Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:04 PM

865 posts, read 1,481,067 times

Advertisements

We never had a high school reunion for my class, I think the members of the student counsel all moved hundreds of miles away and never bothered. I can't say I am too sad about that :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:18 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,176,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh. Who goes to these? Worth going? Or not? Anyone?

I hated high school. Went to the five year....not friends with anyone from high school...really ambivalent about it...
I didn't go to mine. I think the only people who go to them, or care to, are those who were apart of the popular crowd. After visiting my high school's page and seeing the reunion photos, it didn't surprise me to see all of the old jock simpletons and other prissy people back together again. I'll probably go to the 20th anniversary. That's when the majority of them will be unhappily divorced, have children they're being raped on child support for, on their second, third, or fourth marriage, and generally unhappy with their job or career of choice.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM

18,179 posts, read 25,737,861 times
I went to my 10, 20, and 25 year reunions, haven't been to any since.

The ten year reunion found lots of people as burnt out hippies who couldn't relate to 90% of the crowd. And most of the guys in the crowd were passing out business cards and strutting around like banty roosters.

The twenty year reunion was quite different. My area of the country was stuck in a flat economy, people were somewhat more subdued and seemed to be more honest with themselves about their lot in life. Most, not all though. And most of the talk was about family, layoffs, taking care of aging parents, etc.

It wasn't so surprising to see how people would change; gaining weight, losing weight, etc. I was the exception to THAT rule. I was involved with sports. When you're 6'7" people generally remember you all those years ago. I take that back, I did change somewhat-I gained 85 pounds since I graduated! lol

Still, I was good with high school from the standpoint of friends I stay in contact with to this day.They go back over 4 decades. And on Veterans Day I think of the others I graduated with who went to Vietnam and didn't make it back, two of whom are still missing. Not from my memories though.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,026,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaridad View Post
I never hated the school or the individuals rather, I hated the cliques that were to be found in all the school I attended. different towns, different people yet I always found the same cliques. You know the jock clique, the pretty girl clique, the nerd clique, the hippie clique, the republican clique, the democratic clique... In all they were nice guys and gals but when they got together no one else existed and they talked badly about and down to individuals from other cliques.
So what does this have to do with reunions? well the reunions at the school from which I graduated.have been handled/taken over by members of two predominant groups the pretty girl cliques and the jock clique (my descriptions).
I met a member of the nerd clique and when I asked if there was going to be a 30th reunion I was told that he didn't know. He hadn't been notified or invited to any reunion. that was my experience.
on the year of our 35th reunion I went to a dinner after a funeral near our school (two towns over) and accidentally found myself in my years school reunion. I wasn't hurt just puzzled. when I asked the organizers why they hadn't tried to contact me. they told me I hadn't gone to the school. when i showed them my photo in the year book they said they didn't know me and that the reunion was for only people that they knew and liked when they went to the school.
yes I wasn't in the school for long 9 months, I was an immigrant who atttended five school in the four years of HS. (I actually served people in the graduation prom.) Ergo I never expected to be held as a dear friend.
And that is why I have never attended the reunions. never invited, the people involved/responsible didn't want to invite all the members of the class only those who they were friends with. I don't think I'm the only one.
Sorry for the lenght of the response.
THAT is not a high school reunion, that is a private get-together of friends.

Every high school reunion that I have ever heard of (besides the the school that you went to) invited everyone that they could find and they would work very hard to find as many people as they could.

I'm sorry that those people were such jerks.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 AM

541 posts, read 939,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh. Who goes to these? Worth going? Or not? Anyone?

I hated high school. Went to the five year....not friends with anyone from high school...really ambivalent about it...

I am going to mine. I need to have closure which is why I am going.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:12 AM

541 posts, read 939,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not a fan. I haven't attended one. My feeling is this. If you didn't like these people enough to maintain a relationship with them after graduation, or if you all went in different directions, and learned that you have less and less in common in the years following high school, then why go yo this event?

It seems to me that these reunions often stir up some not so nice feelings. The nerdy boy who is now a powerful business men, the awkward girl, who was quiet and unpopular is now a beauty wuth an exciting career.

The cheerleaders got fat and didn't age well, the jock is a near do well drunk.

I have nothing against getting together with old friends, if it happens in a natural way. But this is too staged.

That's a stereotype....I am facebook friends with many people I went to high school. They look exactly the same....except older. There were some jocks who become losers. But my guy wasnt. : ) He's still a hunk now except thicker in all the right places. hehe

Old 06-13-2012, 03:38 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,960,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My 20th is next month. I have no intentions on going. I skipped the 10 yr reunion as well. I graduated with 1300 people and have fond memories of those days, but I'm no longer in contact with anyone except for being "friends" on Facebook with a number of them.
My 20th is next year and I don't intend going. I was forced by my brother to go since we are twins but this time I wont go. I only in contact with one via facebook. I hated high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships