U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2012, 11:00 PM

121 posts, read 192,260 times

Advertisements

If you lived in a small $100k house, struggled, but really good nice person met a friend you really liked and she lives in a huge home with new cars new everything. Would you still be her friend? Will it work out? Will you judge her for being successful? She hasn't judged me for being "poor". Seems down to earth, very cool. Wondering why co-workers are wiser to make friends with cause youre (most of time) in the same financial range.
What if I feel intimidated by her wealth?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 PM

621 posts, read 937,796 times
I think "poor" and "rich" are subjective, but I don't think people intentionally segregate by economic status, especially friends. I think what happens is that based on what you can each afford to do, socially, it becomes challenging to hang together. For instance, I have a friend who struggles financially and even going to happy hour or the movies with her is challenging because she would drink water, or not want to go. This made it uncomfortable for both us. On the flip side, I am not really trying to hang out with Kate Middleton because I definitely could not keep up with her lifestyle, or social circle nor would I want to. So by default I end up spending most time with people around my same socioeconomic grouping, which I think is similar for others. I'd say don't let what she has bother you, just don't try to keep up with the Joneses and get yourself into trouble.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 AM

121 posts, read 192,260 times
Thanks. Those were points I didn't think of.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:50 PM

830 posts, read 578,751 times
Be yourself and enjoy the friendship. Everybody is not hung up on financial status. I have friends who have much more than I have and some who have less. I do activities that I have to pay for with them based on what I can afford. It is nice to get invited to parties and other activities that I can not afford. My friends are not flashy or braggy, so the difference in finances is not obvious.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM

8,739 posts, read 5,018,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post
If you lived in a small $100k house, struggled, but really good nice person met a friend you really liked and she lives in a huge home with new cars new everything. Would you still be her friend? Will it work out? Will you judge her for being successful? She hasn't judged me for being "poor". Seems down to earth, very cool. Wondering why co-workers are wiser to make friends with cause youre (most of time) in the same financial range.

Yes it can work, I've had friends with a lot less then me and a lot more then me....it will become a problem if you start acting 'funny' because of the wealth situation and noticing things that aren't really happening. Some wealthy people can be extremely clueless and say insensitive things to a person that doesn't have the same money advantages as they do. For example, I had a female friend with about a 310 sq. ft closet and she constantly said to other gfs, "I have nothing to wear." I used to get embarrassed. She didn't see nothing wrong with telling something like this to other folks who barely had 3 pairs of jeans to their name. When a wealthy person is this way, very hard to get along with them.

If this girl seems down to earth and cool from the jump and isn't putting on airs about her money then it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM

42,843 posts, read 55,009,666 times
Quote:
It's just kind of hard to do some activities together - like dining, shopping, vacations, etc.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,562,208 times
I like poor people who bathe regularly.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 PM

45,174 posts, read 57,238,212 times
Quote:

Whether or not you would "feel intimidated" is a personal problem/issue, but there is no reason people with income disparities cannot be friends.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM

3,983 posts, read 2,545,391 times
Quote:

Not if they buy me stuff.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 PM

6,051 posts, read 5,363,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I like poor people who bathe regularly.
So do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships