Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times

Advertisements

Sure...I've been back.....and I've never rudely ignored someone asking if I needed anything. I don't understand the point of doing this.

I do business with my old employer and left on friendly terms on the jobs before that so still know people there. It is weird sometimes to see someone else sitting at your desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,487 times
Default I have...

After being gone for about 8 years, I went back to an old office to visit a friend who had lost her brother and daughter w/in 3 months of each other. A very sad situation. It was the oddest thing...I waited for her in the lunch room and one-by-one every co-worker I ever had at that place either paraded through and 'oogled' me or sat down to see if I had grown a third arm... it was kind of enjoyable though.
Koale

Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Recently I have been having dreams (and nightmares) about old work places from my past. For years I dreamed about the office I sat in for six years in my first job out of college in Tallahassee Fl. After 15 years of being gone from Tallahassee I drove 50 miles out of my way to return to the City Hall in Tallahassee to see my old workplace and try to understand why I was dreaming about visiting the City Hall so much.

How about you, any interest in seeing old work places?

Funny, I just lost my job at City Hall after 21 years. And I can't see myself stepping foot in there ever again. Every time I've been by it I find myself diverting my eyes to avoid looking at it. At the same time I'd kinda' like to go back within 6 months to see the changes, but as a fly on a wall.

The only ex-job I ever entered was a restaurant. Haven't had any curiosity for the rest of them.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,081 times
no.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,044 times
Nope..Abosolutely no need to. Some former workplaces have bad memories and walking back into a place will simply dredge them up. Now I have a few friendships that I formed during those times and they no longer work there either.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM

442 posts, read 614,986 times
I really don't have any sentimental feelings toward my previous workplace.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but some places prefer you not "visit" after you've left, and will often have policies discouraging you from doing so.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,101 times
I've visited if I've still had friends working there, but only to meet my friends. The exception being a fast food place I worked in high school. I rarely eat fast food now, but when I did, I used to go back there because it was convenient. Also worked at a grocery store. I don't live in that city any more, but if I lived nearby, I'd still go there for convenience.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
Only once. A former store I had worked at. I normally didnt shop there but it was on the way to another place I had to go to. I walked around and was a bit surprised at how many people remembered me. I thought it was kind of sweet. Some of them I didnt even know that well. As I walked around I saw a manager I had worked closely with. I walked up and said hello to her. She stared at me like I was an alien and said. ummm..ya..hello. Then she went on with her duties. It was very awkward. I thought it was odd that the people that went out of their way to say hello were people I didnt work with that closely and the one person that did acted like she didnt know me. I really dont have a desire to visit old work places. I also dont think most people like when an ex employee comes in for a visit. Kind of a reminder that they got out but you didnt.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Once. I went back to the company I worked for in Atlanta while on a FL/ATL vacation. The ladies who did the clerical work in our department, all Southern, and both white and black, all hugged me. They thought I was funny.

All the other people seemed happy to see me. It was an interesting mix of Southerners, Northeasterners, Floridians (including a few Cubans with great accents), and a small dose of Midwesterners and Westerners.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Somebody flew a jet airliner into my old workplace and destroyed it.

I've been back to the place where it once stood, though, to work on rebuilding the surrounding area and then to train to give tours on the memorial that is now in its place. And in a couple of years, I will return to work in one of the new buildings that is now under construction there.

It won't be the same as the place that's in my memory, but life will go on there once again. And I still have dreams of being in the old building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships