Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 AM

12 posts, read 19,756 times

Advertisements

I have sometimes encountered caring about the friend, but their child was a monster. When the kid is junior high age or older and is still horible (rude to all, inappropriately demanding & a nightmare to their parents) I don't want to get out my wallet for their sports team/birthday/wedding/graduation ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 AM

442 posts, read 615,290 times
I sent birth announcements out. Other than that I've never invited non-family members to events like birthday parties etc.

Sending out the birth announcements wasn't a request for money though, or a gift. I'd probably do it now via facebook.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM

442 posts, read 615,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Hey, do you have your friends get married and then come all the announcements when they have kids, their kids have b-day parties, graduations, and religious milestones (baptism, Communion, bar-mitzvah, etc)? Realistically, you are nowhere near as involved with them as much, given their commitments, but also find that you don't like opening your wallet every time they pop out a child and don't give a rat's a$$ about their kids' milestones.

Some of these people went to grad school with me and moved to other states. They got a wedding check from me, but as soon as they started having kids and I figured I may not see them again, no response from me on any subsequent invitations or announcements.

Have you "walked" on these situations because they are both not interesting and financially a nuisance?

Oh and I don't think getting an invite in the mail means that they want you to open your wallet. I've never been one though to send out announcements for all of these things, though.

Things that do send a clear message you are expected to open your wallet...bridal or baby showers, at home parties for stuff like Tupperware and Longaberger, or someone sending out announcements about the latest promotions at their place of business. These bother me more than getting a graduation announcement from someone.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
IMO you are not obligated to spend anything. I have never understood this 'you get an invitation you must give a gift' etiquette. Many people are not in a financial place that they can give something or you get invited by someone you haven't seen in ages. Then you know it is only for the gift. I only give to close friends/family what I can afford.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I find it hard to remain friends with people I knew who got married & had children. Their priorities changed and they became parents. I just found that I had zero in common with them and we drifted apart. I really don't seek out those types of friendships. It's just horribly awkward. I don't even keep in touch with my family.
I agree with this.

Also, when other friends have got married and had children, they are looking for different kinds of friendships from what we would be able to offer. They are still our friends, but we're not nearly as involved in each others' daily lives as we used to be. And that's fine with me.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM

64 posts, read 243,549 times
I find that this is particularly true with female friendships. I was married for a while and all my girlfriends had kids. To be part of their lives, you had to totally dive in to the kid thing. I was not ready for a number of reasons. Suddenly, I had very little in the way of a network. I actually ended up hanging out with people quite a bit younger because of their lack of commitments and making friends with a lot of childless gay couples. Its become harder and harder to find women who have time for a friendship and don't constantly talk about baby stuff.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastthemiddle View Post
I find that this is particularly true with female friendships. I was married for a while and all my girlfriends had kids. To be part of their lives, you had to totally dive in to the kid thing. I was not ready for a number of reasons. Suddenly, I had very little in the way of a network. I actually ended up hanging out with people quite a bit younger because of their lack of commitments and making friends with a lot of childless gay couples. Its become harder and harder to find women who have time for a friendship and don't constantly talk about baby stuff.
Completely agree!!! Not all women are into babies. Personally, I prefer my cats.

And I do have a lot of gay friends. I love my gay friends.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Years ago I worked with several women, single, and we all took vacations together. I organized them and it was great. Then the serious boyfriends started and little by little it went south. One of them, whom I as pretty close to got married and I was not thrill with her choice. She had a family only wedding and I was thrilled because I wouldn't have gone. When she had kids I literally didn't see her for years. We then reconnected later but it was kids, kids, kids. Ugh, drove me nuts. The darn kids are in college now and she will literally talk to anyone about this friggin kids. Enough!!!! Maybe if I talked about having hemorroids as much she would get the point.

Another woman from the same group moved away and married. She had 2 kids and moved back to the area. We got back in touch and when I went to see her after many years I was greeted at the door by a 5 yr old girl asking me what I brought her. I think I started to growl at her. What got me even more was when I told her mother, my friend, about it and I said it sarcastically, like was I supposed to bring her something... I had brought a box full of gourmet treats for the whole family. My friend said, "oh, next time just go to this store and get her this" I thought, this is where she got it from, from you, mother. I haven't seen the kid since. Ugh, terrible.

Frankly, I tend to avoid things with lots of kids. I feel incredibly lucky that there were only 2 kids in my apt building.

Last edited by brava4; 08-06-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I have kids, and I have friends without kids. Some are acquaintances, some are more than that. Sometimes they send a gift, more often than not, it's a phone call, email or an FB post. My friends are HAPPY for me and my children's milestones, but don't feel as if sharing our news puts any pressure on them to buy me stuff.

Now my in-laws on the other hand are just as bitter sounding as the OP.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I have kids, and I have friends without kids. Some are acquaintances, some are more than that. Sometimes they send a gift, more often than not, it's a phone call, email or an FB post. My friends are HAPPY for me and my children's milestones, but don't feel as if sharing our news puts any pressure on them to buy me stuff.

Now my in-laws on the other hand are just as bitter sounding as the OP.
Very typical condescending wording from someone who has children, thus reinforcing the stereotype. Sorry, some of us don't like repeatedly opening our wallets for people who are peripheral to our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships