Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do your friends look like?
We have similar ethnic and cultural backgrounds with similar upbringing 7 11.86%
We are diverse culturally and ethnically, but have similar social classes/upbringing. 6 10.17%
We are diverse culturally or ethnically, but not both. 2 3.39%
We are really diverse in all aspects: class, ethnicity and culture. 30 50.85%
I never thought about it. 14 23.73%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"black box"
Interesting, did you come up with that expression. And of course we all know people who live inside that box of other groups: They may need the structure, security, sureity, safety and boundries that come with the box.

As far as only watching Black entertainment or White enterainment for that matter, I don't know how you could do that? Even Spike Lee's movies encompass our multi ethnic perspective these days. There is a lot of TV that has a mostly AA cast that are as good as it gets. The only shows I don't care for are the latest batch of Reality like shows that Re-enforce racial stereotypes. Those are more like train wrecks so I can see why they have captured their audience.
Basically if its not a majority black cast, they aint interested.

And yes, I did coin the phrase "black box".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:24 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Growing up in Aruba I had Dutch, British, Aruban and American friends, many of whom I am still in contact with. In California I had Korean, Filipino, Japanese, Canadian, Hispanic and American white and American black friends. In Saudi Arabia I had British, Irish, German, French, Filipino, Malaysian, Guyanese, Jordanian, Canadian, Indian, Lebanese, American, and Saudi friends plus one gay and one American black friend. Out here where I live now it's all white farmers and most of them have lived here all their lives.

No wonder you changed your "user title"!

LoL!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
I'm pretty diverse myself so I get along with most everybody.

Africans, black Americans, white Americans, christians, atheists, rich people, poor people, muslims, asians

I don't really have any latina friends though. It's a shame, I think the girls are hot..

Old 04-09-2012, 05:16 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So what is it like in your life? Do you strive to make all types of friends? Is it something that isn't on your radar at all? Or is it something that you haven't had an opportunity to do? Something you are starting to do?

After all the discussions on interracial dating, a discussion on interracial and intercultural friendships seemed appropriate.
I wouldn't say I strive to make different types of friends... although I do have friends who are from different parts of the world... Australia is a fairly diverse place though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I wonder how many of you have friends that are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender?

Just curious.

Yes, two of my close friends are gay/lesbian.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Do you have diverse friendships?
Of course. Just like the good ol USA, my friends are from all walks of life, all types of religions, all colors, all shapes, and all everything else.

I cant imagine it EVER being anything different. I was born and raised here in Los Angeles and just feel that THAT is just how it IS.

Most of my friends are people I met either through the practice of and teaching martial arts, just hanging out and chatting/meeting people at one (or more) of the local coffee houses, or people I met through my wife's circle of friends who are all professional dancers and/or yoga practitioners and cirque du soleil type acrobats/performers.

They are a mix of all different cultures, languages, religions, sexual orientations (mosty gay or bisexual women, not that many gay guys), races and most of them have married to someone different than them and have had children who are reaping the benefits of multi cultural families.

My closest CLOSEST friends among all of my friends are:

Asian male with half white/hispanic wife - Beautiful kids
Asian Male with cuban wife
Indian Male with Russian wife
black male with asian wife - beautiful kids
Asian male with Persian wife - beautiful kids
Jordanian male with Italian American wife

Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I'm a straight married so long, cannot believe it from a young age and still happily married, infact for us with the fifties, it got better, and yes you can teach an old dog new tricks!

My best friend is gay. Did not plan that to happen, it just did, beside that one fact of her life, we get along great, she is funny, and i love to laugh, can sing really great has a good voice, i suck, so appreciate her singing.
We have a lot of the same interests, and do share some of the same friendships with others.
We can confide in each other, like no other, we are extremely close, close as any two people can be without any sex, i'm straight shes not. I''m married to a man, she finds this gross.
The closeness came out of some tragedys, we both expereinced, and this is how the friendship grew.
I don't set out to put any one person above another, friendships just happen. I have mexicans, blacks, europeans, friends from S. Africa, Sweeden, Japan, i do not look at a person, and decide who will be my friend based on what race or color they are. These things evolve over time, with same interests. people caring about things that are close to your heart. Helping those who need to be helped etc.
Can't tell from this forum, but i sincerely love people, love to entertain, everybody, and see them get joy from my cooking and baking.
I do need to clarify something here. There is no touching between us, the relationship is not that kind. It is one of fondness, caring, love, and confiding in each other.
To those that have emailed me. Her being with a women is her choice, not mine. But i will not hold that against our friendship, if people constantly do things like this, you will never know just how good of a friend this person can be.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I do need to clarify something here. There is no touching between us, the relationship is not that kind. It is one of fondness, caring, love, and confiding in each other.
To those that have emailed me. Her being with a women is her choice, not mine. But i will not hold that against our friendship, if people constantly do things like this, you will never know just how good of a friend this person can be.
I am staggered that you had to clarify this at all.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I have rich friends, poor friends, asian friends, white friends, democrat friends, republican friends, women friends, men friends, old friends, young friends, religious friends (of all faiths), atheist friends, professional friends, blue collar friends, out-of-work friends...I don't have a lot of hispanic or black friends, though. They seem harder to meet for some reason. I mean, I have many acquaintances and coworkers I get along with...the other one is that most of my friends are straight. Not much opportunity to meet gay people since we don't go out of our way to go find them.

Most of my friends are college/graduate degree holders, though. Almost all my relatives are.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We have black friends, white friends, Asian friends, hispanic friends, Italian friends and friends we don't know what they are. I guess we're diversified. Friends are friends and we enjoy all of them.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I am staggered that you had to clarify this at all.

I did not have too. But reread what i wrote, and though it came off wrong. She is such a funny person, makes everyone laugh, as ellen does.
Your right i did not have too. She also loves my husband but not in that way.
She just does not like guys in that way, but other then the sex part, has no problems with men at all.
And i'm not sorry, but i love men. My husband.
I look at it like this, to eaches own, and who the hell am i to pass judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships