Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

Ugh. Who goes to these? Worth going? Or not? Anyone?

I hated high school. Went to the five year....not friends with anyone from high school...really ambivalent about it...

Last edited by jasper12; 05-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
After no contact with any of them, i went to our 40th birthday party. Didn't get organized for our 15th or 20th reunion. It was a blast! I was so glad i went back for it. HS was not a great time for me but i did have friends i wanted to see.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 PM

207 posts, read 535,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh. Who goes to these? Worth going? Or not? Anyone?

I hated high school. Went to the five year....not friends with anyone from high school...really ambivalent about it...
mine is next year and i am in the same boat your in. i am definitely not going.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Not a fan. I haven't attended one. My feeling is this. If you didn't like these people enough to maintain a relationship with them after graduation, or if you all went in different directions, and learned that you have less and less in common in the years following high school, then why go yo this event?

It seems to me that these reunions often stir up some not so nice feelings. The nerdy boy who is now a powerful business men, the awkward girl, who was quiet and unpopular is now a beauty wuth an exciting career.

The cheerleaders got fat and didn't age well, the jock is a near do well drunk.

I have nothing against getting together with old friends, if it happens in a natural way. But this is too staged.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
True. There is really no point in going. No one I want to hook up with or see anything about those folks. High school was just so....ugh.

I am not married...don't want to be...I am sure there are those who would view being single and happy as, "failure".

My job is great. But...again...seeing it thru someone else's microscope...."failure"...I don't make $200,000 a year.

Thin? Fat? Who cares....

After processing this for a few...I really feel like this would take me back to a negative place I don't want to remember or go back to....I have no burning desire to see any of those people again. I am happy. I don't need a night of negativity.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Not meaning to sound like a snob but I really didnt like many people in high school. Then when Facebook started to get really popular I started getting friend requests. Curiosity got the better of me, I even went to the trouble of visiting a few former HS friends and found the experience to be really awkward. I had even less in common into adulthood. I didnt go to any reunions and never will.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not a fan. I haven't attended one. My feeling is this. If you didn't like these people enough to maintain a relationship with them after graduation, or if you all went in different directions, and learned that you have less and less in common in the years following high school, then why go yo this event?

It seems to me that these reunions often stir up some not so nice feelings. The nerdy boy who is now a powerful business men, the awkward girl, who was quiet and unpopular is now a beauty wuth an exciting career.

The cheerleaders got fat and didn't age well, the jock is a near do well drunk.

I have nothing against getting together with old friends, if it happens in a natural way. But this is too staged.
Honestly, I graduated in 2003 but high school seems like so long ago. Who even keeps grudges like that anyone? I don't have any bad blood to those who bullied me, I don't even think a bout it much at all.

Will I go to mine, next year? Maybe, if I can be bothered. Don't have a burning curiosity to see what everyone's up to: in fact I keep tabs on a lot of my HS friends via fb anyway.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 AM

737 posts, read 1,148,318 times
I always had a great time at reunions. I never sat with high school friends. You mingle and meet people you never met. I had 500+ in my class. It is interesting to see how people turned out. My 40th is coming up soon.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 AM

270 posts, read 409,319 times
I think it depends on how far out you are from HS. I didn't go to any of mine until the 20th reunion. I was fairly popular and active in HS, but I still had no desire to go see those people. At the 5 & 10 year marks, most people are still insecure enough to make it awkward and unpleasant. Starting around 15, everyone has begun to mellow and be comfortable with where they are in life & not trying to impress.

So at my 20th, I went and had a great time. It was nice to catch up and see what people are doing. Everyone was warm and kind. (It was a big class, with over 500.) I recommend going to the later reunions.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
My 20th is next month. I have no intentions on going. I skipped the 10 yr reunion as well. I graduated with 1300 people and have fond memories of those days, but I'm no longer in contact with anyone except for being "friends" on Facebook with a number of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships