Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 AM

494 posts, read 1,917,043 times

Advertisements

If your boyfriend or girlfriend's best friends disliked you and thought poorly of you and you also disliked them would that be a dealbreaker for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
On simple terms, no. You don't have to love, or get along with all of your SO's close friends.

It would only be a problem if they became intrusive and harmful to the relationship.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I would need more specifics as checkered touched upon. Do you just not mesh well or is it more serious than that?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I would wonder what his/her choice in friends said about him/her. Might this point to some aspect of his/her personality that you're not aware of? What has he/she said about the friends' reaction to you? I might not consider this a red flag, exactly, but maybe a yellow flag.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM

well, what if you didn't want to talk to or in any way have anything to do with them and your SO was upset about that fact? Simply put I sent a youtube video about health to my GF, she viewed it in front of friends, her friends said they were shocked that I sent my GF such a video as it was inappropriate and implied that my GF had bad health or overweight (a huge stretch of the imagination here)...pure nonsense. They also said that they would be very hurt if they received these types of videos from their boyfriends (if they had one - they are single!). This has offended me personally and I think they are jealous of our successful relationship (we never have fought so far) and I personally think they are acting out of malice which is extremely despicable behavior to me.

These friends also have very poor depiction of men...they talk about "training boyfriends" etc. which is also offensive to me.

Since these are her very best friends something tells me that if I dislike them it will affect our relationship as well eventually... best to get out of this situation or is it possible to take her friends out of the picture and have nothing to do with them?

Last edited by ducviloxi; 05-30-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
well, what if you didn't want to talk to or in any way have anything to do with them and your SO was upset about that fact?
If I were your SO I'd be upset by that too. You can't sit there and play nice on occasion in order to make someone you care about happy? If not, I'd end it now. These people are important to her.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Still kind of general. Still not necessarily a deal breaker. This sounds like an issue between you and SO, and not you and the friend. Your SO either will be able to accept you and the friend won't be friends, or the SO won't accept it.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Your edit just confused me. If all her friends found the video inappropriate, I really want to know what it was now. And you think they did so with malice -- why? Have you had issues with them in the past? Has your girlfriend complained to them about you before?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM

@aragx6, as I said the video was about the detrimental effects of sugar, it was a health video. My GF is a bit overweight...her friends are trying to link the video with the implication that I am commenting on her weight which is nonsense. Me and my GF talk about this kind of stuff all the time and she is hugely into losing weight...infact my GF talks more about weight than I do.

What I found inappropriate and unacceptable was how her friends deemed it necessary to make a big ado about nothing, then put bad images about me in my GF's head without any reason...this leads me to believe that they are malicious individuals.

Obviously I don't want to have anything to do with people who are a negative influence in my life (a policy that I subscribed to many years ago and has made my life much better

Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
You are the company you keep - if I found someone's friends obnoxious and didn't like them then that says something about my SO that they like being around those kinds of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships