Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM

749 posts, read 2,077,503 times

Advertisements

I'm not the typical Southern woman by a long shot. I'm actually quite eccentric. I was born and raised in Georgia and have never left this area to live elsewhere, I do have a few cousins living in the Midwest, but I act nothing like the "typical" SOuthern woman.

Women in the South (generally) are bred to get married early and have their families. I recently got married (April) at a later age than most women down here (34). I have always been a free spirit and wondered if marriage was a good idea for me. I am not traditional, I am not family oriented like most women down here and like the idea of a nontraditional marriage.

I am childless by choice (which some Southerners would say is a grave sin, because you;re supposed to "be fruitful and multiply" which I say is taken out of context most of the time) and prefer animals. Right now I have 2 dogs (both are DHs but he told me that the small Chiweenie is mine) a 2 month old kitten, 2 Chinese dwarf hamsters, a Betta fish, some Danio fish, an African dwarf frog, and a hermit crab.

Im also New Age-y. I have never cared for the Christian conservative culture around here. The closest I have found to home is Virginia Beach which houses the ARE center founded by Edgar Cayce but that is a different story. Im mostly interested in Eastern religions. ie Buddhism.

Lastly I am a feminist and old school feminist like the movement that stated that women should pursue careers. I am totally that way. I think women need to focus on careers. I think careers csn be extremely fulfilling. I also think women should stop thinking they can have it all. If they want to be mothers, then fine. If they want to be career women, great too. But I think they need to focus on on ething because you don't get everything you want all at one time.

Generally in the South men get the door for women and my Dh does so but I kind of like the idea of getting my own door being a feminist and all.

In the past I've been told my personality is somewhat brusque. I think I have toned it down quite a bit, but am far from being your typical Southern belle. So what do I like about the South? The food is great and the architecture...but the culture I could do without. And the fact that we have two temperatires, hot and hotter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,006,504 times
Because that is what they see on TV.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM

19 posts, read 64,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I'm not the typical Southern woman by a long shot. I'm actually quite eccentric. I was born and raised in Georgia and have never left this area to live elsewhere, I do have a few cousins living in the Midwest, but I act nothing like the "typical" SOuthern woman.

Women in the South (generally) are bred to get married early and have their families. I recently got married (April) at a later age than most women down here (34). I have always been a free spirit and wondered if marriage was a good idea for me. I am not traditional, I am not family oriented like most women down here and like the idea of a nontraditional marriage.

I am childless by choice (which some Southerners would say is a grave sin, because you;re supposed to "be fruitful and multiply" which I say is taken out of context most of the time) and prefer animals. Right now I have 2 dogs (both are DHs but he told me that the small Chiweenie is mine) a 2 month old kitten, 2 Chinese dwarf hamsters, a Betta fish, some Danio fish, an African dwarf frog, and a hermit crab.

Im also New Age-y. I have never cared for the Christian conservative culture around here. The closest I have found to home is Virginia Beach which houses the ARE center founded by Edgar Cayce but that is a different story. Im mostly interested in Eastern religions. ie Buddhism.

Lastly I am a feminist and old school feminist like the movement that stated that women should pursue careers. I am totally that way. I think women need to focus on careers. I think careers csn be extremely fulfilling. I also think women should stop thinking they can have it all. If they want to be mothers, then fine. If they want to be career women, great too. But I think they need to focus on on ething because you don't get everything you want all at one time.

Generally in the South men get the door for women and my Dh does so but I kind of like the idea of getting my own door being a feminist and all.

In the past I've been told my personality is somewhat brusque. I think I have toned it down quite a bit, but am far from being your typical Southern belle. So what do I like about the South? The food is great and the architecture...but the culture I could do without. And the fact that we have two temperatires, hot and hotter.
Quote:
Why do people generally stereotype Southern women as docile and submissive

The thing about stereotypes, they can sometimes live FOREVER! Or so it seems. Even if a majority no longer follow a stereotype...stereotypes seem to die a very long, slow, drown out death.

I am from the suburbs of a large midwest town, travelled to severl different continents, and now I find myself in rural Mississippi. I am definitely not a Southern Belle..but I have toned down some of my abrupt languange some (but that might also be me maturing). Overall, I like that fact that the stereotype about southern woman is still a live and well...it makes typical southern social settings more fun when my midwest antics appear out of nowhere and I get to see the shock on their faces

Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
I think another stereotype of southern women, that of trashy, loud-mouthed, trash-talking, trailer-park dwelling hillbillies is really more common these days. Shows like Jerry Springer certainly do not help. The old 'Southern Belle' stereotype seems sort of outdated, although there still is the stereotype of Southern women being really conservative, traditional, big hair, visit the beauty parlour a lot, loves cooking, baking, housework, look like Dolly Parton although that too is partly generational.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,138,946 times
I think the stereotype still holds true in the RURAL south. A good piece of evidence might be if you (OP) read your own post. You basically back it up, stating that you are "not the norm", and how everyone expects you to be docile and submissive (make babies, let the guy get the door, etc...). So while it may not apply to everyone, the STEREOTYPE has some validity.

My creds: Living in NC since 1977. Time split between big cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond) and some VERY VERY rural areas.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM

791 posts, read 1,421,164 times
from the television show, "My name is Earl"...the woman named Joy is the REAL southern woman...very brash and always writes a check that her ass cant cash....these women exist everywhere down here and shop at wal-mart full time

Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthere View Post
from the television show, "My name is Earl"...the woman named Joy is the REAL southern woman...very brash and always writes a check that her ass cant cash....these women exist everywhere down here and shop at wal-mart full time
I was thinking of her. She is pretty easy on the eyes, and I actually like her accent, but she certainly wouldn't be an easy woman to live with! lol

Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,767,822 times
If I were to stereotype southern women I would say they are a large in stature size 16 and up, big hair, lots of make up, fake nails, tan skin and lots of "bling" and very friendly. I love southern women. They seem so comfortable in their skin. Wouldnt say they are shy or submissive.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 AM

791 posts, read 1,421,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was thinking of her. She is pretty easy on the eyes, and I actually like her accent, but she certainly wouldn't be an easy woman to live with! lol
the woman is drop dead gorgeous...but crabman has been boring that out...cant touch it

Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I think the stereotype still holds true in the RURAL south. A good piece of evidence might be if you (OP) read your own post. You basically back it up, stating that you are "not the norm", and how everyone expects you to be docile and submissive (make babies, let the guy get the door, etc...). So while it may not apply to everyone, the STEREOTYPE has some validity.

My creds: Living in NC since 1977. Time split between big cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond) and some VERY VERY rural areas.
Shucks. Nothing you wrote here even remotely applies to my experience. Southern women to me are pretty strong-willed bunch. They might be more subtle than their counterparts elsewhere, but if you make one mad, just start driving until you run out of gas and then start hitchhiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships