Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM

26,202 posts, read 48,988,594 times

Advertisements

We don't waste our time on those social media sites, especially with the privacy issues.

I know that every website you visit will track you and your spending, but why make it so easy for them to do so.

I've no need for facebook, linked in, my space, twitter, instant messaging, texting, blackberries, beepers, ipods, mp3 players, ipads, iphones, radio wristwatches, pens that shoot poison pills or sports cars with surface to air missiles.

If I want to communicate with someone, I'll send an email or make a phone call.

Keep It Simple Son (KISS). And stop wasting money on excessive services and devices.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,704,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You have to read the posts you are responding to. Everything you said in response to my post is out of scope. We're talking about accessibility. Not permanent deletion.

I talked about accessibility and deletion came up as well because it was asked about ability to access the deleted information. "Data use" policy refers to the data being accessed by Facebook and used for other purposes. In scope. Relax.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,790,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
If she has her privacy settings correct it had to be one of her "friends"(even says that in the article), how liberal she is with her "friends" list is a major factor, posting a picture of the cash wasn't too bright either.
It appears you feel the Privacy setting places your information in some Xmen type of protective bubble.

Hackers have dismantle facebook security parameters on more than one occasion.

Apply for TS (Top Secret) clearance and you will be surprised at how well your Privacy setting holds up.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,240,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
It appears you feel the Privacy setting places your information in some Xmen type of protective bubble.

Hackers have dismantle facebook security parameters on more than one occasion.

Apply for TS (Top Secret) clearance and you will be surprised at how well your Privacy setting holds up.
When systems are created every programmer puts in a few back doors. They are intended to be used to fix problems, but can be used for anything. I assume any system has one somewhere. If a hacker or one with 'offical' access wants in, they'll find a way. Remember the 'cookie' story with a top secret military setup and a smart kid who sent them a message wanting a cookie. They typed 'cookie' and the system went back to the usual business. It wasn't malitiouls, just a curiious to see if they could do it teen.

A lot of those early 'hackers' got hired to do systems security to try to keep others like themselves out. When I was in college there was a fifteen year old who was 'consulted' by the district programmers and the day he turned 16 he would be hired. He was still finishing the high school classes he wasn't interested in. But he'd broken into the system completely on his own and only to see if he could do it. By then he knew more about it than the official systems people did. He wouldn't do anything malitious, but could have done considerable damage if he wanted to.

Something like Facebook, with all the highly useful personal information left and catagorized and organized is a natural target of both the cookie type and those with more neferious motives. Never assume what you put in a 'private' place on a website is going to remain private.

I do a lot of shopping online, but from sites I trust to have every reason to keep customers trust and let me buy without transmitting my card number in full each time, or smaller sites where I can use a third party site where there is also a good reason to keep trust. But still, you are never completely sure.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:30 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,858,528 times
My husband and I don't. No Facebook, Myspace (although I have an account from FOREVER ago- it's not logged into or used), Twitter, or any of that junk.

We don't need it. If anyone wants to get in contact with us, we've had the same email addresses for 10+ years and I've had the same phone number for 7 years. We're not that hard to find if anyone really cares to. We just don't understand the social networking obsession.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,959,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
My husband and I don't. No Facebook, Myspace (although I have an account from FOREVER ago- it's not logged into or used), Twitter, or any of that junk.

We don't need it. If anyone wants to get in contact with us, we've had the same email addresses for 10+ years and I've had the same phone number for 7 years. We're not that hard to find if anyone really cares to. We just don't understand the social networking obsession.
Neither do we. I just cannot see what needs it fulfills.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM

19,683 posts, read 20,204,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
We just don't understand the social networking obsession.

The "obsession" people have with FB (etc..) is really no different from that which draws people to forums like this one.

*Information, interaction, and entertainment.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,983,195 times
I use this forum and occasionally FB when I need to look for someone to connect/network with.

I also use LinkedIn and have connected with worthy colleagues & mentors.

Besides the beneficial aspect of those two, I basically keep away from the others like twitter, myspace, blackplanet, etc.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM

44 posts, read 99,860 times
Agreed dont use it and never will

Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,958,928 times
I don't do Facebook, Twitter, My Space or any of those sites. I don't have a Smartphone, GPS, Ipad and have no earthly idea how to send a text message and never received one. My little flip Motorola phone is capable of calling for help if my car breaks down and that's all I need. I post on City Data and one motorcycle message board ... that's it.

I send and receive emails from friends and relatives or I pick up my landline telephone and give them a call or they call me.

My son and grandson keep trying to pull me into the 21st century but I like it where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships