U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,280,651 times

Advertisements

I have some thoughts on the subject of course, but I just wanted to see what some other C-D's members views were on the topic of women and men who could generally be thought of as more "sensitive", when it comes to love and romance, and also, just regarding life in general?

By more "sensitive", I don't mean sensitive as in say for example having a hot temper or a short fuse, but the exact opposite -- more sensitive as in "more soft spoken", more positively-emotionally expressive; someone who could be thought of as a rather warm-hearted or "touchy-feely" person, and sort of wears their heart on their sleeve, so to speak. Do you think that it is usually a good thing or a potential advantage? Or a not-so-good thing and/or a disadvantage, vs. a non-sensitive person? Any other thoughts?

Lastly: do you think sensitive people are more-optimally suited (in a romantic sense) to be dually-matched with other sensitive people? Or, do you see a prospective couple where one partner is sensitive and the other is non-sensitive as potentially succeeding just as easily?

Very interested in hearing other people's thoughts on the subject...thanks in advance for your comments!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM

658 posts, read 672,205 times
Knight <3

Of course I think it is a good thing. I prefer soft spoken over brash honesty. Anyone can speak their mind, but it takes grace, tact and even skill to express yourself in a non-offensive and friendly manner.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM

45,120 posts, read 56,997,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I have some thoughts on the subject of course, but I just wanted to see what some other C-D's members views were on the topic of women and men who could generally be thought of as more "sensitive", when it comes to love and romance, and also, just regarding life in general?

By more "sensitive", I don't mean sensitive as in say for example having a hot temper or a short fuse, but the exact opposite -- more sensitive as in "more soft spoken", more positively-emotionally expressive; someone who could be thought of as a rather warm-hearted or "touchy-feely" person, and sort of wears their heart on their sleeve, so to speak. Do you think that it is usually a good thing or a potential advantage? Or a not-so-good thing and/or a disadvantage, vs. a non-sensitive person? Any other thoughts?

Lastly: do you think sensitive people are more-optimally suited (in a romantic sense) to be dually-matched with other sensitive people? Or, do you see a prospective couple where one partner is sensitive and the other is non-sensitive as potentially succeeding just as easily?

Very interested in hearing other people's thoughts on the subject...thanks in advance for your comments!
It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round my friend

Sometimes opposites really do attract, but then they can combust easily and make for a rocky relationship.

Sometimes though, when you get a more sensitive person and a less sensitive person together they kind of balance each other out and bring out the best in one another.

Two really sensitive people together can be too unbalanced when it comes to taking care of business out in the real world, but on the other hand two of these types together can lend itself to a very peaceful co-existence.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, success in relationships has less to do with what "type" of personality we have, and more to do with how we choose to work together or against our partners despite our personalities

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

7,250 posts, read 6,693,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Sometimes though, when you get a more sensitive person and a less sensitive person together they kind of balance each other out and bring out the best in one another.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, success in relationships has less to do with what "type" of personality we have, and more to do with how we choose to work together or against our partners despite our personalities
Yes!!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 PM

9,717 posts, read 6,985,690 times
I think it is a good thing to be sensitive in the way you describe knight2009....In general life....I think it makes a person much more approachable..I think there is an advantage to that because of the good feeling one would have when he/she knows that children and adults alike, feel comfortable, and trusting enough to come to them when they have a need....one disadvantage might be that some people will try to take advantage of that goodwill and kindness,......in romance...I think being sensitive to your partners desires and likes can really keep the flames roaring...I'm also thinking 2 sensitive people may be able to get along fine...but not 2 insensitive people...1 sensitive and 1 not sensitive could probably also make it together..

Old 05-24-2012, 07:08 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,696,575 times
That's how I would describe myself, so I definitely click with other people who are the same way.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 AM

224 posts, read 370,762 times
I'm sensitive like that and I don't see it as a good thing. My experience is it opens one up to a lot of use and abuse from others. My experience with people who are opposites in a relationship was not like the other poster said where it balances out but rather than its a disaster waiting to happen. I think I would prefer another soft spoken touchy feeling person but I have never dated another one.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM

889 posts, read 734,310 times
I am sensitive as well. There are actually books and forums for people who are highly sensitive---check out Highly Sensitive Person.

Like anything, it has positive and negative aspects.

You were asking about romantic relationships---this section of the forum is for non-romantic relationships, but I don't see that much difference in how people get along in platonic versus romantic relationships.

I will say this: I met a number of people who claimed to be highly sensitive---and they were---but the sensitivity was only inner directed. I did not see an ability to extend their sensitivity and look out for someone else. It was very inner directed, like when someone contemplates their navel!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,280,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I am sensitive as well. There are actually books and forums for people who are highly sensitive---check out Highly Sensitive Person.

Like anything, it has positive and negative aspects.

You were asking about romantic relationships---this section of the forum is for non-romantic relationships, but I don't see that much difference in how people get along in platonic versus romantic relationships.

I will say this: I met a number of people who claimed to be highly sensitive---and they were---but the sensitivity was only inner directed. I did not see an ability to extend their sensitivity and look out for someone else. It was very inner directed, like when someone contemplates their navel!
First of all, many thanks to everyone who was kind enough to respond and to provide their thoughts and feedback; I deeply appreciate all of the helpful input!

[Referencing bolded sections above]

Thank you for the interesting book- and forum-related suggestions you had mentioned! Also yes lol, I originally submitted this question when I first posted it in the (Romantic) Relationships forum, but I guess it got moved here soon thereafter

Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM

224 posts, read 370,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

That is so true! There are those that are highly-sensitive as in delicate, thin-skinned or just passionate about certain things. But it is inward. It doesn't necessarily correlate to the person being able to show or verbally express affection, compassion or care towards others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships