Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
No one else can ruin your day/mood/life unless you let them.

People are entitled to be as grumpy as they want, particularly the elderley IMO.

Personally I'm quite fond of a grouch. It cuts all the false niceness that so many people display.
Why? Just because you're older you get a pass to be a complete douche? I never understood this logic.

Do I get a free pass to be a douche cause I'm disabled? (I don't think I do, but I wonder if you would let me get away with being a douche if I were a douche around you.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Most people have had plenty of horrible things happen in their lives but they don't feel the need to act like they are the only ones in the world who it has happened to. Most bitter people can't fathom that anything bad has happened to anyone besides them, and they wouldn't listen to a person even if they tried talking because they'd be too busy spouting off about how their life is still more difficult.

A person who is happy go lucky might have had a tougher life than the person next to them, they just don't want to push off that toxic attitude to the next person.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Easy to say if nothing (or hardly anything) happened to you. I find it to be a very judgmental, self-centered, and annoying phrase many happy-go-luckies like to parrot!
I agree with the 10% what happens/90% your reaction and I have been through a lot.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm sure you know at the ripe old age of 20 something.
Age isn't everything. Some people have been through more than others, even if they are the same age.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Completely and utterly disagree. Again, the fundamental quality of bitter people is self-centeredness, the belief that their pain and suffering is completely unique, never endured by anybody else in the entirety of human history. Nobody could possibly understand what they're going through. Nobody could possibly do better under the same set of circumstances. It's hopeless. Woe is me. Nobody else has lost his job. Nobody else has been divorced. Nobody else has health issues.
I disagree. You make good points, but the approach is a little idealistic. The post you respond to makes good points, too. Seriously, if people knew what was going to happen on 9/11, they would have happily scheduled a dentist appointment that morning. There are a lot of "wild card" issues in life, and some get handed bad decks more frequently than others. Bitterness, and its extent, is a function of both cumulative life experiences (ratio of negative to positive ones) and resources available to cope. How the latter develop differently in different people is something in which I am no expert. I vent about stuff to friends. Friends vent about stuff to me. I think letting off some steam is necessary. I think it's partly cultural. That's why I make comments about demographics and whatnot, because there are places and cultures where this is not acceptable. That said, people shouldn't implode from bitterness. Conversely, there's a limit as to how much they can, and should, dump onto other people.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Don't assume just because someone may be bitter about one thing that they're a bitter person. You can be bitter about something without bitterness consuming you. Just because you become angry about something in particular does that make you an angry person? Use your minds peripheral vision here.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:07 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
The saying Misery Loves Company is about a type of person you describe.

That person cannot see the wisdom, example of bringing people up. They get a sick, dark, pleasure in taking people down to their level-it feels good to them. It is wretched, pitiful.

I see the Internet brings out that side in many. I see folks that have addictive traits sometimes have that quality.

I stay away from those people very successfully.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM

Default idealistic.? get a dictionary

[quote=robertpolyglot;24230586]I disagree. You make good points, but the approach is a little idealistic.

Maybe you meant to say narrow or some other word?

Old 02-05-2014, 03:12 PM

The OP is speaking about bitter people. Funny how folks chiming in want to change the convo to some variation thereof, maybe not good listeners? You can start your own thread about sometimes bitter people.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,939 times
The really bitter, passive-aggressive people I have known are miserable people who feel they've been cheated in life in some way, BUT to protect their pride, instead of looking at THEIR part in their misery, they delude themselves into believing it's everyone else's fault and therefore everyone else deserves to be punished for it. Chronically bitter people are narcissistic, immature, and stuck.

They'd rather externalize the blame and remain the victim in their own eyes, than make the changes that they need to make in their own lives, because that involves facing their own feelings of powerlessness and their fear of failure, of not being good enough.

It's basically a giant defense mechanism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships