Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times

Advertisements

It doesn't bother me one bit. I still keep in contact with my father and I love him very much. He's made mistakes but he is human.

Only time it acutely bothers me is when my younger siblings ask me where my dad is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:59 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Default just saw the movie courageous . am thinking is the missing daddy really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Yes some of them do say that, again, I have heard a lot of them say this because they're put in that position in the first place. So they tell themselves, others, and the children they don't 'need a man to raise their child with them.'

Also, I don't know what you're saying is 'bull,' technically one parent can successfully raise a child without the other, happens everyday. Sorry to tell you.

Technically, yes. But what is "successfully"? Provide the child with food, clothing, and shelter? Yes, one parent can do that. Provide the child with love? Yes, one can do that as well.

But without a positive male role model, there will be a void. Or do you deny this? I know many men who don't even know how to tie a tie because no one showed them. Sad.

Edited to add:

I don't think the male role model has to necessarily be the biological father. Face it, some men aren't up to the task. Why women pick deadbeats to be the father of their child, I will never know. Perhaps because they themselves haven't been exposed to a good man?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Last edited by mochamajesty; 06-23-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM

657 posts, read 716,980 times
we can adapt to any thing in life throws at us. but the statitic back up that the daddy is the most important member of the family........... with him home ................ the odd are better ..........for everybody

Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
we can adapt to any thing in life throws at us. but the statitic back up that the daddy is the most important member of the family........... with him home ................ the odd are better ..........for everybody
A good father, a good mother, both good things to have. A bad one, not so much. Unless you can make people good then thinking that having any old dad in the home is the solution so some problem is ignorant. Sorry but there is usually a good reason your "daddy" isn't there.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Well don't say "one parent can't do it" my mother did it and here I sit and my sister as well. We are both educated and have jobs, neither of us are in half the situations I see other women getting themselves into (some of them that had fathers in the home). So you're wrong about that. Is it ideal? No. But it can be done and is being done by single parents every day.

Yes, but look at your posts on this forum regarding men and relationships. You may be educated and have a job, but that is only part of the equation.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Yes some of them do say that, again, I have heard a lot of them say this because they're put in that position in the first place. So they tell themselves, others, and the children they don't 'need a man to raise their child with them.'

Also, I don't know what you're saying is 'bull,' technically one parent can successfully raise a child without the other, happens everyday. Sorry to tell you.

and look at the world we are giving our children's children ........ do u think we did well? are u happy ?
think of all the social issue ...... let me tell u one ....85% of inmates no father at home.....a single parent

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
I would recommend seeing it. It was very powerful
Sure, if you enjoy over the top Christian propaganda films..

Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Sure, if you enjoy over the top Christian propaganda films..
if you don't believe in something you fall for everything ..... this is a good stand

Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 PM

446 posts, read 997,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Does anyone ever notice how if deadbeat moms and single dads are brought up, threads and topics go all quiet?
If that's the case, it's probably because most people just can't relate to that scenario. If there's gonna be a deadbeat parent, in most cases it'll be the dad. That's just how it is.

That's not to say one is more devastating than the other though. A family just isn't fully functional without both parents there ... I know because I was lucky enough to have TWO deadbeat parents!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Does anyone ever notice how if deadbeat moms and single dads are brought up, threads and topics go all quiet?
My late mother-in-law had a deadbeat mom. Alcoholic. Her father divorced her and raised the kids and eventually married his dead brother's widow. My MIL said that when her father died, she was at the funeral home and this woman walked in dressed in black from head to toe and she turned to her sister and said, "Who is THAT?" And her sister said, "Mommy".

The deadbeat moms are around. There's a woman in my church who was loudly complaining about having to live in her truck...when pressed, there's some convoluted tale of woe, but what it boils down to is that for some reason, she is not allowed by law to live in the same apartment with her teenage sons. and so they are living with their father. Something is wrong, and a judge doesn't just hand out an order of restraint keeping a mother from living with her own kids without good reason. Some sucker took her in, not me. (Yeah, I'm a bad Christian, don't like it, write a letter to somebody.)

My niece's mother is another deadbeat mom. My former SIL is now 58 and has been using heroin since the age of 18. The longest she's been clean at a time is 2 months, usually because she was in jail. My niece was raised by her mother's mother and came to my now-dead brother on the weekends. He gave his child support money faithfully to the grandmother. Now my former SIL has a brain tumor and is in a nursing home, where she most recently attacked one of the nurses because the nurse wouldn't give her more medication when she demanded it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships