Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I forgot this forum is full of middle class professionals. I'm a poor college kid..45 bucks is the diffrence between a meal and a full gas tank, or not, for me.

Charlotteborn-you're right..last time I do this. I guess I expected a different reaction from someone I've been friends with for so long.
ya, proving my point about you not being able to afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,407,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
ya, proving my point about you not being able to afford it.
ya and mistakenly I let her get the tix. my bad. Just didn't think she'd be so strict about timing and how much I pay and when..its not like her. I've always paid back within 2 months. I think that's fair in my situation..maybe not though..who knows.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Please print this thread out and send it to her.
lol whats the point?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
If you are a "poor college kid" you don't need to spend that much on a ticket to a concert.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,089 times
My opinion, you make an agreement, you stick to it. Borrow from another friend if that's what it takes.

Many of my relatives are very, very wealthy. I'm poor as dirt. The times they were willing to loan me money, I paid them back before or on time. No excuses. If it meant paying my rent late, not eating for a day or two, whatever it took I paid them back on time and IF it was due to my negligence I suffered the consequences, not anyone else.

Your friends finances, imo, are not your business. Apples/oranges.

I know I sound harsh but you will learn, one way or the other, life is harsh and keeping your word is most important.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If you are a "poor college kid" you don't need to spend that much on a ticket to a concert.
She wanted the super expensive ones..I was fine with the cheaper ones.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
My opinion, you make an agreement, you stick to it. Borrow from another friend if that's what it takes.

Many of my relatives are very, very wealthy. I'm poor as dirt. The times they were willing to loan me money, I paid them back before or on time. No excuses. If it meant paying my rent late, not eating for a day or two, whatever it took I paid them back on time and IF it was due to my negligence I suffered the consequences, not anyone else.

Your friends finances, imo, are not your business. Apples/oranges.

I know I sound harsh but you will learn, one way or the other, life is harsh and keeping your word is most important.

Just my two cents.

I'm with you on being responsible but things happen. Also, on a completely different note, if my family was wealthy, they would never ever ask me to pay them back if I ever got myself in a bind ..not to mention, if they really wanted me to pay them back..they would never allow me to do it at the expense of my rent being paid ...wow. I see this a lot in American families...my parents don't get it. I kinda don't either as I was brought up to be as hospitable as you can afford to be, whether that's monetarily or otherwise. but anyways...I see your point..but things happen. this is not a normal occurrence with me..I live within my means. I just felt somewhat obligated to go with my friend to this concert cause I didn't want to offend her and she begged me (I know..my bad, lesson learned).

Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,089 times
Quote:
I'm with you on being responsible but things happen. Also, on a completely different note, if my family was wealthy, they would never ever ask me to pay them back if I ever got myself in a bind ..not to mention, if they really wanted me to pay them back..they would never allow me to do it at the expense of my rent being paid ...wow. I see this a lot in American families...my parents don't get it. I kinda don't either as I was brought up to be as hospitable as you can afford to be, whether that's monetarily or otherwise. but anyways...I see your point..but things happen. this is not a normal occurrence with me..I live within my means. I just felt somewhat obligated to go with my friend to this concert cause I didn't want to offend her and she begged me (I know..my bad, lesson learned).
My family is not responsible for my disability and therefore indigence. It's their money and if you see it as selfish then that's how it is in your mind. In my mind, I borrow, I pay back and rarely do I borrow.

Yes, things happen. I had a wonderful career and job and then I got sick..real sick with a progressive illness. You may think my is family selfish.. and sometimes, so do I..BUT it's their money NOT mine and I have no right to define their behavior...only mine.

ETA: Just because some of my family live in 20,000 square feet houses, eat out all the time at extremely expensive restaurants, have the best of the best doesn't necessarily mean they are rich. Maybe, just maybe, they are in debt up to their eyeballs. Again, I don't care, it's not my business.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,094 times
Quote:
of course I was going to pay her. I just can't today. I told her I can pay her today due to today being pay day..which it wasn't. we never set a date of when I would pay her when she bought the ticket..she just a week ago asked for the rest of the money. She has to wait a few days until I get my check from my other job..I guess that makes me entitled. Regardless, I told her it would be a bit before I could pay her and she just said I could pay her when I can....so lots of mixed messages from her. I agreed because I thought she would let me pay her when I had money from paychecks..not from savings.

And I'm already in the hole with my savings due to other emergencies because my pay unexpectedly decreased a couple months ago. I would have drawn out of my savings if it wasn't for that and not only that, my savings is for my rent (I'm a student). and honestly..what if I didn't have savings?? then what?
ok, here's the rest of my advice.
don't borrow any more money! Ever. If you cannot get a handle on your fiscal responsibilities now, then please stop.
You can always replace the money in your savings. I am not sure where your hang up is with regards to this. Her mixed messages don't matter one iota. You owe her money. Period. Please try and stop focusing on her life. None of that matters in this scenario.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
and yet...they still have no concept of the value of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships