U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
 
1,757 posts, read 3,336,521 times
Reputation: 906

Advertisements

I've got an interesting question/request for suggestions:

I've worked at a hospital ER in administration part-time (as in 8 hr/ on the weekend) for the last 10 months. I am always on the floor and regularly have to interact with clinical staff and doctors. I actually spend my entire shift floating around the ER going into rooms, etc.

The weird thing is that I never really did properly introduce myself to most of the clinical staff as in "hi my name is -------". I kind of just have light conversation, greeting with a lot of the clinical staff ("hi good morning") in passing, etc.

Now since I am in administration, I am in a different department than the clinical staff, so a lot of them kind of "look down" on us, as not being one of them. A few of the nurses etc. won't even say hi when I say hi to them in passing. They kind of just stare blankly ahead, without even acknowledging me. This is what kind of gave me the whole anxiety about properly introducing myself to most of them in the first place. I was afraid of getting the cold shoulder or no reply. I kind of just did my job and talked to those who talked to me. I also kind of rely on my name badge that I wear to provide my name to those I meet.

To give some insight, I have no problem with the other people in my department who work in and around me, they all know my name and I know all of their names. So, it's not really an issue of me being extremely shy or scared (I don't think).

So my question is, what should I do. I talk to a few of the clinical staff quite regularly, but I never really acknowledge them by name, and they never really say my name (because we never really had a proper name exchange). It seems kind of weird that I've talked to some of the people dozens of times over several months, but with no real name acknowledgement.

I think it would be kind of weird for me to say "oh btw my name is ------" like 10 months and numerous conversations later as I'm sure a lot of them know my name because they see my name badge.

Keep in mind, that working with a lot of nurses and doctors in the ER is kind of different that being around the normal coworker. There are a lot of egos and superiority complexes against those that aren't "clinical", along with a lot of hardened attitudes (which comes with the ER territory).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,139,423 times
Reputation: 8956
Don't take it personally. Temps and floaters are often ignored . . .not sure what the dynamics are . . .but people don't want to get too invested, I think.

Can you start wearing a name tag? I would just get to know people and at some point, if they like you, they will ask you your name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,669,653 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
A few of the nurses etc. won't even say hi when I say hi to them in passing. They kind of just stare blankly ahead, without even acknowledging me.

Thoughts?
That doesn't feel very good, does it? But are you sure these folks aren't just busily (inluding in their mind) buzzing around and en route to performing tasks and just assume you're doing the same? Maybe you're making something out of nothing. Being that you didn't mention what you do and how you come off, I have to assume you do something menial, especially relative to some of the folks you work around. Perhaps you shouldn't try to hold yourself to the same interpersonal and social standards of folks who are much more educated and professional than yourself - that way you don't let yourself down. I'm not saying you shouldn't improve upon yourself, but shouldn't fret and stress yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM
 
1,757 posts, read 3,336,521 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I have to assume you do something menial, especially relative to some of the folks you work around. Perhaps you shouldn't try to hold yourself to the same interpersonal and social standards of folks who are much more educated and professional than yourself
Wow. Don't hold myself to the same interpersonal and social standards because I may do something menial/may not be smart? That's an asinine comment. Sounds like something some of the nurses or doctors would say. Regardless of the job, or the education, why would you view someone as less than you? Regardless of whether or not someone is the janitor or doctor, they are all needed in order to make the hospital run. My job may be administrative, but if they got rid of my job, neither the hospital, the nurses, nor the doctors would get paid.

FYI. I actually have one bachelor's degree from a top 50 US university, and am getting another degree (a Bachelor's in Nursing), as well as a masters so I'll actually be "more educated" than a lot of the nurses and more than likely will their boss someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
33,721 posts, read 21,420,534 times
Reputation: 49064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Perhaps you shouldn't try to hold yourself to the same interpersonal and social standards of folks who are much more educated and professional than yourself - that way you don't let yourself down. I'm not saying you shouldn't improve upon yourself, but shouldn't fret and stress yourself.
My head just exploded. Sorry for the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 02:46 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,955,792 times
Reputation: 1497
I wouldn't worry about it, djxpress. I was in many similar situations as yours over the years and purposely set boundaries for the very reasons you stated..the egos of doctors, nurses and worse yet..when I went into the animal medical field...veterinarians.

My job was to make things run smoothly, not make friends or deal with inner drama or stroking egos and frankly, never felt the need to be anything but professional and get the job done.

Best to you,

second right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,669,653 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Wow. Don't hold myself to the same interpersonal and social standards because I may do something menial/may not be smart? That's an asinine comment. Sounds like something some of the nurses or doctors would say. Regardless of the job, or the education, why would you view someone as less than you? Regardless of whether or not someone is the janitor or doctor, they are all needed in order to make the hospital run. My job may be administrative, but if they got rid of my job, neither the hospital, the nurses, nor the doctors would get paid.

FYI. I actually have one bachelor's degree from a top 50 US university, and am getting another degree (a Bachelor's in Nursing), as well as a masters so I'll actually be "more educated" than a lot of the nurses and more than likely will their boss someday.
I didn't mean any offense. But yeah, there is going to be a hierarchy and I think it's unreasonable to expect to be in line with a higher tier than yourself when you're just starting out and especially working part time. To do so is doing oneself a disservice by setting up expectations that may not be met, which makes for let down and negative feelings. It's called humility - being humble. I did not use the phrase "less than" in my post. That came from you, which is indicative that you have a thinking problem, which is already obvious because of the fact you created this thread. I'm glad you have a degree and are going further. With that said, since you made it through college, I think you should be able to handle the dynamic of the divide you've illustrated between the administration and clinical departments of your workplace. I'm guessing the divide you recognize existed before you and not in spite of you, so you're just along for the ride. I'm not perfect either and feel ackward about social dynamics similar to what you describe. All I can offer as direct advice is to not fret and stress over it, don't feel "less than", and be confident in your speaking and dealings with the clinical staff. Maybe let it be known you're working on your nursing degree. As for not having introduced yourself properly already, you should be able to do that with each person as the time is right. Still, you didn't address my question of whether you're sure the ignoring you're receiving in the hall is that person simply being busy with their mind on tasks. It may very well be just that. If that's the case, once you become a nurse and are buzzing around similarly, you will probably reflect and understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 AM
 
1,463 posts, read 2,823,021 times
Reputation: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I've got an interesting question/request for suggestions:
I've worked at a hospital ER in administration part-time (as in 8 hr/ on the weekend) for the last 10 months. I am always on the floor and regularly have to interact with clinical staff and doctors. I actually spend my entire shift floating around the ER going into rooms, etc.
The weird thing is that I never really did properly introduce myself to most of the clinical staff as in "hi my name is -------". I kind of just have light conversation, greeting with a lot of the clinical staff ("hi good morning") in passing, etc.
Now since I am in administration, I am in a different department than the clinical staff, so a lot of them kind of "look down" on us, as not being one of them. A few of the nurses etc. won't even say hi when I say hi to them in passing. They kind of just stare blankly ahead, without even acknowledging me. This is what kind of gave me the whole anxiety about properly introducing myself to most of them in the first place. I was afraid of getting the cold shoulder or no reply. I kind of just did my job and talked to those who talked to me. I also kind of rely on my name badge that I wear to provide my name to those I meet.
To give some insight, I have no problem with the other people in my department who work in and around me, they all know my name and I know all of their names. So, it's not really an issue of me being extremely shy or scared (I don't think).
So my question is, what should I do. I talk to a few of the clinical staff quite regularly, but I never really acknowledge them by name, and they never really say my name (because we never really had a proper name exchange). It seems kind of weird that I've talked to some of the people dozens of times over several months, but with no real name acknowledgement.
I think it would be kind of weird for me to say "oh btw my name is ------" like 10 months and numerous conversations later as I'm sure a lot of them know my name because they see my name badge.
Keep in mind, that working with a lot of nurses and doctors in the ER is kind of different that being around the normal coworker. There are a lot of egos and superiority complexes against those that aren't "clinical", along with a lot of hardened attitudes (which comes with the ER territory).
Thoughts?
The good news is that someday you will get to retire and take with you only the good friends who did manage to say good morning to you and care how you were doing. Gosh, I don't miss this. I use to work for a large utility company and had been warned prior to going there that the folks were not all that friendly. I was so excited about getting this job in administration that it didn't matter who was and was not friendly there. WOW was I wrong. I sat at my desk outside my bosses office for months and no one ever said good morning except him. My "co-workers" would walk right past my desk and not say a word or go out for lunch together and leave me behind. I shut down and decided to do just my job and nothing more. One of the supervisors had the nerve to go into my bosses office, close the door and complain about me..can you imagine!! He called me into his office and said.."Humor her and go talk with her in the conference room". He knew.

Seeing that I am NOT a shy person and will tell you exactly how I feel if you ask....off we go to the conference room and is she in for a surprise!! We sit down to talk and she asks me right off the bat howcome I am not friendly...OKKKK Cookie..you asked for it! LOL I told her that I had been warned that people at this place were not friendly and what does she do next..CRY!!! I told her then if she was gonna cry over this I was done talking. Did we go for lunch or become pals..NOPE. This didn't stop..they still put me on the back burner with most things but I stopped caring about them. Retired a few years later and should I EVER decide to work even part time trust me, it will be in a Convenience Store!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Arizona
1,204 posts, read 2,216,808 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That doesn't feel very good, does it? But are you sure these folks aren't just busily (inluding in their mind) buzzing around and en route to performing tasks and just assume you're doing the same? Maybe you're making something out of nothing. Being that you didn't mention what you do and how you come off, I have to assume you do something menial, especially relative to some of the folks you work around. Perhaps you shouldn't try to hold yourself to the same interpersonal and social standards of folks who are much more educated and professional than yourself - that way you don't let yourself down. I'm not saying you shouldn't improve upon yourself, but shouldn't fret and stress yourself.
Open mouth and insert both feet

In this one short post you managed to call OP uneducated and her job menial (without even knowing what it is).

You really should remember the saying about assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,669,653 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Open mouth and insert both feet

In this one short post you managed to call OP uneducated and her job menial (without even knowing what it is).

You really should remember the saying about assume.
I didn't call her uneducated. And it's not difficult to have a relatively menial job when working with medical professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top