Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I assume some of you saw and commented on the post about my MIL and living with us and that whole mess. Again, I appreciate all of the comments and support and things have been a whole lot better and I'm happy it's almost August and we can be done with this soon.

I mentioned in the last thread that MIL finally got a job, but then quit after 3 weeks because the boss lady was irritating and the work was laborious. OK, I understand. As far as I know she's been actively looking for something else. In the meantime, she's been cooking these Peuto Rican things and she sells them to her church people and some people in our complex for a set price. This has been going on two weeks now. I'm waiting for the electric bill which I have been keeping under control, but I'm afraid it's going to be significantly higher with the stove, the fan and the AC running for the cooking. Since it is the hottest time of the year, I anticipate it to be somewhat higher and I have averages from last year. When she first moved in, she was to pay a set price for rent and that was to include bills, which I pay. Would I be breaching this "contract" if I ask for a few dollars $10-20 depending on how much the bill actually comes out to be? It's not SO much about the money, I just want her to know that her activity is an extra expense and I don't want to pay for it. My concern is that it will be seen as unfair since her costs are set.

Here is a link to the old thread.

In-Law Situation
This might be a little to blunt! Dude, you're banging her daughter, someone she raised from a baby to an adult, and you worry about the extra $10-20 per month? Seriously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
This might be a little to blunt! Dude, you're banging her daughter, someone she raised from a baby to an adult, and you worry about the extra $10-20 per month? Seriously!
You obviously didn't read the other post....and I don't think you even read this one in it's entirety, the part where I mention that it is more about common courtesy (not only about this but about 100 other things) than the money.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
From reading your posts it is obvious that your girl friend's mother doesn't "see" a lot of things that others would notice. I would show her the bills that indicate how much higher everything is from last year (or before she started doing the cooking). Now, paying the extra money is a little trickier. IF she is saving up to move out then maybe you should let it go. But, she should know that it is causing the bills to go up. If the bills have gone up a lot she may need to charge more for her food and give you an additional payment.

IMHO the "banging her daughter" comment was rude and inappropriate. You have gone out of your way to be helpful to her and it has been very difficult for both you and your GF. You should be thanked instead of being harassed.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Agh! MIL got another job and quit on the first day! It wasn't for her she says. I told my GF that I don't think she wants to work and I also told her that due to the cooking if the bill is outrageous this month, I'm going to ask for some $$ to cover the overage. It's never going to end.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
I wouldn't let it happen in the first place but since it has...

get the last years bills together
estimate your average
make her pay the difference.
If she can't/won't, tell her she can no longer use your premises to run her little cash business...because that's what it is. Mention the health department and the tax department...she'll quit straight away.
Consider the cost of the power bill to be the price of a lesson in dumb, for you.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I wouldn't let it happen in the first place but since it has...

get the last years bills together
estimate your average
make her pay the difference.
If she can't/won't, tell her she can no longer use your premises to run her little cash business...because that's what it is. Mention the health department and the tax department...she'll quit straight away.
Consider the cost of the power bill to be the price of a lesson in dumb, for you.
Yeah yeah Thanks. I didn't even know it was going on until a week into this whole operation. I'm going to get our averages from the last months, take the difference, divide by 3 and that third is hers. If she's not working, she's sitting home all day running the A/C and the TV so she can start compensating for the increase.

If this whole operation gets larger, I'm going to have to tell her to quit it until she gets her own place.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Yeah yeah Thanks. I didn't even know it was going on until a week into this whole operation. I'm going to get our averages from the last months, take the difference, divide by 3 and that third is hers. If she's not working, she's sitting home all day running the A/C and the TV so she can start compensating for the increase.

If this whole operation gets larger, I'm going to have to tell her to quit it until she gets her own place.
You know she's breaking the law right?

If someone got sick from her creations you could end up paying for it with oh...say.... your HOUSE!

Pull the pin on her. Today...seriously gurl.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:57 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Kate, aside from the electric bill, you need to consider that what MIL is doing is going to get you in hot water with the condo board (HOA), if any, and/or with the town/state for selling food without a license. there could be some serious fines. So while you wait for the electric bill, check that out.

And, since she quit a 2nd job, I think it's time to have the talk of splitting bills evenly. Whether a job is "for her" or not, she needs to begin supporting herself or your GF needs to support her own mother. I'd hand her the want ads, show her the sign in front of MickyD's and say - GET A JOB!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
I may have missed this, but why isn't your girlfriend handling this? Does she support you in this at all? What's her take on it? Why are you "the bad guy"?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
You know she's breaking the law right?

If someone got sick from her creations you could end up paying for it with oh...say.... your HOUSE!

Pull the pin on her. Today...seriously gurl.
Yes, I know this, however, she's been doing it for some time back in NY. I already told her that she can't do it on a big scale because then she would need licenses and all that stuff. I used to work in food service so I know a little about this stuff. Right now we're talking like $40-60 per order for a few people that my GF works with and some people at her church.

We rent and she is on the lease, so I'm not afraid that they are going to come after me in any way. Can't I just say she's an adult, it's not my problem or I didn't know. Better yet they kick us out and she'll have to get her own place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships