Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 PM

479 posts, read 833,241 times

Advertisements

hmm...I don't know about Fbook defriend, but I've most certainly defriended Fbook stock.

Being their users are most certainly as unreliable and frivolous as their corporate directors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,075,794 times
I don't think I would even notice if someone defriended me. Maybe it's happened already!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,768,351 times
Face Book creates a false reality and it's not that important. If you really consider those people on FB friends- it might mean you really do not have real friends...friends are people you actually see and touch..people that you take the time or they take the time to actually see- friendship takes effort- There is no real effort in leaning back and clicking the keys. I am glad that Face Book is fading away- it has put real friendships on hold....kind of like what they used to say about alcoholics.."The treat strangers like family and family like strangers.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,080,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I set my FB so that photos I'm tagged in do not show up on my page unless I approve them, and I rarely do. I guess the friends of the person who posted the pics can view them but if they click my name they'll get nowhere unless they are also my friend. Not too sure really, but so far I haven't had any negative results from having ugly pics of me tagged. I try to laugh it off, and usually that works. I do long for the old days when we could remove tags off other peoples pics though I think when you try to do this now, it's like reporting that person for some sort of violation which I don't want to do. The link says report/remove tag and I'm afraid to click on it because I don't want to "report".
I know too many idiots. I have been de-friending people for some time now. When I first got Facebook all sorts of people from high school found me. It didnt take long for me to realize the past needs to stay in the past. I have noticed that the people I went to HS with are big offenders of the tagging thing. They post old photos of people back in HS and it just makes you think about how people have the ability to post photos of you for the world to see if you don't like it. Lucky for me it was just those few photos this woman posted of me when we had our visit (that are now pretty much buried in her other stack of horrific photos) but I have seen others get upset. Not everyone wants to be on the web. I have clicked on that remove/report link before. After you click it gives you the option of just removing or reporting. I have never reported anyone, just removed. Yes, the photo stays up on their page. Wish they would come up with some sort of face recognition technology where legally you need everyone's permission before posting. Ah well, I can dream.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:04 AM

25,745 posts, read 16,362,928 times
I not only un-friend them but I block them. If I know them and I don't want to know them on FB then blocking them is best.

I routinely block people I work with if I see them as a suggested FB friend. I want no connections to people I work with or people I don't want to interact with.

It's up to them if they are offended or not, I cannot control that.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:56 AM

841 posts, read 1,912,364 times
Default Facebook is more of a pain these days than fun.

I've blocked most of the friends I have on Facebook. A lot of them are just people I was psyched to reconnect with but after a fashion I was tired of reading Jack's quips, Martha's bragging about her life, and Harry's every utterance from I am smoking a cigar at the club with the boys to his other lame comments.

In addition, both of my siblings are being divorced (you can't make this crap up). So there is my sister's mother in law and sister in law to block from one family because they stalk everyone's F/B for incriminating evidence to tell my soon to be ex brother in law. And then there's my brother's second wife who is being subjected to his asinine postings of photos of his latest girlfriend.

I also don't want them knowing about my life, so I just block them from my feed. They have no clue they are blocked.

I really only use Facebook to keep up with my sister, my nephew, and my friend abroad.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,161,082 times
I've defriended some people. It's usually because we were old friends (but never really close) or acquaintances, became FB friends just to say, "hi" and see what the other was up to but never really communicated beyond that and would most likely never see one another again in person because we live in different parts of the country . I like seeing how childhood friends turned out but I don't necessarily want them in my life forever. I think the term, "defriend" is what insults some people. I don't consider it personal, just cleaning things up.

I hide some people's posts if they are regularly annoying and I also hide most of my posts from people who lurk or who I don't really interact with on FB but can't or don't want to defriend for various reasons.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,909,353 times
I don't 'friend' people I work with on the account I use and have my friends/family on. Though after I've left a job, I might friend one or two that I really liked.

I have a separate FB account attached to the address I use for my resume. When a co-worker wants to 'friend' me, I give them THAT email and tell them I never go on it - because other than to address friend requests, I don't. My profile picture there is 'Old Faithful' and all my info is vanilla. My name is actually very common, so if you don't know my maiden name, you'll never find me (there are about a dozen folks who share my maiden name in the US, so if you know it, I'm easy to find, though it's 'locked up tight')

Old 06-03-2012, 12:45 AM

2,944 posts, read 4,964,980 times
I don't care much. I've been defriended people left and right since 2008. Facebook is not your platform to spew politics. I don't want to hear it and neither do the handful of people you actually know and people you just befriend because they're a friend of a friend of a cousin.

Republican, democrat, I don't care. It's annoying as frick. The Ron Paul is the man, best thing since sliced bread, Obama/Osama is the devil incarnate, links to Fox News, ST*U!

I only talk to a handful anyway. The rest are friends from long ago and just to keep in contact with.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:14 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,361,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I've blocked most of the friends I have on Facebook. A lot of them are just people I was psyched to reconnect with but after a fashion I was tired of reading Jack's quips, Martha's bragging about her life, and Harry's every utterance from I am smoking a cigar at the club with the boys to his other lame comments.

In addition, both of my siblings are being divorced (you can't make this crap up). So there is my sister's mother in law and sister in law to block from one family because they stalk everyone's F/B for incriminating evidence to tell my soon to be ex brother in law. And then there's my brother's second wife who is being subjected to his asinine postings of photos of his latest girlfriend.

I also don't want them knowing about my life, so I just block them from my feed. They have no clue they are blocked.

I really only use Facebook to keep up with my sister, my nephew, and my friend abroad.

LOL...I feel your pain. My fiancee and I went to a concert. One of the photos...at the U2 concert mind you, showed a Guinness stand. Not us holding Guinness, just the stand behind us. His ex tried to claim there were "photos of alcohol on Facebook" and to use that against him in their custody fight. It didn't work, and while I did not block her, she is so restricted that she sees a photo and that is it when she goes to my page. She blocked my fiancee, LOL.

I also have all of my friends but people I trust restricted from seeing any photos, posts, anything,

I also play some of the games, but anyone who is a "game" friend doesn't see anything but game posts.

As for being unfriended...I am sure it has happened, but I likely didn't notice, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships