Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is funnier, men or women?
Men 65 62.50%
Women 7 6.73%
They are equally funny 32 30.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 PM

830 posts, read 1,727,696 times

Advertisements

Aside from comedians, most women I know seem to value laughing with their friends less than men do. Seems like the women I know are more into talking about their lives, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I laugh at all the guys you mentioned, and my SO laughs at Chelsea Handler, Whitney Cummings and Lisa Lampenelli.

There are more male compedians I could name than female, but mostly it has been a male dominated industry with a few women breaking through.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
is this thread about comedians or is it about everyday people being funny? Either way I find men to be funnier

Old 06-26-2012, 02:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I think in American culture yes, men tend to be a bit funnier than women. However in other cultures this is not the case so I don't believe it has a biological basis. As for stand up comedians, I guess it's male dominated like most fields.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think in American culture yes, men tend to be a bit funnier than women. However in other cultures this is not the case so I don't believe it has a biological basis. As for stand up comedians, I guess it's male dominated like most fields.
I wouldn't say that. America doesn't have a bias in the music world toward singers. Look at our charts, you'll see Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Katy Perry or Nicki Minaj there. The only guy singer at that level of popularity is unfortunately Justin Bieber. Comedy could just as easily have as many women if women were as funny as men but there are no female equivalents to Dave Chapelle, Norm Macdonald, Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx etc.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
I agree with you that more males make it as comedians. It just takes a tremendous ability to be either self-deprecating, and/or mean as a junkyard dog. It's hard for most women to be self-deprecating (we're expected to be very elegantly proud of ourselves lol), and it just doesn't look good for women to be vicious and psychotically mean.

On the other hand, I LOVE female comedians. I don't know how they pull it off. With all the demands upon women, and they still manage to be incredibly funny. I think they must be geniuses. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Joan Rivers is also pretty funny, but based on history, more males probably "make-it" as comedians, hence there are fewer funny women to even enter into that pool (because it is a male dominated profession).

I also think that Roseann Barr can be very witty/funny.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I don't know if men are funnier, but they are much less uptight. Being less uptight gives off that "I'm fun-loving and even possibly funny" vibe.

Sometimes men think they are funny and they are not one bit funny. Bathroom or slapstick humor, while occasionally ok, is not my definition of a sense of humor. It's gotta be smarter than that.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I dont find women stand up comedians funny at all. All their material usually involves making jokes about sex. A man comedian can be funny without even saying anything funny. Its all in the delivery and body language.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I laugh at all the guys you mentioned, and my SO laughs at Chelsea Handler, Whitney Cummings and Lisa Lampenelli.

There are more male compedians I could name than female, but mostly it has been a male dominated industry with a few women breaking through.
I don't think being a comedian is necessarily the epitome of being funny, and like someone else said, maybe funny men are more likely to look for approval on stage rather than in print. Plus, it's been written about a lot that comedy is a boys' club, and the boys tend to hire and look to their bros for humor.

Erma Bombeck was funny in her day, but she was a newspaper columnist. The aforementioned Tina Fey, along with Amy Poehler and Mindy Kaling, Kristin Schall, and Maria Bamford are all funny women who aren't necessarily totally out there.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Generally really funny guys have lived really hard lives like Chris Rock, Christopher Titus, Richard Pryor etc. Also most comedians are hardly carefree, most have serious depression or mental issues, that's why so many die young like John Belushi, Sam Kinison, Richard Jeni and Greg Giraldo Sense of humor is the only thing that keeps a lot of those guys from killing themselves and a lot of comedians really teeter on the brink.

so? That doesn't change the fact that this is talking about everyday men and women, not famous people. Everyday women are saddled with a lot of problems (not saying men aren't) but the reality is they are the ones that bear and take care of the children day in and day out. Life is a lot less funny for the average woman as compared to some comedian making hundreds on stage or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships