Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Hoosier, I am so very sorry your family is going through this very painful time. I hope there is a change before its too late. I can tell you that the death of a parent is a very painful thing to go through. The fact that they have been ill beforehand, didn't make it easier in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Alcoholism and drugs are a medical illness . The person needs Medical attention. If they ignored it for 50 years that was their choice. Truth is reality.

sunny/dream

Old 11-17-2007, 11:34 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Hoosier --- you can't change your parents, but do take care of yourself. I don't spend the holidays with my family either. I'm not trying to show anybody anything or get anyone to change. I do it for myself.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:00 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I come from a family of alcoholics. My mother drank to mask the symptoms of her schizophrenia, with only limited success, of course. She was murdered on Thanksgiving night in 1987, but she had already lost a lobe of her lung to cancer, and she never did quit smoking.

My father is still alive at almost 75, but a few years ago he took one of my stepmom's sleeping pills after he had been drinking, and he passed out and split his head open. He's still drinking, because when I was there visting a month ago, he had hidden a bottle of wine in the refrigerator. I know that he's not about to stop. He smokes as well, and that's also a habit/addiction that he's going to continue until the day he dies.

I'm grateful that my father lives across the country in Florida, and I only see him once every few years. I had enough of living with substance abuse when I was growing up, and it wasn't at all pretty. If that makes me cold and heartless, so be it. I do love him, but I can't stand to be around him and watch him slowly self-destruct.

Hoosier, I'm sorry that you're going through this. Take care of yourself, your wife, and your kids. They deserve your attention much more than your parents do.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:29 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Hoosier,

As I was making plans to have my family over for Thanksgiving, I thought about you and your family and wondered if you will be seeing them.
Sadly, no we won't be getting together. There was a big blow-up late last month and both my brother and I have ceased all communication with our parents. It goes beyond the drinking and smoking, but they're definitely factors. Thank you to everyone and your heartfelt comments I truly appreciate them! And yes, I will be taking care of my wife and kids first and foremost.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
I'm very sorry.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Hoosier, you are in my thoughts...I'm wishing you all resolve...and sending a lot of positive thougthts your way.

Hugs
Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships