Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM

132 posts, read 304,606 times

Advertisements

You can make ma'am age-neutral by calling everyone ma'am, at least here in the US. That's what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM

If ma'am is a term of respect for a woman, shouldn't it apply to every women whatever her age? Don't women your own age deserve respect as well?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM

I hate being carded! I'm so far past 21 it isn't funny, but in some places where youngsters go they want to card people who have full heads of gray hair and it's stupid. I'm fairly certain there aren't many 18 year old who happen to look 50.

Not being carded feels good. It feels like I have arrived, I am an adult. It's crazy in the youth obsessed society where if a woman doesn't look like she's in her 20s she's already considered old. Looking like a woman and not a child does not mean you are old!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle92 View Post
I hate being carded! I'm so far past 21 it isn't funny, but in some places where youngsters go they want to card people who have full heads of gray hair and it's stupid. I'm fairly certain there aren't many 18 year old who happen to look 50.

Not being carded feels good. It feels like I have arrived, I am an adult. It's crazy in the youth obsessed society where if a woman doesn't look like she's in her 20s she's already considered old. Looking like a woman and not a child does not mean you are old!
They do it because it's required by law. If they let someone off and someone happened to rat them out to the law the establishment could lose it's liquor licence, which would be disastrous if it was a bar.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle92 View Post
You can make ma'am age-neutral by calling everyone ma'am, at least here in the US. That's what I do.
Absolutely. It isn't meant to show respect for age, just the person. I've called little girls "ma'am" just to teach them manners. And I know it's not 100% relevant to the topic; but I must say I worked directly with one of the head honchos at my job today and I never once called him "Sir".

...See? "Ma'am" and "Sir" are all about how much respect you have for a person

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 PM

191 posts, read 242,551 times
I just don't like it, never have and never will. I was doing a live chat with my cable co. and the rep kept answering each question with ma'am and it irked me because it was unnecessary. It's especially annoying when someone who is clearly older than you calls you 'ma'am'. I see it this way,you can call me by my name, Miss, or don't call me at all....just don't call me 'ma'am'.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
Growing up in the south, NOT using ma'am, sir, Mr or Mrs. especially as a child would get you in trouble, esp in school.

Additionally, it's not uncommon to address older women as Ms (first name)

Last edited by Gil3; 10-04-2012 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
If you're never going to be standing in the shoes of a woman dealing with society's ageist attitudes, maybe there is no BFD. To you, that is.

I admire the elegant ways of countries in Europe. They address their mature women with titles like "Madame" "Senora" "Senorigna" The terms sound respectful AND flattering, and romantic! I had the "ma'am" term tossed as me as the speaker were annoyed he or she had to deal with me. A lot of people say the term is respectful, but it is not said with a respectful tone.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
If you're never going to be standing in the shoes of a woman dealing with society's ageist attitudes, maybe there is no BFD. To you, that is.

I admire the elegant ways of countries in Europe. They address their mature women with titles like "Madame" "Senora" "Senorigna" The terms sound respectful AND flattering, and romantic! I had the "ma'am" term tossed as me as the speaker were annoyed he or she had to deal with me. A lot of people say the term is respectful, but it is not said with a respectful tone.
Probably because the service person is told to say ma'am but is paid almost nothing and has no incentive to be real nice to you. So it comes out kind of wrong. But generally I was raised as a gentlemen and use the term for older ladies quite a lot. I have had mostly good responses but some ladies sort of giggle I'm making them feel old, but not in a terrible way.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Probably because the service person is told to say ma'am but is paid almost nothing and has no incentive to be real nice to you. So it comes out kind of wrong. But generally I was raised as a gentlemen and use the term for older ladies quite a lot. I have had mostly good responses but some ladies sort of giggle I'm making them feel old, but not in a terrible way.
I get what you're saying, but what kind of world do we live in when people stop doing good for the inherent value of doing good? I'm polite and respectful to people and no one pays me to do it. I was raised to think and act this way. And I like what I project when I am polite and respectful, even when I don't receive that in response at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships