Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 06:57 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
People who copy others
All my life, I've had problems with other people wanting to copy me. for instance, I had a girlfriend who, got her hair cut like me, bought a coat just like mine and even took my staple sayings, now, there is a girl at work who has copied my decorating ideas, (she came to my home for dinner with her huband and some other friends) she is always copying my ideas for decorating. But now my neighbors, copy...when I moved into my community, there was only one other house that hand a candle in the window....I put mine in every window, and now the entire community has them...then I had a privacy lattice built which I designed, so a neighbor walked up the the contractor and asked him to do the same thing to her house... and now, they are all coping my gardening ideas, specific patterns I use, and design? A friend of mine has told me this is the highest form of flattery, but not for me. I've always been the kind of person, who doesn't want what everyone else has. I love things that are way different, one of a kind, so pecular and antique iron stuff...it's to the point, when they come to visit, they are not visiting me, but looking to get more ideas....especially if they see I've gotten some deliverys. Why don't people come up with they're own original ideas, why do they have to copy me? It really is annoying? And it hurts....that they do exactly what I do.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Since you have this ability to get others to follow you and start new trends maybe you should take one of your unique creative ideas and start a business ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Since you have this ability to get others to follow you and start new trends maybe you should take one of your unique creative ideas and start a business ?
whoever coined the phrase, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," was most certainly someone who copied others themselves.

Don't want the ability to have others follow me, and start new trends, and that isn't what I am complaining about....and I have no interest in starting my own business....

If you disagree, fine, your choice, however, if you copy people and are being defensive, then I suggest you please stop before you loose a friend....

I find that people who take offense to this thread copy themselves, otherwise it wouldn't spark any major chords....

Old 02-24-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
She sounds like the girl from Single White Female. Very creepy.
didn't see that movie, but it was very creepy, getting on my nerves and causing stress...honestly, every time I bought something new, I was afraid of her coming in and seeing it and wanting it....

She even went into my bathroom not my guest bathroom but my bathroom, and asked me what this and that was for, and then made it known she had bought stuff like I had...and who goes into someone else's refrigerator and scans what they have? And then goes out and buys it....I mean seriously? She even made the comment, I couldn't find the almond milk you have yours has less calories, but I bought this kind?

What bothered me most is, she gossiped so much...about others....made their business her business....and that is the main reason why I stopped the friendship, it was just to much....and she was called a busy body by others in our neighborhood, and she repeated stuff....

Ironically, I lived near to her brother years ago, when we were young and our children were young, and he was disliked by everyone....he was crude and lude, and the gossip center and he made a lot of us angry at him....so.....but yeah, he was awful....

Old 02-24-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
whoever coined the phrase, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," was most certainly someone who copied others themselves.

Don't want the ability to have others follow me, and start new trends, and that isn't what I am complaining about....and I have no interest in starting my own business....

If you disagree, fine, your choice, however, if you copy people and are being defensive, then I suggest you please stop before you loose a friend....

I find that people who take offense to this thread copy themselves, otherwise it wouldn't spark any major chords....
I honestly didn't read all of this thread and was responding only to your first post about neighbors copying your creative ideas. I do not disagree or take offense if you do not like to be copied. I also thought that most people come onto this website to give ideas and advice they hope will be listened to and copied.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I honestly didn't read all of this thread and was responding only to your first post about neighbors copying your creative ideas. I do not disagree or take offense if you do not like to be copied. I also thought that most people come onto this website to give ideas and advice they hope will be listened to and copied.
no worries, actually thank you for coming back and explaining, sometimes, you get so used to people being nasty and condescending in this forum, that its easy to develop a chip on your shoulder. I hope you will accept my apology...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
no worries, actually thank you for coming back and explaining, sometimes, you get so used to people being nasty and condescending in this forum, that its easy to develop a chip on your shoulder. I hope you will accept my apology...

Apology 'accepted .

Old 02-24-2015, 05:43 PM

436 posts, read 579,268 times
Quote:
People who copy others
All my life, I've had problems with other people wanting to copy me. for instance, I had a girlfriend who, got her hair cut like me, bought a coat just like mine and even took my staple sayings, now, there is a girl at work who has copied my decorating ideas, (she came to my home for dinner with her huband and some other friends) she is always copying my ideas for decorating. But now my neighbors, copy...when I moved into my community, there was only one other house that hand a candle in the window....I put mine in every window, and now the entire community has them...then I had a privacy lattice built which I designed, so a neighbor walked up the the contractor and asked him to do the same thing to her house... and now, they are all coping my gardening ideas, specific patterns I use, and design? A friend of mine has told me this is the highest form of flattery, but not for me. I've always been the kind of person, who doesn't want what everyone else has. I love things that are way different, one of a kind, so pecular and antique iron stuff...it's to the point, when they come to visit, they are not visiting me, but looking to get more ideas....especially if they see I've gotten some deliverys. Why don't people come up with they're own original ideas, why do they have to copy me? It really is annoying? And it hurts....that they do exactly what I do.

I had a friend who did this to me, if I dyed my hair red, she dyed her hair red, if I put up blue wallpaper, she put up blue wallpaper, if I bought a white SUV, she bought a white SUV. If I decided to have a all white and gold Christmas she had an all white and gold Christmas. I finally figured out that this truly was the sincerest form of flattery. When she saw something I did she liked she was all like "oh what a good idea!" and she would copy it. I got over being annoyed by it and would help her find what it was she was looking for that was "just like" mine.

I moved several hundred miles away and the friendship is in the distant past, wow do i miss her and the loss of the daily friendship I had with her and her lovely family. I wish she was still in my daily life to copy me.

There are a lot worse things in life than having someone admire your taste and eye for design.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I had a friend who did this to me, if I dyed my hair red, she dyed her hair red, if I put up blue wallpaper, she put up blue wallpaper, if I bought a white SUV, she bought a white SUV. If I decided to have a all white and gold Christmas she had an all white and gold Christmas. I finally figured out that this truly was the sincerest form of flattery. When she saw something I did she liked she was all like "oh what a good idea!" and she would copy it. I got over being annoyed by it and would help her find what it was she was looking for that was "just like" mine.

I moved several hundred miles away and the friendship is in the distant past, wow do i miss her and the loss of the daily friendship I had with her and her lovely family. I wish she was still in my daily life to copy me.

There are a lot worse things in life than having someone admire your taste and eye for design.
yeah ..... I have a friend who use to do this alll the time. Copied what I wore . (would ask where I bought something then go and buy the same), if I cut my hair, so did she... She got green coloured contacts .....on some occasions people would think we were sisters.

I suppose it can be flattering,...but its kind of annoying too.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post

Quote:
yes, there most certainly is, however, I am extremely independent and cannot be smothered....she was extremely smothering, and the copy part, I'm happy for you that it didn't bother you....however, I suppose being a loner all my life contributes to the annoyance....some people don't mind, others do and as myself it really got on my nerves...when people cannot respect the personal space of others, it then to me becomes an annoyance and added stress that I personally don't need or want.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 761 times
Omg.. I hate this crap. It's a girl at my job that copied my hair style after I got a different cut and then a few weeks later she copied the cut I have now... sheesh get a life and not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships