Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I think its unfair to the baby who can't speak up for himself/herself. Its unsanitary and unhealthy. Your lips might have lipstick, cologne, lotion, smoker's breath, saliva, food breath or whatever, that could irritate the baby. A lot of pediatricians are advocating kissing an infant on the elbow since they cannot reach it, to prevent illness and germs. I think when adults kiss small children on the mouth that it could be construed as mild abuse, because you are forcing contact with them, that they may not want. When my daughter was little, my dad would peck her on the mouth and you could tell she didn't like it. I think a kiss on the mouth IS intimate and should be reserved for a significant other. I told me daughter to turn her head when grandpa wanted to kiss her to make sure that it landed on her cheek.
True. Saliva and respiratory body fluids are a great way to spread disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Wow....all I can say is wow. Never knew there were so many uptight people out there. I'm not a big lip kisser other than my various SO's over the years, but I don't find a peck at all sensual, sexual, or whatever you want to call it. It's just affectionate. Peck on the cheek is much preferred in my opinion, but definitely a peck on the lips is nothing to get freaked out by.

I was grossed out a little when my nephew's wife was kissed for about 7-8 seconds (and not really closed mouth) by her 4 year old son. I think she noticed my raised eyebrows and she said "He sees how his daddy kisses me and he is copying his dad". I'm thinking that that is a habit I would have nipped in the bud!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Wow....all I can say is wow. Never knew there were so many uptight people out there. I'm not a big lip kisser other than my various SO's over the years, but I don't find a peck at all sensual, sexual, or whatever you want to call it. It's just affectionate. Peck on the cheek is much preferred in my opinion, but definitely a peck on the lips is nothing to get freaked out by.

I was grossed out a little when my nephew's wife was kissed for about 7-8 seconds (and not really closed mouth) by her 4 year old son. I think she noticed my raised eyebrows and she said "He sees how his daddy kisses me and he is copying his dad". I'm thinking that that is a habit I would have nipped in the bud!

Yea, read the thread again, nor does anyone else get freaked out by a peck on the cheeks. The problem is a smacker on the lips. Get your lingo right.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:05 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
The only thing "not right" is probably your reaction. It is clearly not your business. So stay out of it is probably the best policy.

That something does not "feel right" to you does not make it inappropriate. It just makes it something YOU should never do.

On the contrary - instinct is telling this person there's something afoot.
Many times (not all, I admit) when "it" later comes out in the wash people look back and realize there was some prior instance or behavior that was odd. That was the clue they decided to ignore or suppressed due to the unpalatable consequences.

If something feels not quite right, think about it twice before dismissing it.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:26 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea, read the thread again, nor does anyone else get freaked out by a peck on the cheeks. The problem is a smacker on the lips. Get your lingo right.
No need to be so crabby and judgemental about it, especially when you're wrong.

You can peck on the lips. A peck is just a small, quick, dry kiss. It can be on the cheek, the mouth, or my behind. (I know, moderator, snip away)

Old 05-23-2014, 06:47 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No need to be so crabby and judgemental about it, especially when you're wrong.

You can peck on the lips. A peck is just a small, quick, dry kiss. It can be on the cheek, the mouth, or my behind. (I know, moderator, snip away)
No please don't! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
The only thing "not right" is probably your reaction. It is clearly not your business. So stay out of it is probably the best policy.

That something does not "feel right" to you does not make it inappropriate. It just makes it something YOU should never do.
Hello, monumentus. Been a while! I'm actually on your side on this one, with the exception of any talk of "my business"/"your business", naturally. My mom used to kiss me on the lips all the time when I was an infant and it never hurt me none hurt me none hurt me none

Old 05-23-2014, 08:06 PM

356 posts, read 1,269,084 times
My ex husbands family kisses on the lips.. it took a long time for me to remember when i go to kiss them hello or good bye id always turn my cheek.. but i try and remember because that is how they say hello goodbye.. its all good

Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjscully View Post
my daughters boyfriend kisses my 7 yr old granddaughter on the lips with an open mouth for a long time, I do not like it at all and it makes me worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea you should be worried.

Ask the granddaughter for one if she is ok with that. I assume the parents are oblivious.
Hmmm, the boyfriend kisses his girlfriend's daughter with an open mouth ! ? !
for a long time ! ? !

Frankly, I would be pretty worried that the next step will be kissing with his tongue going through his open mouth into the 7 year old's mouth, for a long time.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
wow....all i can say is wow. Never knew there were so many uptight people out there. I'm not a big lip kisser other than my various so's over the years, but i don't find a peck at all sensual, sexual, or whatever you want to call it. It's just affectionate. Peck on the cheek is much preferred in my opinion, but definitely a peck on the lips is nothing to get freaked out by.

I was grossed out a little when my nephew's wife was kissed for about 7-8 seconds (and not really closed mouth) by her 4 year old son. I think she noticed my raised eyebrows and she said "he sees how his daddy kisses me and he is copying his dad". i'm thinking that that is a habit i would have nipped in the bud!
lol. :d

Old 05-24-2014, 08:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I would HATE if any family members kissed me on the lips, and I think I would say something if he/she tried to. Hell, I rarely even kiss them on the cheeks! I guess I'm not a kisser except with my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships