U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,862,592 times

Advertisements

I don't have friends that I don't care for. The same goes for acquaintances. The latter gets the boot pretty easily if their behavior is inappropriate. Colleagues and members of my professional network are handled differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,711,064 times
because they can't do any better? or at least i couldn't then one day i dropped all my "friends" and now i'm friendless ...yay me!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,238,474 times
Because breaking up is always hard to do...

Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 AM

135 posts, read 152,303 times
Hello.

A friend is someone that i'd invite to my house or i'd accept an invite to theirs. I feel an element of trust and a bond, i'd help them if asked, i care and want them to be happy...

An aquaintance is someone that i'd arrange to meet for a coffee and a chat. I feel some empathy towards them but their happiness or lack of it would not affect my day...

Someone i know would get a nod in the street and maybe a 5min chat. They exist and it gives me a chance to use my vocal chords...

Someone i don't like gets ignored...

Now this is simplified (a lot) but you get my drift. As for Facebook and other social networks it's called a friends list, a list for your friends, a means for you to keep in touch with people you are friends with.

If they aren't a friend, and you all know what your own definition of a friend is, then just decide what catergory they are in and treat them accordingly.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,957,347 times
because they are afraid of being alone

Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,416,541 times
I have no ideal why people stay friends with people they don't like.
It's impossible, imho, to be friends with someone you don't like. You're supposed to like "friends", right? "Acquaintances" are a different thing. You can either like, dislike, or feel neutral about them.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,238,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I have no ideal why people stay friends with people they don't like.
It's impossible, imho, to be friends with someone you don't like. You're supposed to like "friends", right? "Acquaintances" are a different thing. You can either like, dislike, or feel neutral about them.
My friend annoys the heck out of me sometimes, sometimes I feel I don't like him, but our relationship is a bit deeper than that...it seems on this thread it's common to say 'ditch him/her' because they're simply annoying and because you simply don't like them. Now if they've got no redeeming qualities are plain unbearable I understand, but there's not a lot of putting up with people for the sake of friendship.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,121,611 times
I used to keep people in my life that I didn't like. I've come to the conclusion that it's a bad practice. It's best to be upfront and clear about your disdain. If you're not nice to people you dislike, they don't get the mistaken impression that you like them. So, they quit hanging around. It's a win-win. That said, there are very few people I dislike. I like most people I meet -- there are a chosen few who are irredeemably nasty though ... to the curb they go... there are too many cool people to hang with to waste my time with the bums.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 PM

306 posts, read 532,227 times
I have some facebook friends that I don't particularly care for, but they are high ranking people at work that I didn't want to offend by rejecting their request. If you work any place long enough you will eventually have to be friendly and cooperative to people you don't like.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 PM

35,120 posts, read 40,064,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
The other day 2 facebook friends of mine got into an argument on my wall. The guy friend was disrespectful and insulting to my girl friend in my opinion and I could tell by her posts, she was very offended. I later apologized for what was said on behalf of the other person, cuz I just felt bad for her. She was like, "it's alright we're friends" etc when clearly it bothered her. It got me wondering why some people stay friends with people they dislike. I am even guilty of it. There is one person on my facebook I really can't stand, yet I have compassion for her and what she's been through in her life. She has never really been a loyal friend to me, though, rather the opposite. It's like the old adage keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Plus, really good friends are hard to come by. Is it better to just turn the other cheek and accept people for who they are? It's hard to turn the other cheek when people do me wrong. If people don't like me or do me wrong, I tend to want to cut them out of my life, as I see no positive need for them to remain connected to me. So I thought I'd post this to gain a better insight about this topic.

Extra details: I suppose another way to describe the above topic would be dealing with 2-faced people. Do you avoid them or allow them to be part of your life. Is it harder to avoid them or harder embrace them? If you cut them out, does that make you look bad?

No way I voluntarily be around people I don't like, waste of my time and theirs besides it makes for a very uncomfortable, unpleasant evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships