Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:02 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So, I have come to realize that even though we are avid tap water drinkers, we have to keep a couple of bottles of water in our fridge because of snooty guests who only want bottled water.

This kind of cheezes me off, because I see it as horrible for the environment, and our tap water is perfectly fine here. And what the hell do they think the ice is made of?

How about y'all? Do you keep food or drink or something in your house just for guests? We don't drink soda anymore, but I am guessing I will need to have a couple of diet cokes or something in my fridge to offer people who stop by, too.
My husband drinks whole milk, so when his relatives come to visit we buy a gallon of skim milk, since that is what they drink. Those are the only people who visit.

As for the water issue. We have a 400 foot well and the water is mighty cold and sweet that comes out of it, so you couldn't buy better water if you tried. I don't blame your guests for wanting bottled water. I woudn't drink the chlorinated, fluoridated poison that flows out of the tap in most municipalities either. But I would just bring my own bottled water rather than expecting someone else to provide it for me.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh pffftttt.

I have well water. A lot of times I will bottle up some because people want it to take some home.

My yankee city family will be coming in for Easter. I suspose I should buy some eggs although I have 25 hens. They wont eat my eggs because as they say "ick, they come out of a chickens butt".
I am not sure of well water. I grew up in a house with a well in the garden. It was natural water and was always chill.

But that's not the water coming out of a tap, with chlorine and all sorts of chemical elements. If only they will put some organic compounds in it, the whole foods green nutters will readily drink it coz it has the word "organic" in it.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:04 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Yes, luckily they invented bottled water shortly after man learned to walk upright, otherwise the entire species would have died out.
I do love your wit!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I am not sure of well water. I grew up in a house with a well in the garden. It was natural water and was always chill.

But that's not the water coming out of a tap, with chlorine and all sorts of chemical elements. If only they will put some organic compounds in it, the whole foods green nutters will readily drink it coz it has the word "organic" in it.
People seem to be focusing on taste, as if that's what makes water good or bad. (which is silly)

Well water tastes great, but is far more likely to be contaminated.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
My one friend who has game night on sat always askes everyone to bring something to snack on or drink for everyone. One friend of ours brings been & most of the time he bring some type that no one else likes.
So there is always food or drinks left over at her house at all times.

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
So, I have come to realize that even though we are avid tap water drinkers, we have to keep a couple of bottles of water in our fridge because of snooty guests who only want bottled water.

This kind of cheezes me off, because I see it as horrible for the environment, and our tap water is perfectly fine here. And what the hell do they think the ice is made of?

How about y'all? Do you keep food or drink or something in your house just for guests? We don't drink soda anymore, but I am guessing I will need to have a couple of diet cokes or something in my fridge to offer people who stop by, too.
Nope....absolutely not. For starters, we don't have any snooty-nosed friends. Also, we don't drink our tap water. We have a 5 gal, hot/cold water dispenser. We take our bottles to the local supermarket, which has a water jug filling station. It's only $2.49 for 5 gallons and it's AMAZING water. Since purchasing our dispenser, we now drink about 10x more water around here.

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Between your first insulting comment and this one, I have to wonder if the 'diseases' haven't already gotten you.

And I say this as someone who choses to drink bottled water as my beverage of choice because of my preference in the taste of it. Most bottled waters I actually actively dislike but if I do have a choice I will buy either Contrex ( my favourite by far, high calcium and magnesium content and my body seems to crave it for some reason)or Evian. I also love Perrier, Ty Nant and Highlands Spring and would chose those in a restaurant over any other drinks.

I have no aversion to tap water at all though, some of it is lovely ( my local one is not and tastes very chloriney- we tried a water filter but it did nothing for the taste ),some of it is vile. I don't carry my own supply of water with me because as you say you can always find water everywhere.

But the idea that we will catch lots of terrible diseases from drinking tap water is ridiculous. Unless you live in a third world country it seems pretty safe.

And I agree a lot of people drink tap water to "pose".

Personally for me raised up on various bottled mineral water ( being French it has been the norm for many decades) I have become rather apt at telling the difference between a lot of waters and my choice is one of taste not what people think of me. I drink it because to me it tastes nicer than most waters around, bottled or tap.

And as wasteful as bottled water is compared to most drinks which require water as well as energy, ingredient, resources etc... to manufacture it is not that bad if it is treated as a beverage rather than just life sustaining moisture for your system.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. It's nothing insulting to observe which people readily draw things out of your fridge and which ones don't. The difference is acutely cultural.

Tap water is incredibly rude to guests. It's tap water. Comes out of a tap. I use it for nothing other than washing dishes.

Shape up and get bottled water, Stan.

Pretty high-maintenance for a guy. You just have delicate sensibilities.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
People seem to be focusing on taste, as if that's what makes water good or bad. (which is silly)
Water has taste? It feels good when one is sweaty, but that's not coz the water is tasty.

I'm sure people have tried this. Turn the tap water on, and turn it to the heat side and see the water's colour change, it looks like muddy water. Now some people say it's okay, but I'm not drinking it and I'm not giving it to the people who visit me.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
We like entertaining and having guests, so if we know we're having company and said company has a preference or enjoys something specifically, we try and have it on hand regardless of what it is: food, beverages, music, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships