U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,594,270 times

Advertisements

I look at most of my friends from school, the neighborhood or work, and they are all characters in one form or another, and speak their minds. One factor might be growing up in two very large metro areas, including SoCal which is a magnet for characters and individualists, in addition to being a place that is irreverent when it comes to political correctness (that is changing, I've heard). Then, throw in the mix of either immigrant or first-gen friends I had, and it felt as if one was living in a sitcom. One friend from my small college told me, "Man, you knew all the foreign students, it's like you were the 'welcome wagon'." I have a sibling who seems to know more of the WASPy golf-playing white picket fence crowd. I think I count one WASP as a friend, I didn't plan it that way, but everyone I know is Italian, Hispanic, Jewish, Japanese, black, Middle-Eastern, with an occasional Irish-Catholic thrown into the mix.

Is your mix of friends eclectic and entertaining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,044,441 times
Uh huh.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,411,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I look at most of my friends from school, the neighborhood or work, and they are all characters in one form or another, and speak their minds. One factor might be growing up in two very large metro areas, including SoCal which is a magnet for characters and individualists, in addition to being a place that is irreverent when it comes to political correctness (that is changing, I've heard). Then, throw in the mix of either immigrant or first-gen friends I had, and it felt as if one was living in a sitcom. One friend from my small college told me, "Man, you knew all the foreign students, it's like you were the 'welcome wagon'." I have a sibling who seems to know more of the WASPy golf-playing white picket fence crowd. I think I count one WASP as a friend, I didn't plan it that way, but everyone I know is Italian, Hispanic, Jewish, Japanese, black, Middle-Eastern, with an occasional Irish-Catholic thrown into the mix.

Oh, yeah. As is my family.

So Cal all the way. I love it when I'm the Token White

Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM

639 posts, read 683,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, yeah. As is my family.

So Cal all the way. I love it when I'm the Token White
lol, I love being the "exotic" one too haha

Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,166,744 times
I'm from SoCal as well - my town was actually 50% Asian. Now I live in New York. My friends are definitely characters - but I'm a performer and most of them are or were at one time - so I think it goes with the territory.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:54 PM

639 posts, read 683,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

ya, those cosmopolitan, multilingual/"polyglot" areas like nyc, london, la, etc are cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships