Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:03 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

CaAriz, I know just what you mean. My Dad is in the middle stages of Alzheimers, and while it is sad not to be able to relate to him about matters in the present, I have been pleasantly surprised by what I am learning about him now that he is opening up. He was always very private and never talked about his past or his feelings, but now he is unguarded. Even when he gets angry and frustrated, I feel like I learn something about him. I am really getting to know my dad for the first time in a lot of ways. It is a true gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
zentropa...Thanks for your post. I'm glad that you have a chance to learn more about your Dad and his past too...It's hard to live with a parent who tends to be "closed" so much of the time. (When we're "hungry" and curious to know more about them.)

Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Sounds like a real drag. If you've tried to talk to him and he still does it, just limit your contact with him. Why if you are in your early 20's hanging out with a dude in his 50's.... seems like a pretty big age gap anyways, might not have much in common anyways....

Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
I'd just like to say to the person who used the Rating website to call me "sad" and "lonely" as a result of my comments on this forum: Get stuffed.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I'd just like to say to the person who used the Rating website to call me "sad" and "lonely" as a result of my comments on this forum: Get stuffed.
Must be the same person who told me I had "many regrets" and "feel guilty". LOL Nothing could be further from the truth, although I do...once in a GREAT while...think about 'some' of my regrets. I bet they didn't leave their name for you either.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Must be the same person who told me I had "many regrets" and "feel guilty". LOL Nothing could be further from the truth, although I do...once in a GREAT while...think about 'some' of my regrets. I bet they didn't leave their name for you either.
Don't be silly

I don't believe in regrets. After all, you can't do anything about the past - just make sure you don't make the same mistakes in the future .

Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Don't be silly

I don't believe in regrets. After all, you can't do anything about the past - just make sure you don't make the same mistakes in the future .
I don't believe in them either, really. I'm nearly 70 years old so I doubt VERY much I would EVER make any of my previous mistakes.

My life is actually very good, quiet, peaceful and happy. I've even managed to keep my sense of humor!!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM

51 posts, read 124,366 times
I have a friend who does the same thing. He's in his early 30s and our high school yearbooks come out almost every time I'm at his house and he recounts the same stories, most of which I was there for the first time they happened! I think for some people high school/childhood was the best time of their life and they can't move beyond it.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
There is nothing wrong with reflecting on your past. Your childhood and teenage years are not called your "formative years" for no reason. The first things we see and experience and the unique environments where these things take place have a great bearing on what type of adults we become. Whether you realize it or not, the child you were helped make you the young adult you are today.

In our culture, childhood nostalgia holds a great importance because the world is constantly changing around us. For my generation of 80's babies, we cling to retro images of old school Nintendo games, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, old school Nike shoes from the 80's and early 90's like Air Jordans and Reebok Pumps, Ducktales, Ninja Turtles etc. We hold these things near and dear because they take us back to a time when most of us had no worries or responsibilities. As children, we were the adored center of attention. Our parents and teachers told us we were special. Fast forward to 2012 and over half of recent college grads can't get jobs and youth unemployment is sky high worldwide. Now do you understand why we long so much for the past?

Childhood nostalgia and the storytelling that comes along with it is central even to popular culture today. Millionaire rappers Jay-Z and Nas made fortunes rhyming about their childhood experiences in crack-ravaged New York City ghettos on their critically acclaimed classic debut albums. To this day, Nas and Jay-Z are 40-ish older men who won't shut up about growing up in New York City public housing in the 80's. Yet, people all around the world hang on every word uttered by these aging 40 year old Yankee hat wearing guys who moved out of the ghetto eons ago. This shows you that what goes on in your formative years is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships