Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,382,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I do think its short-sighted, perhaps not narcissitic.The reality of growing old alone is a harsh oneIf he is suggesting that he would just live with someone, then he are openly saying that exploiting someone else is the preference
Selfish.
I would NEVER have children for that reason (to take care of me later on or help me feel less alone). That is rather selfish actually. If I had a son or daughter, I would openly tell them to go live their lives when it's their time to fly the nest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,311,694 times
The economy is partly why I'm saving up my money now. I don't want to have to delay parenthood although I kind of already am. Ideally, I would have already liked to have a baby by now. I'd like to have a baby by the time I'm 24.

I do know many couples who have delayed having children or having additional children because of the economy, which is a very sad thing. But history cycles itself. During the Great Depression, the birth rate fell to very low levels, but started to increase again by the 1940s as the couples who didn't or couldn't have children due to the Depression were now having them. This increase continued on until it spiked up in 1946, starting the all famous baby boom of the 50s era. The economic prosperity of the 1950s allowed young married couples to have larger families because they could afford to have more children.

I agree with redvelvet709 though, it is sad and selfish to not want children.

Last edited by 90sman; 03-19-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,295,104 times
I never wanted to have kids, but the current state of the economy just validated a lot of beliefs that i've already had throughout my life.

No kids, no serious relationships, just quick flings with the kitty and traveling are all that i'm interested in.

The fact that I have no desire to have children does disappoint lots of people in my family but this is my life to live not theirs.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,271,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I never wanted to have kids, but the current state of the economy just validated a lot of beliefs that i've already had throughout my life.

No kids, no serious relationships, just quick flings with the kitty and traveling are all that i'm interested in.

The fact that I have no desire to have children does disappoint lots of people in my family but this is my life to live not theirs.
Yeah, I thought the same way after finishing colleges and watching some of my friends rapidly go through some contentious divorces that involved young kids. The passage of time, and today's economic uncertainties, have helped solidify my point of view.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,931,333 times
Does marriage even make sense anymore? If you are young and want to have children it may be better in this economy to avoid marriage. If you are laid off and in a tough situation, you will get a lot more help as a single mother than you will as half of a married couple with a child.

If you are older, you may also wish to avoid marriage. You stand to lose SS and Widow's/Widower bennies if you remarry. Also you pay the marriage penalty of higher taxes.

I've seen a lot of financial suffering related to having children one can't afford. I think it would be even harder to commit to children today when things are so bad and you aren't sure of your next paycheck.

I'm just talking about economics, not morals or beliefs.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 PM

26,684 posts, read 41,565,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
So what you are saying is that you are going to opt out of love and family and the rewards that come with being a part of something bigger than yourself because of a little potential financial stress?!!

Narcissism at its' finest, folks. You are dressing this up as a concern for future family-mates and kids, but in reality, it is an excuse to avoid growing up.
What rewards?

So growing up is having a family and not emotionally maturing?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Does marriage even make sense anymore? If you are young and want to have children it may be better in this economy to avoid marriage.

I'm just talking about economics, not morals or beliefs.
And have a child out of wedlock?! That isn't right. We already have 40% of our babies born illegitimately, we don't need that figure to keep rising.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,187,946 times
I've decided to get a vasectomy, at 26. I have no kids, and it never was my thing. It's going to be hard enough to become independent on my own, so having kids is out of the question.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,187,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
And have a child out of wedlock?! That isn't right. We already have 40% of our babies born illegitimately, we don't need that figure to keep rising.
I think your name should be 20s man. There's no magical bond that makes kids better if there's a piece of paper with ink on it.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I think your name should be 20s man. There's no magical bond that makes kids better if there's a piece of paper with ink on it.
Yes, there is. Marriage is a sacred union under God. It's wrong to have a baby born outside of marriage. Children are one of the reasons it was even invented. But what is 20s supposed to mean? I don't understand how a time period has anything to do with this. Morality never goes out of fashion. smh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships