U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM

242 posts, read 169,843 times
Interesting, almost all of my neighbors speak to me regularly, but....I do grow some of the best tasting tomatos you have ever eaten!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 PM

262 posts, read 214,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That would never go over in my office. I live/work in the NY/NJ metro area, and you HAVE to learn to get along or won't survive. I have all different kinds of Christians--Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Catholic, Baptist, Episcopal--Jews of varying degrees of orthodoxy, Hindus, a Jain, a Muslim, and a bunch of atheists in my office, and some I don't even know what they do or don't believe. You don't step on someone else's beliefs or bring it up unless they do. After you get to know people, you do become aware, like we all yell Happy New Year when the Jews are leaving early on Rosh Hashanah or Have a Sweet and Kosher Passover on Passover or ask what Ganesha represents and why the Hindus have a picture of him taped in their cubicles. And we know that the Orthodox Christians are going to take off for their own Good Friday because their calendar is different. Or that the Muslim isn't eating during Ramadan. It makes life more interesting to be accepting, and you learn things that way.

that was beautifully written. We need more of that please. We can all learn to get along and coexist in a kinder world when we have leaders that do not operate on divisiveness and pit us all against each other.

Last edited by coldPlay; 07-21-2012 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: finished sentence

Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 AM

6,266 posts, read 4,108,938 times
Someone in the fashion thread got offended because I asked a question
"Is it more economical for a woman to get plastic surgery instead of a degree?"

People on these boards are pretty sensitive.
Someone got offended because I said Kia's are POS.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 AM

6,266 posts, read 4,108,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
saying hi in new york city.
the guy said you know me
and i said you seroius we going too fight cause i said hello.

i stop talking to stranger in new york, however in geogia or south carolina i say hi all the time and the people say hi back
On the flip side,when I was in Nc some people got offended because I didn't say hi or look them in the eyes.
I am from the Nyc area and didn't know that was the norm down there.
I was never taught to say Hi to everyone whose eyes meet yours or some stranger walking past.
Culture shock I guess.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 AM

101 posts, read 109,312 times
My sister and boyfriend cooked dinner at his apartment and invited me over. I can't remember what the main dish was but it was done and there was broccoli w/ cheese you put in the microwave that was done and the macaroni wasn't done cooking. I just said I'll eat now and eat the macaroni when its done. So my sister put some broccoli w/cheese on my plate. Her boyfriend says theres rice broccoli w/cheese in the freezer you should heat it up. So he left to go in another room and my sister ate the rest of the broccoli w/ cheese. He comes in and gets all mad saying that we never think about what he wants. And storms off into the other room. Just because my sister ate the rest of the broccoli w/ cheese. I don't understand why it was such a big deal because he said there rice w/ broccoli and cheese. It's basically the same thing. He gets upset about a lot of stuff. I couldn't deal with anyone like that.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 AM

101 posts, read 109,312 times
Here's another story of him. We are all in my sisters room and I'm talking to her. She had lost some of weight and said when she gets to a certain size she is going to post a video on youtube about her weight lost. He looks at her and says really in a anger way and storms off. I don't know whats wrong with this dude.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM

668 posts, read 532,721 times
When I have occasion to speak sharply to a misbehaving kid, the "attending" parent invariably become offended.
I'm offended that their contraception failed.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM

7,546 posts, read 8,497,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I seriously can't stand it when people don't RSVP.

It's snotty and inconsiderate.
Even for a Tupperware party? That's the kind of party I was talking about. For a real party I most certainly would RSVP. These people don't care about you--they want to sell something.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 PM

27,364 posts, read 20,716,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When I was in NY I was in the subway and there was a guy who was sitting on a seat listening to his ipod, there's a spare seat next to him but his leg is half covering it. I ask him, 'can I sit there?' I thought he nodded or murmured yes...anyway I sit down and sort of have to nudge him out of the way and he goes off at me, saying I should've asked at first blah blah. I say I did ask and I thought you said yes, and I'm sorry if I was mistaken..but he goes on about how out of place I was. It seems that thing happens more in the US.
Well, in New York and especially on the subway, you never know what you're going to get.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 AM

7,007 posts, read 8,924,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Tell someone who loves Twilight that it's garbage.
This really offends me

People who get offended because you want to do something different on a night out. For example, girls night out, dancing, drinks, movies, or chill at someone's house? To me as long as we are together, I don't care. Others? Get very offended if you don't do what THEY want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships