U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 AM

97 posts, read 61,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
One of the men in my community has told me, that I'm an asset to the community, that was quit an honor...some of the things they copy, honestly, I don't care, but some things I do...however, what you say is true....thanks your very kind. Cremebrulee is my very favorate dessert, that is how I came up with it...LOL...
yeah it is kind of dificult to find people copying you but it can be fun too. Many years ago when I worked on alcatraz as a tour guide another guide got bored of telling the same old same old (here is where Alcapone was jailed, here is where machine Gun kelly was jailed, ....etc) that she made up a story -that the guards had caught a shark and cut off one off its fins so that it could only endlessly circle the Island and serve as deterrent to escape. Two weeks later I was on tour next to the Island supervisor and I overheard her say to a reporter that the guards were very devious and they used to catch sharks and cut off one fin so that they could only circle around the Island and prevent escapes. OH YEAH laugh time.!!!! since then I've heard that story along with the toilet talking story in TV shows and books about the Island. Just think if one tour guide can do that what are you doing to change the world?!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 AM

12,564 posts, read 11,011,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaridad View Post
yeah it is kind of dificult to find people copying you but it can be fun too. Many years ago when I worked on alcatraz as a tour guide another guide got bored of telling the same old same old (here is where Alcapone was jailed, here is where machine Gun kelly was jailed, ....etc) that she made up a story -that the guards had caught a shark and cut off one off its fins so that it could only endlessly circle the Island and serve as deterrent to escape. Two weeks later I was on tour next to the Island supervisor and I overheard her say to a reporter that the guards were very devious and they used to catch sharks and cut off one fin so that they could only circle around the Island and prevent escapes. OH YEAH laugh time.!!!! since then I've heard that story along with the toilet talking story in TV shows and books about the Island. Just think if one tour guide can do that what are you doing to change the world?!! LOL
LOL, good story, thank you for sharing!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 AM

3,518 posts, read 2,531,544 times
You either need to stop caring what other people think and do (because if you really like something, it doesn't matter if other people like or dislike it) or consider this an opportunity to stretch and strengthen your creative abilities, always staying one step ahead and designing things that are harder and harder to imitate.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:20 AM

12,564 posts, read 11,011,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You either need to stop caring what other people think and do (because if you really like something, it doesn't matter if other people like or dislike it) or consider this an opportunity to stretch and strengthen your creative abilities, always staying one step ahead and designing things that are harder and harder to imitate.
Actually, to be honest, and I do thank you for your feedback...it is very informative...but I don't care what other people think of me, I'm way beyond that...actually I'm a bit of a loner by choice, and do struggle to keep people at bay, b/c I work full time and need my down quiet time alone...however, when I create something, and someone copies it, it does ruffle my feathers a bit. and at the time of this post, I was hurt, b/c I no sooner did something in my garden and the VERY next day the neighbor copied it...but it's ok...so what right...today I feel differently about it....really...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM

3,518 posts, read 2,531,544 times
Quote:
Actually, to be honest, and I do thank you for your feedback...it is very informative...but I don't care what other people think of me, I'm way beyond that...actually I'm a bit of a loner by choice, and do struggle to keep people at bay, b/c I work full time and need my down quiet time alone...however, when I create something, and someone copies it, it does ruffle my feathers a bit. and at the time of this post, I was hurt, b/c I no sooner did something in my garden and the VERY next day the neighbor copied it...but it's ok...so what right...today I feel differently about it....really...
I understand the sentiment, I think we've all felt it before and maybe still do sometimes but it is something that we have to recognize as petty and move past it, even when it feels so infuriating. Just don't let this break your stride. I really was serious about seeing this as a challenge to be more creative than ever.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM

5,949 posts, read 10,299,226 times
creme, I think it IS flattery - I myself am not very creative, nor do I have any sense of style whatsoever. I try, but it never quite comes together for me. So yeah - I see something I like and I try to go home and replicate it, or I'll buy an outfit that looked good on someone else (things rarely work out for me, BTW - none of it! If you aren't creative, you just aren't - I end up looking like a faker, LOL!)

I'd never do that in my own neighborhood - but take heart - you are providing inspiration for those of us who don't have a creative bone in our bodies! And I know someone will try to take credit for "your" idea, but just roll with it - if all your neighbors are copying you, then they all know the REAL score anyway!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM

123 posts, read 108,777 times
Someone told me she copied because she was not good at decorating, and this prevented her from making mistakes

Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 PM

8,749 posts, read 4,102,547 times
I was going to copy your post and start a whole new thread... under my name.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM

4,008 posts, read 2,251,413 times
Quote:
People who copy others
All my life, I've had problems with other people wanting to copy me. for instance, I had a girlfriend who, got her hair cut like me, bought a coat just like mine and even took my staple sayings, now, there is a girl at work who has copied my decorating ideas, (she came to my home for dinner with her huband and some other friends) she is always copying my ideas for decorating. But now my neighbors, copy...when I moved into my community, there was only one other house that hand a candle in the window....I put mine in every window, and now the entire community has them...then I had a privacy lattice built which I designed, so a neighbor walked up the the contractor and asked him to do the same thing to her house... and now, they are all coping my gardening ideas, specific patterns I use, and design? A friend of mine has told me this is the highest form of flattery, but not for me. I've always been the kind of person, who doesn't want what everyone else has. I love things that are way different, one of a kind, so pecular and antique iron stuff...it's to the point, when they come to visit, they are not visiting me, but looking to get more ideas....especially if they see I've gotten some deliverys. Why don't people come up with they're own original ideas, why do they have to copy me? It really is annoying? And it hurts....that they do exactly what I do.
You are obviously a trend setter!

Fashions come and go, and it is a phenomenon of human nature that fashion exists at all. How can people all over the world simultaneously decide they like a particular hairstyle? But it happens...quite amazing when you think about it. It's like a mass conscience, it's intangible, but it exists.

I would relax, it is quite possible that you are copying someone too, whether it's something you've subliminally noticed on tv or online...you probably don't even realise you're doing it, and nor do your neighbours. We are all vulnerable to it, because we are all part of the human race.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 PM

228 posts, read 193,466 times
Conformity is a huge problem. For the average person conforming is like a habit.

You might be doing something impressive: the others imitate your work without bothering to be original or thoughtful to you.

But I can relate because I am also bothered by those who are copy cats.

Quote:
People who copy others
All my life, I've had problems with other people wanting to copy me. for instance, I had a girlfriend who, got her hair cut like me, bought a coat just like mine and even took my staple sayings, now, there is a girl at work who has copied my decorating ideas, (she came to my home for dinner with her huband and some other friends) she is always copying my ideas for decorating. But now my neighbors, copy...when I moved into my community, there was only one other house that hand a candle in the window....I put mine in every window, and now the entire community has them...then I had a privacy lattice built which I designed, so a neighbor walked up the the contractor and asked him to do the same thing to her house... and now, they are all coping my gardening ideas, specific patterns I use, and design? A friend of mine has told me this is the highest form of flattery, but not for me. I've always been the kind of person, who doesn't want what everyone else has. I love things that are way different, one of a kind, so pecular and antique iron stuff...it's to the point, when they come to visit, they are not visiting me, but looking to get more ideas....especially if they see I've gotten some deliverys. Why don't people come up with they're own original ideas, why do they have to copy me? It really is annoying? And it hurts....that they do exactly what I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships