Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendaleMiami View Post
you're probably just socially awkward. it's okay, most people are in this day and age. you just have it worse than most.
OMG! That is so funny. A person who would rather communicate with their friends face to face, or at worst over the telephone, is NOT socially awkward.

A person who pretemds to have friends because they babble electronically and share verything down to their bra size, but hasn't met half the people they babble with and can't carry on a face to face conversation, is the definition of socially awkward.

I think you have things completely backward.

I don't use much social media, except as it relates to my work. I definitely don't use face book (although i did short the stock and made a killing) and i really have very little interest in it. The whole thing seems like an enormous entertainment playhouse for people who have difficulty getting off their a$$es and recreating in a physical way, and intereacting with people face to face. It is SO easy to say you are my friend when all i have to do is send you a little message, rather than work hard at carrying on a conversation ( a socail skill which is awkward for some) and engaging you without the distraction of little bells and whistles ringing left and right as someone wants to share with a group of people they mostly never met that their corn on the left toe just fell off.

I wonder about the economic consequences of social media. People are getting very wealthy from it, and the more they can get people to use it, the more wealthy they become. It is a 'product' designed in many ways to seperate people from their money, and it does a very good job. The cool thing is that they have been able to suggest that if you don't skype or face book or whatever, you are a social darwin. It is very cleveryly handled, and makes billions for the sites.

And lastly, anyone who thinks that ANYTHING they put on the internet is not completely public information is being naiive. With a few clever key strokes there is nothing that i can't learn about you from those cute pics you took to see who could give the deepest BJ in high school to your medical records to your complete financial history, including that credit card number that you "secretly" gave to that social media site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
There are a few forums I visit such as this one. But Ive not joined or used any of the 'social' sites such as fb or myspace or twitter, etc. I have no need to for them. I see friends and family face to face just fine. For my friends that live out of town I just call them .

Old 05-31-2014, 12:48 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastthemiddle View Post
Just curious.

I created a FB profile once only to get in touch with a former employer and dismantled it right after I made contact. I have no interest in social media, don't want anyone to "find" me or connect with old acquaintances. I figure, if I want to keep in touch I can call/email/text whatever. If I have lost touch, its usually intentional.

I am not a technophobe, I just don't see the point. Anyone have a similar POV? Or, am I missing something truly fantastic and I just don't get what that is?
Although I do use social media, I know quite a few people who have no interest in using social media at all.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
I lost interest in Facebook early on. MySpace was another, and I really didn't see any point in Twitter. I tried that stuff and it just didn't do anything for me. Meh...

Others have uses for it I suppose, but I really didn't care for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships