Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:14 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times

Advertisements

Just curious who has dealt with this and how you reacted??

My father is pretty laid back about it, so no worries there. BUT.. my inlaws, ESPECIALLY my MIL, is pushing!!! She isn't outright saying "when do I get grandkids" - she is more at the hinting stage with comments like "you know, if you had kids, you wouldn't have to worry about a babysitter" or "your uncle mark really likes his grandbaby *big sigh*"

We're no where near ready for children.. we've been together for 4.5 yrs, married a little over 2, have had some major ups and downs, are still getting settled financially, and quite frankly I'm too selfish with my own hobbies / time / freedom to bring a little one into the picture. No worries, preventative measures are also in place! But, every get together or family functions... sure enough, she's right back at 'dropping' hints.

Soooo ... who here has dealt with this.. and how'd you deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 07:21 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
I havent dealt with it yet, but it sounds like a response such as " You'll get 'em when Im ready" ( said with a smile of course) is in order... if you dont, then its likely going to go beyond just hints.

In my experience, a direct answer to "hints" such as these ( i.e ones poking into your private decisions) is the best way to go to get the hinter to shush.
Hope it helps.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:22 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,487 times
Tell them to eff off. Seriously. What you're typing sounds like the script from some Hollywood "that's life" movie deal. If you do it, fine. If you don't, great.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:36 PM

I personally told her, and my husband's grandmother who is also on this band wagon, to eff off in a nice, polite way. They have both been keeping it mostly quiet around me, but the minute I leave the room they are backing my husband into a corner with it, figuratively speaking of course. He then reports back to me.

I am glad I am not dealing with it directly right now, but they will come back around to addressing me directly soon enough. My husband has been taking the stance of "you'll just have to wait until we're ready," but it does bother me that they are being persistant about it. They just won't leave it alone, and I have told him that he'll have to keep putting up with them until he really puts his foot down.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:39 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
What about telling them that you're not going to have them if they dont quit nagging? You'll adopt a chimpanzee instead.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:42 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
good idea............................

Old 11-27-2008, 07:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Anybody here seen the movie "She's having a baby"? This thread reminds me of the dinner scene. LOL

YouTube - She's Having A Baby Part 6/11
(skip to 5:00)

Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Anybody here seen the movie "She's having a baby"? This thread reminds me of the dinner scene. LOL

YouTube - She's Having A Baby Part 6/11
(skip to 5:00)
LOL

At least my husband knows how to grill a steak right!!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:58 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,179 times
Try to keep in mind that they're from a different generation and they don't mean any harm. They probably don't realize how pushy they're being. This may be their way of telling you that they think a lot of you, that they're happy you married their son, that they think you'll make beautiful babies. Tell them you want to be sure your finances are secure before having kids. That kind of thinking tends to appeal to older folks.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:50 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Tell them when you are ready they'll get an invitation to the conception See how many blinks before they get it.

Seriously, since they are using the divide and attack tactics, I'd suggest a united front. Both of you sit down with them and lay out the boundary that you'll have a kid if and when it's right for you. Until then the topic is not to be discussed. You might also lay out penalties for breaching the rule: something like an extra month putting it off for each time they nag you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships