Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:12 PM

38 posts, read 51,207 times

Advertisements

You have a summer off. Don't stick with one genre.
However, if you do and that genre is that of comedy, try some shows you may not have seen before.

Maybe shows from across the pond or up-north across the border. Maybe older shows, as well as contemporary.

The main question you have to ask yourself is whether you are looking to expanding your own self, or are you looking to make an impression on others? This could influence what type of 'input' you receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Funny people aren't afraid to go out on a limb or embarrass themselves, they laugh at their own weaknesses.

Watching those shows may help you lighten up, imitation might cause more awkwardness socially if your selfconcious.

When your selfconscious, constantly worring about someone elses approval,, you're not relaxed and spontanious. Always feeling like an outsider and never happy.

I think you have issues of social anxiety. Agree with a previous posters suggestion of improv classes.

Last edited by virgode; 07-14-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 09:24 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Most comedy bores me to tears, as I have a very dark, ironic, subtle sense of humor, and the light-hearted comedy only leaves me frustrated and angry.

Dark humor films are far inbetween, which I understand, because it only caters to a minority of people.
But give me an old Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton silent film and I'm roiling with laughter. Or an Andy Warhol film.

It may just be you have a dark sense of humor which flies over the heads of potential receivers, or you've tested it out, and they weren't accepting of it, and it left you embarrassed.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
The most likeable people are those that listen well. They know when to nod, agree, smile and frown. They don't TRY to be funny. They let others carry the ball and just add to the general conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships