843 posts, read 3,941,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainshredder View Post
For what is worth, I am 53,When I don't have a beard I don't look a day over thirty, I am a plumber of 32 years and work for my self , new clients usually question my experience from my young appearance until I tell them my age, I have never been married and when I was a kid I think I planned it that way, I just looked at my parents and told myself I never want to be like that, I partied really hard as well as worked and played hard into my early thirties, I still work hard and play hard and only some weed with an very occasional beer, I ride Mountain bikes year around and can ride twenty and thirty year olds into the ground,a12 hour mountain bike ride with 10,000 foot of climbing and descending is a weekly routine and ride almost every day too as well as lift some weights and ski and snowboard in the winter.I am happier not being in relationships, I have had a hand full of long term relationships which I considered life robbing mostly but learning experiences.When I see people I grew up with I can't believe I am the same age as them. I think some of us just have to ignore what society views as acceptable,conventionalism can be a bad thing for some.The American lifestyle disease is rampant. Don't be another victim .
You sound a lot like me shredder. I like how you say your relationships were "life robbing" because that's what most of mine end up feeling like. Since I'm free of a wife and kids, I don't have that ball and chain and can have more fun, get more exercise, do more travelling and live more dreams. I'm about your age, look 10 years younger and (touch wood) am in great health. I think I'd be 30 lbs overweight if I married, I'd have given up most of my hobbies and ultimately lived for other people (wife and kids). I'd also have no chance at an early retirement which is a reality now.

Yeah, the conventional, American Dream lifestyle of spouse, kids, mortgages and keeping up with the Jones' can really run people (especially men) down. That life was more appropriate in the post-war days and thru about the 70s but now, why take it?

12 hour mountain bike ride? You got me there, I could only hang for a few.

PS- good thread to reactivate

Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 PM

6,558 posts, read 3,780,122 times
No one wants to have or be a ball and chain. There are various ways to avoid it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or