Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ya, ya, kids these days. As if our parents didn't say the same crap about us.

So what did you do about it? Sounds like nothing.
I believe Aristotle talked about "kids these days."
We are what our parents teach us.

I was rebellious, but I doubt I'd have ever done what these kids did.
Obviously, bad behavior was acceptable at their homes.
Something this egregious doesn't occur out of the blue.

I guess their kids were special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,929,524 times
Wow a lot of people here must be ancient if they remember kids being respectful on the bus, when I rode the bus it was exactly the same as that video every day and that was 15 years ago. Kids on my bus were even worse, spitballing and rubber banding the bus driver and other kids. A lot of people really live sheltered lives.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,179,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Parents coddle their children too much these days. They give them no responsibilities, and no consequences for their actions.
Pretty much this.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
I think a lot of people are disrespectful to others in general, and that many kids pick up on what they see the adults around them doing. Adults have become much ruder amongst themselves, and this is simply reflected in the younger generations. If what we are noticing every day is rudeness, then we need to look at ourselves first. Of course not every teen is rude and not every adult is polite. In fact I would even go as far as to say that many adults are rude but let off the hook, but often when a teen is rude, they get lumped in with all the "disrespectful impudent insolent little twerps" without any acknowledgement for all the teens who are polite and considerate.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM

742 posts, read 2,064,106 times
"Monkey see, monkey do."
"We are a product of our environment."

In many cases, it's the absence of boundaries and attention that led kids to engage in behaviors that are hurtful and dangerous. But they hide it well at home, playing the 'good child' in the presence of their family.

I am already worrying about my son entering high school, and he's currently 4! He's spoilt, is coddled a lot, and hasn't yet learned to stand up for himself. Which gives other kids incentives to pick on him. I plan to enroll him in martial arts classes when he's old enough. More than anything, it will help him instill confidence and be assertive.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
"Monkey see, monkey do."
"We are a product of our environment."

In many cases, it's the absence of boundaries and attention that led kids to engage in behaviors that are hurtful and dangerous. But they hide it well at home, playing the 'good child' in the presence of their family.

I am already worrying about my son entering high school, and he's currently 4! He's spoilt, is coddled a lot, and hasn't yet learned to stand up for himself. Which gives other kids incentives to pick on him. I plan to enroll him in martial arts classes when he's old enough. More than anything, it will help him instill confidence and be assertive.
Who spoiled and coddled him?
Why wouldn't you help him be confident and assertive?
You're the parent, aren't you?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
So you watched them abuse her for 20 minutes and didn't speak up?
Good point. That the OP would just stand there watching for 20 minutes. Perhaps munching on some pop corn at the same time?

Yes such behaviour is cowardly and pretty low.

But no, teens 'nowadays' aren't really that different. Some teens will always be disrespectful. Some will also not, I never did anything of the sort as a teenager, in fact I was the type old ladies loved and called 'a nice young man.' I didn't go out of my way to be super nice, I was just polite, congenial, and minded by P's and Q's among them. A little respect goes a long way...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM

224 posts, read 827,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Wow a lot of people here must be ancient if they remember kids being respectful on the bus, when I rode the bus it was exactly the same as that video every day and that was 15 years ago. Kids on my bus were even worse, spitballing and rubber banding the bus driver and other kids. A lot of people really live sheltered lives.
20 years ago when I was riding the bus kids were just as bad. There were racial slurs, fights, spitballing ruled and I remember kids getting their clothing pulled off in back of bus. I was hit, pushed, people refused to let me sit beside them and threatened. I had my boobs grabbed by a teenager when I was in elementary school on the bus and no one did anything. I remember hearing someone had been raped on the bus, but I don't know if that was true. We had teacher pedophiles back then too and all the kids in school knew who to avoid. I don't think that much has changed in childhood behavior. Bullying was severe and widespread back then too.

The only thing different I can think of is society as a whole is getting tired of bigots being prejudice against people for the way they are born ie: color, religion of their parents, being gay, etc and the young people are rebeling against the constant bigoted opinions of the older generation. Not all older people are this way mind you but because so many are it makes the younger generation hate the older one. Even as a 40 something I have my trying times having to put up with the bigoted rants of my parents, grandparents and their elderly friends and neighbors. Its frustrating so what can you do? I think the young people are just sick of the B.S., but aren't savvy enough yet to learn how to let it go in one ear and out the other.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,303,130 times
I think the reason is the moral decline cross culturally in America. The respect issue is not only with teens... but look at what we as a society allow that is so disrespectful to humanity. For example the sexual exploitation of children in the entertainment industry. We allow racism, we tolerate hatred and tell kids they have rights without linking responsibility. It is like feeding a kid a diet of candy w/o meat&veggies. U cannot raise healthy kids w/o balance. We as a society are driven my free market no matter what the market puts out as long as there is consumer demand it's all good. Well what is being marketed is ruining our children. The kids are not respectful because they have not been respected and have been left to set their own moral compasses under the influence of things like video games, and other media. We as a society have allowed all kinds of things to touch and shape the very souls of children. Then we complain about their outlandish behavior. We are right to complain, but wrong not to accept responsibility. The absence of conscience in a student is evidence the teacher is a fool. Maybe excluding God is more problematic than we think. I am speaking in general terms not absolutes. I am giving my own opinion and perspective. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM

821 posts, read 1,847,166 times
It gets down to how a kid is raised. The vast majority are respectful and courteous.

A simple telephone call by you, the witness or observer, to the police to report and elderly person was being harassed or bullied by a group of kids (teens?) and the police would have gotten on at the next stop or two and the kids might have been thrown off the train. Get involved and don't just observe when you see something wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships