Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,137 times

Advertisements

Did you have a best friend (or two) or many close friends when you were growing-up? What were they like? Do you still stay in touch today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,368 times
I am in contact with my best friend E, who lives in Texas. We ran around in our diapers together and our friendship has survived for 38+ years. Speaking of E, I have to email her and tell her about the latest chapter in my life.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
I had one, but a few years ago I finally cut her loose. We lived in different states, but she was still managing to be a complete energy vampire. I am very loyal so I agonized over the decision, but once I cut her out of my life it was amazing how much better I felt, almost immediately. By that time the bad times with her had really outweighed all the nice memories. I did grieve for a couple years as I went through the normal stages of loss, but it was definitely the right decision.

I wish I'd selected my friends better as a child like Pikake did!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Did you have a best friend (or two) or many close friends when you were growing-up? What were they like? Do you still stay in touch today?
I have one, Know him over 30 years. Don't see him as much esp as he had some jolts in life over the last 2 years or so and moved further away recently. Will always keep in touch with him though no matter how far. Be it e-mail or phone.

A few others I lost complete touch with. No malice and always will they be in my mind. It's just the rivers of life widen and we drift apart.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM

461 posts, read 922,307 times
I have one named Curt that I always used to hang out with. If we run into each other we'll hang out for a bit and have a good time, but realistically we have enormously different interests and just aren't in the same place anymore. We grew into much different adult lives.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 PM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I'm still good friends with many people who were in my kindergarten class. One of my friends -- who I've known since before kindergarten -- flew in from Colorado a few weeks after my husband died to spend a long weekend with me. We are in touch almost daily. We've had our spats and disagreements in the past 45+ years, but I don't see any way that we wouldn't continue our friendship.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,968,471 times
I have two girlfriends that I have known for 58 years and 42 years.
Recently, my high school class is having mini reunions and we're having a blast reconnecting, Facebook helped a lot finding everyone.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,137 times
I had a best friend when I was young. (Rita) Her Mom and my Mom were best friends and we all lived in the same neighborhood. Rita and I went to the same Catholic school...All went well for the longest time but Rita became more moody and "hot and cold" as she got older...She could be "snippy" with her parents too and this upset me because her parents were sweet and friendly and caring people...After awhile I dreaded going over to visit her because I didn't know if she'd be friendly or "crabby." My Mom noticed that I was seeing less of Rita and asked me if we'd had a fight. I told my Mom about all of Rita's mood changes and how she treated her parents "badly" at times too...My Mom told me that Rita's Mom had a son that died earlier in life. (I didn't know this.) And Rita's Mom couldn't have anymore children. Rita was their "one and only." (I was an only child too.)...My Mom said that Rita's parents had trouble "saying no" to her and let her "get away" with things because they probably hadn't dealt with losing their son. (And not being able to have more children.) This was what my Mom thought anyway. She felt Rita was getting a little "spoiled."...My Mom suggested that I "ease-up" on seeing Rita quite as much and cultivate some new friendships with girls on my block or girls in my class. (Which I did.)... It was never the same with Rita. (Sad.) She just didn't seem to appreciate anyone or anything. (Not for long anyway.) ..My Mom kept me updated on Rita's life through the years and remained good friends with Rita's Mom.(I sure liked her too!)

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 PM

7,363 posts, read 5,477,454 times
I had a best friend for over 40 years and all of a sudden she stopped returning my calls. This was recently. The last time I spoke to her on the phone was right after Easter. I finally gave up calling her. I'm confused and sad about this. I thought we would be lifelong friends.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,343 times
Debsi, good for you..I have one so called vampire in my life since first grade..when I moved to the US, in '85, we stayed in touch via letters..I guess she was my connection to Europe, sort of like an umbellical cord but without the nourishment. Then when I moved back to Europe I stayed with her till I found an apartment..I found one really fast, she only helps herself, not others... expects soooo much in return for so little. She tells you all her woes everyday and what can you do but listen when you're a guest in her house? Plus you have to be grateful for her helping you out! So I tried cutting that cord a few years back but somehow she snuck back in, I live a ways away from her so the contact is limited and sporadic but still...that vampire is still lurking. The fact that I'm such a sucker, glutton for punishment, I have to be grateful for her helping me out that whole month...blah blah blah....I need to get over all that and cut the cord once and for all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships