Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times

Advertisements

I have a Muslim friend now. We both are easily entertained. We agreed that getting lost in St.Louis City and spending several hours looking for bookstores was a fun time. We're honest and upfront people. We're both polite. We both eat a lot, but whereas I will shovel food down my throat like a garbage disposal while hardly tasting it, and in many cases, having no idea what it is, my friend is quite picky about food. In addition to not being able to eat pork and eating meat that is prepared in a certain way.

Judging from the expression on his face, I think I disgusted him while at an all-you-eat Japanese restaurant...with my piles of sushi and various anomalous materials. For my next plate, I returned with fruit and vegetables, and his smile returned.

Can anyone think of any other of these types of behavorial landmines which might occur? I would guess we both have similar opinions about male-female relationships. Friendships between the sexes is great. Dating is great. Yelling "Hey, sexy" out the window at random passerbys or picking up hookers...not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I have a Muslim friend now. We both are easily entertained. We agreed that getting lost in St.Louis City and spending several hours looking for bookstores was a fun time. We're honest and upfront people. We're both polite. We both eat a lot, but whereas I will shovel food down my throat like a garbage disposal while hardly tasting it, and in many cases, having no idea what it is, my friend is quite picky about food. In addition to not being able to eat pork and eating meat that is prepared in a certain way.

Judging from the expression on his face, I think I disgusted him while at an all-you-eat Japanese restaurant...with my piles of sushi and various anomalous materials. For my next plate, I returned with fruit and vegetables, and his smile returned.

Can anyone think of any other of these types of behavorial landmines which might occur? I would guess we both have similar opinions about male-female relationships. Friendships between the sexes is great. Dating is great. Yelling "Hey, sexy" out the window at random passerbys or picking up hookers...not so much.
He's a friend, and if you know his religious convictions, perhaps a show of respect is not a bad thing. Likewise, he should respect your values too. You should be able to eat pork if that is what you so choose. Mutual respect can carry you both a long way. Sounds like he's a friend and there is enough common ground in other areas that your friendship should be able to thrive, even where you have differing values.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
He's a friend, and if you know his religious convictions, perhaps a show of respect is not a bad thing. Likewise, he should respect your values too. You should be able to eat pork if that is what you so choose. Mutual respect can carry you both a long way. Sounds like he's a friend and there is enough common ground in other areas that your friendship should be able to thrive, even where you have differing values.
This. I wouldn't say anything if someone chooses not to eat what I eat, but I wouldn't want them judging me for what I eat. I think just be honest and accept each other the way you are. You can learn a lot about the world having friends from different cultures and backgrounds.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:26 PM

36 posts, read 174,884 times
You two have different values.. He could easily not be a Muslim and you still could have different values. I don't think that should matter as long as you guys have a good time together, like to hang out and so on. I and some of my friends don't believe in the same things but that doesn't matter to me...they respect me and I can always count on them and so..

To sum up, what I am trying to say is that just because he prefers to eat differently shouldn't be a concern as long as he doesn't pressurize you to eat like him.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Maybe he just finds raw fish and octopus disgusting, not necessarily judging you for not being halal.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe he just finds raw fish and octopus disgusting, not necessarily judging you for not being halal.
Could be, but nobody else has had a similar expression...and I've never known anyone else with similar dietary restrictions.

I doubt he's judging. I was guessing he was more along the lines of feeling uncomfortable because of another's actions. I think our ideals can change our emotions about things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships