Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,126,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I was on Facebook today and I saw a whole bunch of photos of people doing Memorial Day stuff out and about. I had a chance to go out today but passed. But often Facebook makes me feel like my social life is lacking.

I also noticed that there are some guys on the internet who claim to have zero real friends, male or female.

Quite polar opposites to some of the people I know and I say I'd fall somewhere in between. I've had busier social periods but I'm in a lull for a couple of reasons.

So ... the question is ... Do you think more social people are generally happier?

Yes, I believe they are happier. I think that people who are not social, are not social because of some problems (for example, they got hurt by people and now try to stay away), or they were born with fear of people.... These are disabilities. We were made to be together, to interact. But our disabilities prevent that. And so the people with disabilities (the reserved ones) are not as happy because they are not doing what they were meant to be doing (which is to be a part of ONE big group of people and to interact)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,027,558 times
Being social has its own set of problems. When people take photos they say.. "Smile". It does not demonstrate a true indication of the mental or emotional happiness of the person.

Just like anything else, there are some social people who are happy and some who are not. I am not a social person *at all* and I am usually pretty happy. I don't miss interacting with people. I get more than enough of that on my job.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 AM

3,295 posts, read 6,993,220 times
It doesn't matter if you feel that they are happier or not. It only matters if they feel that they are happy or not.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 PM

224 posts, read 826,190 times
I believe its true. The extreme introverts seem to be the ones always depressed and miserable. The people that go off shooting into crowds or schools always turn out to be introverts with social disorders. I'm a shy/quiet person but recognize as I came out of seclusion that my life has been more enjoyable. Its healthy for people to think about something other than themselves all the time which is what introverts always do is obsess about their own comfort level and eventually go crazy because they will eventually realize they have no friends and nobody cares about them. Its healthy to get out some. Doesn't have to be a big crowd, just find a good friend to spend time with.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,730,847 times
I had a funny kind of epiphany about this yesterday. I was hanging out with a small group of friends and a man that I am acquainted with showed up. I know him from a dance group that I engage with every week and he's one of the few that always has a frown on his face and he's a bit snappish, though a very good dancer. Yesterday he had a big smile on his face and we were all so surprised that we asked him what he'd been doing. He'd just gotten off work! And my epiphany was that the man is so introverted that socializing at a dance is miserable for him, though he must do it for the love of the dance, and he must love his job. Funny about people.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM

35 posts, read 36,920 times
well, real bonding ( which doesn't necessarily means bout facebook makes u happy..

Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,832,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
haha, facebook makes everyone's social life look boring in comparison. I think a super crazy social life is depressing. You become obligated to all these people and run the risk of letting soemoen down.

Uh, what?? lol

I don't think it's depressing whatsoever. I have a pretty dang good social life, I'm out close to every day I would say and no where does that make me feel depressed or make me think of letting someone down... I don't know anyone who thinks like this lol

I went through a phase where I chose to stay in and pretty much ignore most people and not go out. Those were the most depressing days of my life. The more social I am the happier I am.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,308,572 times
Check out the Events and Adventures Singles Club in San Francisco. They do lots of events and take lots of pictures. Everyone seems so damn happy and engaged. I say that this is contrived fun that exists on purely a superficial level. Looking over those pictures, I spotted one woman who is privately an absolute basket case. She can't spend time with herself. She needs to attend events and pretend to be a part of the group, to keep herself from committing suicide. She stands there with the rest of the group, with a smile, but privately, she hates herself and thinks often about ending this life.

Facebook to me is a medium for teenagers and kids. As an adult, I require a great deal more substance and meaning in my interactions. I would rather be alone, practicing my violin, practicing a martial art, reading, writing, hiking, cycling, listening to music alone with my thoughts while cruising the coast, and so forth, than prancing around an event with a bunch of acquaintances who I couldn't count on if my life depended on it. So I don't feel that people who appear more social are happier, but then again, some are.

I overwhelmingly prefer spending what free time I have with people who matter in my life: me, my wife and kids, anyone in my family, and a small group of close and trusted friends. You won't see this on facebook either.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 PM

802 posts, read 1,675,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Check out the Events and Adventures Singles Club in San Francisco. They do lots of events and take lots of pictures. Everyone seems so damn happy and engaged. I say that this is contrived fun that exists on purely a superficial level. Looking over those pictures, I spotted one woman who is privately an absolute basket case. She can't spend time with herself. She needs to attend events and pretend to be a part of the group, to keep herself from committing suicide. She stands there with the rest of the group, with a smile, but privately, she hates herself and thinks often about ending this life.

Facebook to me is a medium for teenagers and kids. As an adult, I require a great deal more substance and meaning in my interactions. I would rather be alone, practicing my violin, practicing a martial art, reading, writing, hiking, cycling, listening to music alone with my thoughts while cruising the coast, and so forth, than prancing around an event with a bunch of acquaintances who I couldn't count on if my life depended on it. So I don't feel that people who appear more social are happier, but then again, some are.

I overwhelmingly prefer spending what free time I have with people who matter in my life: me, my wife and kids, anyone in my family, and a small group of close and trusted friends. You won't see this on facebook either.
well-stated

Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,832,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

What does facebook have to do with being social? lol

Your life would be a lot less happy if you were sitting inside all day and never got out of the house. Is this what happened to people these days? They stopped thinking about their own lives and having fun and are spending time looking a pics of other people? hahah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships