Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Popularity in HS? Wow. It still concerns Americans as adults. In Europe, it's refreshing that it's less of an issue because, with high schools crammed into urban centers, there are no jocks, no cheerleaders, no homecoming court, no yearbooks, and no reunions, so they marvel when I tell them about the factions of Americana.

I was not in the popular crowd. I wasn't a jock. I didn't do drugs or smoke. I didn't surf (don't like sharks). I wasn't in the artsy crowd. But I was a good student and a smart ass, though it rarely got me in trouble. However, enter Facebook. These factions within my HS are still "interwoven" all these years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Sad truth is that most of those really "cool" popular people have already lived the best four years of thier life.......
Well of course! Having the kind of social network that the popular kids had in HS made life much easier I am sure. It is like tryng to get that job everyone wants at the mall, and because you know so ans so, they hook you up with that o-so-sought-after-job. Or maybe you go to every HS dance because you have enough of a social network, there is always someone to ask or be asked to that you are comfortable enough with.

I wasn't one of the popular kids in HS. I was one of those kids that was in denial about it, but I was probably much more considered a nerd.

I did have friends in HS, and the funny thing is, I am STILL friends with the people I spend the most of my time with in HS.

Over the years, going to a bigger university, and meeting people after HS and college, I learned. I was exposed to some people who were unpopular, and also some people who were popular. There is a lot of agnst on both sides agaisnt the other, mostly because of ignorance.
I leanred that these popular kids had the time of their life in HS, because really, any social network that large at any age will probably bring you the best time of your life. The majority of the time, groups like that only exist in HS and maybe college, especailly if you go greek.
The problem with people that never get past the HS years, is mostly because they can't cope with the real world, and as someone already mentioned, it turns out they are quite normal in the grand scheme of things.
Some people grow up and adapt, some people spend the rest of their lives reminiscing about the HS years cause they never changed and realized that a pretty face, convertible car, or mommy and daddy's money only 'usually' get you so far. There are of course exceptions...

Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Sad truth is that most of those really "cool" popular people have already lived the best four years of thier life.......
This is sad. I have met up with people that I once knew in HS. The captain of our drill team - very popular girl, still reveled in her time as captain after 20+ years. This had been the high-point of her life.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
How could not being popular in high school be some kind of badge of honor? Seems ridiculous.. I get that some folks get a rush out of bragging about their popularity and that seems silly but no more absurd than bragging about your unpopularity? I guess I simply do not get it! >?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
I was not in the popular crowd. I wasn't a jock. I didn't do drugs or smoke. I didn't surf (don't like sharks). I wasn't in the artsy crowd. But I was a good student and a smart ass, though it rarely got me in trouble. However, enter Facebook. These factions within my HS are still "interwoven" all these years later
For awhile I would peruse my HS' facebook group. I don't recognize those people..names sound familiar, the pix dont. When i did post stuff I was more or less ignored, just as I was ignored in HS. Nothing really to add to their converstations. So I dont visit that page much anymore.

I wasn't popular nor was I very unpopular.......like most people I guess. Never part of a true clique, more on the fringes of things, more of a loner. I had maybe three 'close' freinds, and a few more aquiantances, and lost touch with them all over the years. No loss. Memories of my HS days: "OK"...could have been worse...but OK, and thats good enough.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
For awhile I would peruse my HS' facebook group. I don't recognize those people..names sound familiar, the pix dont. When i did post stuff I was more or less ignored, just as I was ignored in HS. Nothing really to add to their converstations. So I dont visit that page much anymore.

I wasn't popular nor was I very unpopular.......like most people I guess. Never part of a true clique, more on the fringes of things, more of a loner. I had maybe three 'close' freinds, and a few more aquiantances, and lost touch with them all over the years. No loss. Memories of my HS days: "OK"...could have been worse...but OK, and thats good enough.
Even funnier is the HTW factor. Translation: hit the wall. That is, a lot of these people who looked great in HS look anything but.

I went to 2 different Catholic HSs. I wound up retaining friends from HS #1, even though I couldn't stand that HS, and friends from Catholic grade school who went to the local public HS. At this point, I have more contact with people from the local public HS from my neighborhood, much more laid-back, than I do with those from Catholic school. But, Mom and Dad insisted on wasting their money ...

Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 AM

426 posts, read 558,902 times
Love that song by Toby Keith, How do u like me now.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
I don't talk to people about when i was at school, i can't imagine why anyone would care...

Would anyone here care whether i was bullied or happy 24 years ago at school? Probably not.
Would any of my friends care if i called them and told them i was bullied at school or had a great time at school? Nope.
My family would go "Aaaaah, how mean" or "That's good" and carry on doing whatever they were doing.

I don't think about school probably more that a couple of times a year. It has no relevance to my life, and i would imagine not to many other peoples lives either.

Being bullied is a terrible thing and i am in no way belittling it but why mention it to people? I dunno...

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
#83 Bad Memories of High School « Stuff White People Like

Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Stuff White People Like and Stuff Black People Like are a HOOT! The funny thing is that they're mostly true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships