Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,160,409 times

Advertisements

Puppies/dogs and kittens/cats melt the layer of ice around my heart just a little, because they are companions capable of showing affection without a motive. They don't scheme, they don't lie, they don't steal or break promises. They're (nearly) always happy to see you, and though they require a lot of care sometimes, they are relatively low maintenance.

People, on the other hand, will let you down. In addition, babies/kids are high maintenance, make messes, can be much more difficult to control, and can do horrible things once they are older. That, and you may not get the same return of affection from a child as you would from a pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:27 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,251,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Puppies/dogs and kittens/cats melt the layer of ice around my heart just a little, because they are companions capable of showing affection without a motive. They don't scheme, they don't lie, they don't steal or break promises.
You must have much more pure-hearted pets than I do. Mine are all little sneaks! My adult dog waits for me to take the puppy out in the morning so she can go see if I left his food unattended, the puppy tries to steal everything he can get his mouth around, and the cat drinks out of my coffee cup when I'm not looking! I still prefer dogs and cats to kids, but not because they're angels.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Pets are easy. Even the best of children are time-consuming and frustrating at time.

You take your dog on a walk once a day. You pour kibble into its bowl. You haul it to the vet once a year. With a cat, you do even less.

Meanwhile, kids are pretty much in need of your attention 24/7.

And, pets don't require any real interpersonal skills. Children do. Show me someone who prefers the company of animals to that of people and you're likely dealing with someone who just has never learned to deal with people at all.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Puppies/dogs and kittens/cats melt the layer of ice around my heart just a little, because they are companions capable of showing affection without a motive. They don't scheme, they don't lie, they don't steal or break promises. They're (nearly) always happy to see you, and though they require a lot of care sometimes, they are relatively low maintenance.

People, on the other hand, will let you down. In addition, babies/kids are high maintenance, make messes, can be much more difficult to control, and can do horrible things once they are older. That, and you may not get the same return of affection from a child as you would from a pet.
You know babies who scheme, lie, and break promises? Mean, mean babies!

Motivation-wise, actually, my dog has a motive for everything he does. Most living beings do. In his case, it's primarily to access food. And, he's high maintenance, and he makes messes.

Committing to a dog is obviously a much shorter-term commitment than committing to raising a child, too. I will live to see my dog die. Possibly not, with a future child or children.

I love my dog, but he's an animal. He's not a baby. He's not a "fur baby." He's not a person. He's a dog.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,767,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I love my dog, but he's an animal. He's not a baby. He's not a "fur baby." He's not a person. He's a dog.
I agree. I don't regard my pets as my babies. I much prefer pets to babies. I'd really rather not raise a baby.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,179,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
You must have much more pure-hearted pets than I do. Mine are all little sneaks! My adult dog waits for me to take the puppy out in the morning so she can go see if I left his food unattended, the puppy tries to steal everything he can get his mouth around, and the cat drinks out of my coffee cup when I'm not looking! I still prefer dogs and cats to kids, but not because they're angels.
A caffeinated cat!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM

464 posts, read 477,503 times
I want a puppy but I know I won't be able to care for one since I live in a apt and work every single day.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM

773 posts, read 1,253,807 times
Quote:
I feel the same way about my cat. I love him, but it's a different type of love, and in no way is it remotely similar to the feelings I have for human beings. My cat is a distinct species unto his own. The reason I love him is precisely because he's nothing like a human.

It kinda creeps me out when people refer to their pets as "babies," especially if they don't want/have children. This just screams "ISSUES!"

Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,994,134 times
I can call my dog a b-itch anytime I want.
I can get drunk and have sex in front of my dog w/o a care.
I won't have to worry about my dog staying out late or driving drunk.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,160,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Alright, alright. I don't have the best-behaved animals, but they get a free pass because I don't expect them to have the reasoning a person would.

Quote:
You know babies who scheme, lie, and break promises? Mean, mean babies!
They commonly grow up to be pains in the butt.
Also, I generally dislike other peoples' kids. Not the same with other peoples' pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships