Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

A couple of years after my brother retired he dropped by his old office. He said "Man, I'm sure glad I retired when I did; those guys are getting old!"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It is? So I might not look as young as I think I do? Next you're going to tell me that people can tell I wear a toupee.
I got your humour, WC.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
"Old" as many Americans understand it is a frame of mind as well as body.

Physically old: Greying/receding hair, burgeoning waistline, decreasing physical stamina/strength, decreased collagen/sagging/wrinkles, etc etc. Truly, not all of these are inexorable. Weight gain can be controlled with moderation in eating and exercise. Said exercise also helps with day-to-day stamina.

Mentally old/boring (the attitude): Resistance to change, stubbornness, reluctance to try new things, reduced or obliterated social circle, excessive focus on home & hearth, sedentary etc. These are the real problems, I believe. A truly mature person balances the need to keep their lives in order (cash in the bank, bills paid, projects at work on schedule) while maintaining their personal happiness. Who says a mature adult can't cut loose once in awhile with friends for a night of fun? If my white-bread, republican grandparents can have the frame of mind for a fun night, anyone can. Unfortunately, maturity tends to mean work-kids-takeout-sleep ad nauseum. Hire a babysitter, don't eat 1,000 calorie meals, and keep a friggin hobby.

Sorry for the rant. I do see so many people in the circle of the family and our friends who more or less are the makers of their own dissatisfaction.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Hire a babysitter, don't eat 1,000 calorie meals, and keep a friggin hobby.
All good advice.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I just turned 26...I know it's pointless, but dread fills my heart with each year I grow older...

I look around at people my age - they seem and look so old! Some are married with children, buying houses, paying off mortgages, they're advanced in their careers. Some of the men are balding, some of the women look like they're going on 40 starting to get wrinkles and stuff. I don't envy them, but it's so scary that so much can happen in just a few years! I've heard women in their mid 20s being called old! I'm mid-20s and I still feel like a teen in some ways. I've been told I look 18. 18 seemed like only yesterday. Youth truly DOES pass in an instant. No wonder they were all living it up, it's gone before you know it. Meanwhile I'm back at home living with parents and feel and my life hasn't really changed at all in the last 10 years or so.

I know I have many years of youth left, I hope, but I feel behind the eight ball. I'm not going to let me get it down, but how many of you feel the same way?

I mean it's not until I saw photos of my friends looking so old that I realized I was closer to 30. I just realized half of my 20s have just passed me by and I'll be an 'adult adult' soon, one of those grownups on those kid's shows.

Life truly is short. And fragile, too.

I sometimes sincerely wish I'd never been born. My life seems like such a waste. All this oppressive anxiety and I've never known the simple joys of romantic love. I'm grateful for family, friends, living in a well-off country, getting to travel and having free time to pursue passions, so maybe I should stop whinging lol.
26 is young, you have plenty of time to do all the things you want, relax, they will come in time.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I just turned 26...I know it's pointless, but dread fills my heart with each year I grow older...
Allow me to cheer you up.

As each year passes the following year will pass even faster than the last one. You are 26 now so in less than 4 years you will be in your 30's and in a little over 13 years you will hit your 40's. Are you going to be balding at 40? Probably.

Time speeds up ^2.

Soon enough, very soon, you will no longer count years but decades and individual years become to mean nothing.
Halfway through your 40's you will look forward to 50 because at 50 you know you got a whole decade ahead of you before you hit your 60's.

Like most of us you will gain a little weight, luckily I didn't gain that much but gain I did, and even if you stop eating it won't come off.

Hey, at 26 you are over halfway to 50.

Best antidote for all this? Find a good woman you can grow old with and love her at 65 as you did when she was 25.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
I am 43 and wondering where the time went., I am shameful at the missed opportunities that were there. Now I am a jabrony and I do whatever. The thought of being too old does not register with me. I do whatere at my age to make up for what I did not do when I was younger. As a result I am 43 but act 27 and chase around and hang out with people in their 20's.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
WTF is a jabrony?

GOD I detest "cool" Internet-spawned words.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 AM

317 posts, read 528,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I am 43 and wondering where the time went., I am shameful at the missed opportunities that were there. Now I am a jabrony and I do whatever. The thought of being too old does not register with me. I do whatere at my age to make up for what I did not do when I was younger. As a result I am 43 but act 27 and chase around and hang out with people in their 20's.
what are you going to do when you are 80?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
Jabroni: A loser, poser, lame-a%s.

One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

??? for real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships