Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the "Friend Zone"?
Yes 34 55.74%
No 20 32.79%
Somewhat 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Thank you

But I have been told that I'm too unattractive to date 'seriously' by more than one man. Personally, I don't think I'm all that bad looking...but who knows? I'll be moving soon to a fairly populated area (from my rather sparse area) so I'm hoping it will give me the opportunity to meet new people
Now that I see you after reading your posts about being rejected I have to wonder....it can't be your looks because you are attractive, maybe it is the small town you live in, or they are too insecure to date you (due to your height)..or some personal traits they don't like I dunno, either way move to the city, you will for sure have more success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Thank you

But I have been told that I'm too unattractive to date 'seriously' by more than one man. Personally, I don't think I'm all that bad looking...but who knows? I'll be moving soon to a fairly populated area (from my rather sparse area) so I'm hoping it will give me the opportunity to meet new people
What kind of jerk would say that to a woman? You don't need these people. It sounds like you don't need your small town, lol! Some guys are very impressed by women who work on cars. It sounds like you live in a very traditional area, where women are expected to be Susie Homemaker and very feminine, like a throwback to the 50's. Ya gotta ditch that scene.

Back to the OP: A guy can't force a friendship out of the friend zone. That spark that moves the relationship out of the friend zone happens spontaneously and unexpectedly. Some guys just aren't going to get out of the friend zone because they lack whatever that mysterious something is that pushes the right buttons for the woman. Or maybe it's some other factor, something about the personality that's not a good fit for a serious relationship, but is ok on a friend level. The friend zone is not a permanent purgatory for everyone, though, as the posts here attest. Friendship is the best way to start.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Now that I see you after reading your posts about being rejected I have to wonder....it can't be your looks because you are attractive, maybe it is the small town you live in, or they are too insecure to date you (due to your height)..or some personal traits they don't like I dunno, either way move to the city, you will for sure have more success.
I have no idea, really... like I said, I have a LOT of really good male friend that I am around often. Apparently, I'm fun to be around, but not quite good enough for romantic attraction, and it may not be something I can change. Attraction doesn't necessarily make sense. I'm not sweating it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What kind of jerk would say that to a woman? You don't need these people. It sounds like you don't need your small town, lol! Some guys are very impressed by women who work on cars. It sounds like you live in a very traditional area, where women are expected to be Susie Homemaker and very feminine, like a throwback to the 50's. Ya gotta ditch that scene.

Back to the OP: A guy can't force a friendship out of the friend zone. That spark that moves the relationship out of the friend zone happens spontaneously and unexpectedly. Some guys just aren't going to get out of the friend zone because they lack whatever that mysterious something is that pushes the right buttons for the woman. Or maybe it's some other factor, something about the personality that's not a good fit for a serious relationship, but is ok on a friend level. The friend zone is not a permanent purgatory for everyone, though, as the posts here attest. Friendship is the best way to start.
I live in a college town in California (well over 50% of the total population attends the local university) so there's a proliferation of girls 18-22 that are young, cute and available. At 28, I'm considered over the hill !

Really, I appreciate my male friends' honesty in these matters even though it may not be nice at times. I do find that I get a lot more male attention if I act 'giggly' and kind of dumb... it's disheartening really. I'd rather talk about Tesla than the Kardashians.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Really, I appreciate my male friends' honesty in these matters even though it may not be nice at times. I do find that I get a lot more male attention if I act 'giggly' and kind of dumb... it's disheartening really. I'd rather talk about Tesla than the Kardashians.
Don't demean yourself with the giggly ditzy crap, your above that, the people that impresses really aren't worth your time and as for the Kardashians..... Quick! Pass the bucket!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
I have no idea, really... like I said, I have a LOT of really good male friend that I am around often. Apparently, I'm fun to be around, but not quite good enough for romantic attraction, and it may not be something I can change. Attraction doesn't necessarily make sense. I'm not sweating it though

I live in a college town in California (well over 50% of the total population attends the local university) so there's a proliferation of girls 18-22 that are young, cute and available. At 28, I'm considered over the hill !

There are college kids acting like that??? wow. I guess that isn't exactly the "American Pie" type university lol.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
There are college kids acting like that??? wow. I guess that isn't exactly the "American Pie" type university lol.
Which school do you live by?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Which school do you live by?
Too many to name.
Wayne State University
University of Michigan
Oakland University
University of Detroit
Eastern Michigan University
Are the main ones in the Detroit area.
Michigan State University is not too far either.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Many things, I'm sure. I've had guys tell me they don't like a woman who works on cars, I've had guys tell me I was too tall, I was unattractive, I wasn't feminine enough etc. I've also been 'friendzoned' by guys who decided one of my friends or my sister was 'hotter' than me and decided to pursue them instead and keep me as a friend because I was fun to be around, but simply not good enough to date. That's actually how me and one of my closest male friends started out.. we went out, things were going well and then he decided he thought my best friend was better. They dated for a while but eventually broke up and we stayed friends and have been friends for nearly 10 years now.

I'm definitely not one to be clingy/desperate or call too much... in fact, I've been told I seem distant because I don't show enough attention so that could be part of it as well.

So yeah, it could be a number of reasons, but all I know is that I'm fun to be around but not good enough to be a girlfriend.

Come on up to Michigan and I'll take you out. Also, what kind of guy wouldn't find a woman that works on cars (or airplanes) completely hot? Only a guy who takes his car to a mechanic to replace his brakes

Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Don't believe it's hard to get out of the friend zone. Either you have to work harder, or the person is telling you "Get away from me creep".

Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM

35 posts, read 37,008 times
i think friendship is about companionship..
it's about freedom in what u do since u already know each other..
friend zone doesn't make sense to me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships