Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 PM

607 posts, read 1,388,784 times

Advertisements

Yes, but not to reminance about it. It was a restaurant, so I just went to eat there. Could care a less that I used to work there. It's just a good restaurant and I like to eat there occasionally. Nothing more, nothing less.

Another former employer shut down. Yet another employer laid me off, so I have no desire to go back and visit. It brings back bad memories anyways. I don't even like to drive past the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:57 PM

604 posts, read 852,354 times
Never. I still see friends from old jobs, we just meet up someplace else. Another friend who retired from the place I left a few months ago still goes back to see everybody. Good for her, but it's just not my thing. I'm not much for nostalgia or reminiscing, though. "Ever forward" is my motto.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,767,664 times
I used to do that. I was very nostalgic until I moved on to something better. Now the nostalgia has died down to nice memories but no more yearning to visit again. Maybe that's what's going on with you. You may want some part of that old experience and as soon as you get what you're looking for in your present life your nostalgia will go away.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 AM

101 posts, read 352,365 times
I think seeing old employers can remind us of simplier times when we worked at places where there was hope and income was steady and the recession did not make everyone at work so competitive.

I recently went back to a place I worked in the late 1990s and the world from that era came back to me. Things were so good for many of us in corporate America in 1998 with full employment. I looked into my old office and wondered if I ever thought I would return 14 years later and things would be so tough and America would be in such a mess. To me returning to an old employer is like looking at an old picture from a happy time in the past.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:31 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,081,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
I think seeing old employers can remind us of simplier times when we worked at places where there was hope and income was steady and the recession did not make everyone at work so competitive.

I recently went back to a place I worked in the late 1990s and the world from that era came back to me. Things were so good for many of us in corporate America in 1998 with full employment. I looked into my old office and wondered if I ever thought I would return 14 years later and things would be so tough and America would be in such a mess. To me returning to an old employer is like looking at an old picture from a happy time in the past.
This exactly how I feel. I did well in the 90's. Really well. I moved up in my career quickly and with that came financial rewards. I bought my first house in 96, sold it a few years later for an outrageous amount and bought an even nicer home in a nicer neighborhood. I had 2 new cars, a nice savings account and so on. It all ended in 2001. A month before my 30th birthday. I figured by the time I was the age I am now, I would have my home paid off. I never thought that I would have to sell, move to a crappy neighborhood and bounce from one crappy job to another. It really turned my world upside down. My line of work was the first impacted by the economy so many around me were still doing well and just couldnt understand why my career went into the crapper. Or why I had to leave my home state. I am now getting back on track but I always have that feeling when is the other shoe going to drop. The workplace now is very cut throat. Its not how it used to be. Now most people I know are struggling, the economy finally caught up to them in their careers. Now they understand. I ended up getting 2 degrees to help me find a job which it did but now Im straddled with school debt that I will owe into my retirement. Not exactly how I thought my life would pan out when I was in my 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships