Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:43 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times

Advertisements

Someone I know was going to order a poster online that consisted of different words in a variety of fonts. It looked very cool but she noticed there were some words that were misspelled. She passed on placing the order but was trying to decide whether it was worth reaching out to the artist or to the vendor to let them know about the errors.

What would you do in that situation? Or conversely, if you were the artist, how would you feel about being told about these mistakes?

My suggestion was to go to the vendor rather than the artist because it's less personal. But I also think it was a big misstep by the vendor because their quality control should have picked up the errors before putting the product on their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
yes, yes, yes!!

Artist is missing out on business and $$$ if nobody buys it but doesn't tell him/her why.

I would contact the vendor because that's the point of contact.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would contact the vendor because that's the point of contact.
The artist's name is on the website so it's easy enough to reach them directly - although I still thing the vendor is better myself.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:59 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,811 times
Yes, I would. I've pointed out misspelled words on postings in public places (such as a flyer on a bulletin board, for example).

As a kid I once had a friend pull over at a Howard Johnson's because something on the sign they used to advertise whatever food they were serving was misspelled. I'm a severe grammar nerd in that way, I hate seeing simple words misspelled or used incorrectly.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:02 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Someone I know was going to order a poster online that consisted of different words in a variety of fonts. It looked very cool but she noticed there were some words that were misspelled. She passed on placing the order but was trying to decide whether it was worth reaching out to the artist or to the vendor to let them know about the errors.

What would you do in that situation? Or conversely, if you were the artist, how would you feel about being told about these mistakes?

My suggestion was to go to the vendor rather than the artist because it's less personal. But I also think it was a big misstep by the vendor because their quality control should have picked up the errors before putting the product on their website.
Yes. If this is an artist and there are typos, they need to fix it. They would likely be appalled that they let something like that slip.

It is not the printer's job to notice typos. Their job is to make sure the printed piece looks as close to the original design as possible. In fact, when the printer sends you a proof to approve, they typically have a big, fat paragraph that states all proofreading is the responsibility of the customer.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
It depends on the situation. The type of work I do requires us to sub out graphic design to other companies. Our software systems will display information on backgrounds that we have subbed out. If a place is called. "City of Hope" or "USA Bank" as your customer you most certainly spell that out properly.

Again, probably best really depends on the situation. I'd probably tell the graphic artist if they were my friend to help spare them from embarrassment.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yes. If this is an artist and there are typos, they need to fix it. They would likely be appalled that they let something like that slip.

It is not the printer's job to notice typos. Their job is to make sure the printed piece looks as close to the original design as possible. In fact, when the printer sends you a proof to approve, they typically have a big, fat paragraph that states all proofreading is the responsibility of the customer.
This has nothing to do with a printer. The vendor is a website that sells work by various artists and craftspeople. It's not like ebay or etsy, the website owner is the vendor but they give some details information about the maker of each piece. They have control over what products they choose to offer and have an in depth explanation of their sourcing process on the website, which is part of their own branding (the fact that they offer special and interesting things from around the world).

I would have thought that their processes included quality control such as proofreading any written materials, but obviously someone missed.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
I think you'd be doing the vendor a favor by telling him about the typos. You could say something like "I really like that poster by [Artist X] and I'd like to buy it, but I'm a stickler for grammar and I noticed some typos." Then say that the typos are. If the vendor blows you off, you know not to do business with them in the future. But I would think he would thank you and have the artist fix the mistakes, in order to avoid losing business.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 PM

12 posts, read 7,323 times
OP, hope you do tell them the mistakes or they'll never know and keep doing it, and lose business. Betting it's apostrophes on plurals because it seems everyone is doing this and people think it's normal now.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:35 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,039 times
Contact the vendor and let them know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships