Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times

Advertisements

I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I do it on a subconscious level, I don't really think about it, but I was raised to address women I don't know as either "miss" or "ma'am." If I almost bump into a lady when I'm walking I'll say "Oh, pardon me ma'am." If I'm finishing a phone call with a woman I'll usually end it with "Thank you ma'am, have a good day." I've never gotten a bad reaction from it (I don't think so at least) but I've read a few anecdotes from men about getting bad looks or even being told not to address someone as "ma'am."

So what's the BFD? Why do some take offense to being shown respect?
Must be a regional thing - and you are in yankee territory

Old 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
It's an age thing, in my opinion. I once called a younger woman in France "Madame" ("Mademoiselle would have been correct) and she let me know in no uncertain terms this was NOT right. I was dutifully ashamed).

Men are generally called "sir" from the time they are teenagers in service-type situations, so perhaps you don't understand the sensitivities involved? There should be an all-purpose, ageless term but there isn't. I've been in the service industry for a while and try to avoid using "Ma'am" or "Miss" when possible. It requires more attention but it's possible.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
It makes us feel OLD! That being said - I've never been offended by it and would never make a big deal out of it - but it does make you feel old...

Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,368 times
I don't mind it; my military friends say that to me all the time.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM

36,482 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It's an age thing, in my opinion. I once called a younger woman in France "Madame" ("Mademoiselle would have been correct) and she let me know in no uncertain terms this was NOT right. I was dutifully ashamed).

Men are generally called "sir" from the time they are teenagers in service-type situations, so perhaps you don't understand the sensitivities involved? There should be an all-purpose, ageless term but there isn't. I've been in the service industry for a while and try to avoid using "Ma'am" or "Miss" when possible. It requires more attention but it's possible.

I think thats it. When I was young I didnt really like being called Ma'am by young people. Now I call everyone Ma'am or Sir and dont think anything of it and it dosent bother me to be called Ma'am. I have also known men that didnt like being called Sir or Mr. They would say Sir or Mr.______ is my father.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 AM

400 posts, read 566,008 times
When my husband says "yes ma'am" it usually means get off my case. I get a little irked by it. I don't mind if any stranger calls me ma'am or miss.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM

102,180 posts, read 107,754,292 times
To some women, especially single women, when men start calling them ma'am, it signals that they're not longer viewed as young, but that they've transitioned into some nebulous category that sounds slightly dowdy and old.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It makes us feel OLD! That being said - I've never been offended by it and would never make a big deal out of it - but it does make you feel old...
Just makes me feel respected

Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
To some women, especially single women, when men start calling them ma'am, it signals that they're not longer viewed as young, but that they've transitioned into some nebulous category that sounds slightly dowdy and old.
in a nutshell^^^

married or not, you only get called ma'am if you are older. not many woman likes to be reminded that they are seen as older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships