Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

I was on Facebook today and I saw a whole bunch of photos of people doing Memorial Day stuff out and about. I had a chance to go out today but passed. But often Facebook makes me feel like my social life is lacking.

I also noticed that there are some guys on the internet who claim to have zero real friends, male or female.

Quite polar opposites to some of the people I know and I say I'd fall somewhere in between. I've had busier social periods but I'm in a lull for a couple of reasons.

So ... the question is ... Do you think more social people are generally happier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
haha, facebook makes everyone's social life look boring in comparison. I think a super crazy social life is depressing. You become obligated to all these people and run the risk of letting soemoen down.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I feel that way looking at FB sometimes too. I do feel like more social people are happier.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:35 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Not necessarily. I know a couple of very social women, always doing things, places to go, people to see. Once I got to know them I discovered they have crappy marriages and just avoid ever going home.

BUT, I have discovered I am happier overall when I have social connections. I don't have to do stuff all the time, and sometimes the big days for get-togethers are the best ones to say at home. FB exaggarates things so much but since I have less than 30 "friends" on there I don't notice much.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
I feel that those in the middle--not on the polar opposites of the spectrum of being a loner or social butterfly-- are the most content. If you have no social life, I feel that one will inevitably become depressed and even jealous that they don't live a life of constant interaction, fun, and pleasure. These emotions are only intensified by facebook where still shots have the tendency to make it look like everyone around them is having fun. On the other hand, I feel that the proverbial "social butterfly" is one who is constantly looking to find him or herself and fills that void with constant social interaction. Kind of like the characters in the Sun Also Rises. So even though this obviously varies with each individual, those who can find the right balance between alone time (reading a book, surfing the web, watching tv) and social outings are probably the most content.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
People who are socially fulfilled are happier. That is, they have the quantity and quality of social input that they need.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Well, I think it depends...Usually, yes. Sometimes though, some of the most popular people may fall into a state where they have few genuine companions, and countless, sort of, unintentional parasites who the popular people continually strive to impress and recieve little to nothing back. This seems to particularly be the cases with some young women (the anorexics and bulimics...those pressured into sex, etc.) There are some advantages to being less social at times.

But everyone has a different level of socialization they want, and if they recieve that, they're definitely happier.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Sociality -- could be a blessing, could be a curse!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I think that people who are familiar with what they like and place themselves into society accordingly, are happier than people who try to fit into situations where they are uncomfortable.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I like a happy medium. If I sit at home alone too many days I get depressed. I love coming home after a fun day out with friends. On the other hand if I go out too many days I start to feel burnt out. I love an even mix of going out and staying in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships