U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2012, 12:37 AM

14,468 posts, read 15,776,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think it's king of a form of voyeurism. Seeing how people did in life and comparing them to you.It's all so silly, competitive and show offy. Very phony.

I didn't hate High School and I didn't love it. It was just a bunch of random people who's parents made about the same amount of money as mine and bought homes in the same area. Why on earth would I necessarily have anything in common with these random people?

College was a whole different thing. I chose my college based on my interests, the type of academic, social and political climate that I enjoyed and my academic achievement.
Not surprisingly, these people are still mt friends.

High School? Who cares.
I Agree.

college I had more friends you had things in common with etc., people had more varied interests.
(Im from L.I. too,lol) . No interest in going back to visit, also many moved out so the area isnt even remotely the same anyway.

H.S. is a faded memory.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:47 AM

10,982 posts, read 9,462,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I Agree.

college I had more friends you had things in common with etc., people had more varied interests.
(Im from L.I. too,lol) . No interest in going back to visit, also many moved out so the area isnt even remotely the same anyway.

H.S. is a faded memory.
"H.S. is a faded memory" love this! Could not have said it better myself.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 AM

11,531 posts, read 9,718,213 times
If you are one of these never-forget-never-forgive types, who were bullied in high school, like I was, it's best to stay clear of these events, and if you do go, resist the temptation to take a gun along with you!

It took me a long time to recover from the emotional damage of my high school experiences, and I'll only go to one if I'm the only survivor at age 100!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:54 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,104,517 times
I've never been to one and there's one this year, the year when we'll all have 'turned 40'.

I don't live in the area where i went to school and never kept in touch with anyone, don't wish to get in touch with any of them and couldn't really care less if they didn't exist.

My wife thinks i should go as she wants me to take her, she thinks it'd be "fun to watch you enjoy yourself". I had a bad time at school, when i left i was 6ft and 120lb, now i'm 6'3" and 210lb.

My wife has an evil sense of humour.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 AM

11,531 posts, read 9,718,213 times
Those of us who were bullied in my high school stuck together for emotional comfort, but the two I hung out with died in their 20's. My friend Mark died of an asthma attack at 25 and I don't remember what Mike died of.

But then, even if they were still alive, it's unlikely they'd go to a high school reunion, so why go if they're not going to be there?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,784,600 times
I will be going. I'm on our commitee,10 years. I'm in town. I've calmed down a lot since then. I still see a ton of people on a daily basis...

Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,776,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"H.S. is a faded memory" love this! Could not have said it better myself.

Yes, and in the area we are from its all new people , new people relocating etc...I dont think more than one gf (on her 3rd marriage)still lives in my actual same hometown. Its not like Mayberry USA, lol. I guess a small town where no one moves out may be different.

Society is mobile today, I have lived in 5 different states as most people I know from college have, some even live overseas.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 AM

2,383 posts, read 655,446 times
I utterly despised my high school and all its cliques. I still live in the same town unfortunately (retired), and I never have attended a reunion. I don't ever plan to, either. I graduated in 1971, and I have no desire to be around those people again.

College was a different experience. I loved it and made some great friends I would love to see again.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 AM

15,679 posts, read 4,840,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
After no contact with any of them, i went to our 40th birthday party. Didn't get organized for our 15th or 20th reunion. It was a blast! I was so glad i went back for it. HS was not a great time for me but i did have friends i wanted to see.
My 40th is next week!

For the first time in Forty Years, I'm flying down and going to attend it.

Why? Because I am happy with how my life turned out and I want to see how my classmates are doing after 40 years.

Interestingly, the main event - a banquet - isn't going to held at a hotel or country club or catering hall ... it's going to be held at the home of one of my fellow classmates. You see, it's a big waterfront mansion in Boca Raton. When I googled the address to get driving directions (I'm going to rent a car when I arrive at Ft. Lauderdale Airport) the Palm Beach County tax records came up, and being the nosy person I am (I knew it was a huge mansion, and Boca Raton is a very affluent town) I discovered for tax purposes the house and property was appraised for $4.5 Million! Now I know why this classmate insisted on having the event at his sumptuous domicile!!!

I also want to officially come out as a gay person at the reunion ... although I don't think that will be a real shock to some of my classmates as I was very active in my high school's chapter of the National Thespian Society.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 AM

2,063 posts, read 3,076,449 times
Default yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh. Who goes to these? Worth going? Or not? Anyone?

I hated high school. Went to the five year....not friends with anyone from high school...really ambivalent about it...
I felt totally the same way so I decided to attend my 10 year reunioin just out of spite...LOL...so glad I did. I had changed...alot...and not a single person recognized me...walked in...had a few drinks and walked out... was just about the only one w/all my own hair and a flat belly...
laughed about it all the way home.
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships