Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do YOU FEEL About Your Parent(s)?
Love Dad, Detest Mom 16 8.79%
Love Mom, Detest Dad 10 5.49%
Love Mom, Love Dad 94 51.65%
Detest Mom, Detest Dad 7 3.85%
Only have Mom, Love Her 17 9.34%
Only have Mom, Detest her 6 3.30%
Only have Dad, Love Him 6 3.30%
Only have Dad, Detest Him 3 1.65%
Other - Explain in comments 23 12.64%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times

Advertisements

Would I be relieved if my dad or grandma died? No way. Of course I would miss them. I have fond feelings for them and strong dislike for things about them. You can have both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:56 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
Both of my parents were fabulous, and I had a truly personal, close relationship with both of them. So did a lot of other folks, my two sisters included.

Our home was the place to go, phone rang off of the wall and the Mr. Coffee had a warm cup to offer to anyone that dropped by or we were expecting.

Both of my sisters husbands and my own, all three preferred my parents to their own, but two of them still honored theirs and did spend time with them.

I just have this to always remember to thank God for. It sickens me to think of how many don't or didn't have good parents. I sometimes see a kid walking up the street after school, backpack full and they may seem to be walking slowly, or I'll see them sitting on a curb. Sure, could be for any reason, but I sometimes wonder if they are avoiding their home environment.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Both of my parents were fabulous, and I had a truly personal, close relationship with both of them. So did a lot of other folks, my two sisters included.

Our home was the place to go, phone rang off of the wall and the Mr. Coffee had a warm cup to offer to anyone that dropped by or we were expecting.

Both of my sisters husbands and my own, all three preferred my parents to their own, but two of them still honored theirs and did spend time with them.

I just have this to always remember to thank God for. It sickens me to think of how many don't or didn't have good parents. I sometimes see a kid walking up the street after school, backpack full and they may seem to be walking slowly, or I'll see them sitting on a curb. Sure, could be for any reason, but I sometimes wonder if they are avoiding their home environment.
You are extremely fortunate.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
My mom and I have a lot of issues with each other but she is my mom and I do love her, I just wish she acted differently. She's always been a little lacking on the emotional stuff as I have gotten older, she is a very vengeful and vindictive person. She is aggressive and hits as well.

I wish I felt like my mom cared about me more, she often tells me she doesn't how she can't wait for my brother to be out as well, I love who she used to be but who she is now is very hard to get along with.

I wouldn't say I detest her but I can't be around her for too long before she starts trying to pick fights.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Love both, even though Dad is no longer with us.

I didn't always get along with them, often disagreed on their methods, etc... but love, yeah, that was always there.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I loved both of my parents. My dad wasn't around much, but I still loved him. They passed away in 1985 and 1987.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:32 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
Love my mom very much. She died 4 years ago and I miss her every single day. She was sick much of my childhood, but she always put her illnesses on the back burner to make sure we were taken care of. She never complained. If she did complain, you knew she was in agony at that point. Her pain and discomfort she put aside, put a big smile on her face, and enjoyed every moment she could of her life.

My father died before I was born. I do know that you can miss what you never had, especially knowing that he was a good father and husband. I don't dwell much on what my life would have been life if he had lived, it's too depressing. I am just greatful I had such a wonderful mom.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Sunnysee, yes, some of us were avoiding.

I can't answer in your poll except for, "other". I don't "detest" them, I just don't even care anymore. I'm not going to get in to all of the gory details as to why, will just say, "hell with all of 'em".

Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
I tolerate both of my parents. I live 12 hours from them and for very good reason. As a child I was mocked and ridiculed regularly. That kept going on into my young adulthood. After I married at 30 they became judgemental of my wife, and then my parenting skills. My parents were rarely around when I was a kid and they are only accessible to their children and grandchildren on their terms. I do not detest them now, but do tolerate them for my kid's sake.

We visited last summer after not seeing them for 3 years. Kid's really wanted to see family and so since my siblings were all going to be there I agreed. After our visit my 8 year old son who was the one who really wanted to go said, "Dad, I understand now why we don't visit them. I don't want to go back." We are headed back this summer for a family reunion and I'm already trying to figure out how long I really have to be around them.

I made a conscious choice to be completely different than them. I spend a lot of time with my kids, tell them as much as possible how much I love them and love spending time with them. I hope and pray they will want to be around me after they leave home. I also tell them I am so thankful God chose me to be their Dad. He could've chosen anyone and he blessed me with each of them. When in bed at night and they're having a rough day I ask them, "where's the safest place in the entire world?" The answer they've learned over the years, "in my daddy's arms."

Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
I love both of my parents very much. Unfortunately, Dad passed away many years ago, and only Mom is still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships