Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Sounds like while they may like you, they don't really respect you.
What would lead you to believe that and what would that have to do with constantly complimenting my sister's looks and not mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
They sound as if they just aren't very nice. Maybe they feel threatened by you and your choice not to marry and have children at a young age. I'd be angry and hurt, too, at such behavior by family, but I don't know what can be done about it. It probably stems from some problem or insecurity they have and has nothing to do with you or your sister.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPOUTTAIT View Post
Maybe because you and your sister are completely different personalities. She's married and has a family. You pick up married men and sugar daddies and flaunt your boobs. Maybe when she's visiting with them she's not on her phone texting the whole time. Maybe they don't like you, like someone else said. Your family loves you because you're kin but doesn't mean they have to "like" you.
^^^ I'm thinking the same thing. Your aunts are being supportive of your sister who has had three kids. They want her to feel good about her looks despite having been pregnant three times. You are single and look fine. You don't need compliments and definitely not from your family members. As a single person, all you should really care about is how single men view you in terms of being datable.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
How do I say this tactfully. I took a look at your profile. You are lovely indeed. But could they be hesitant to comment on that because you dress. Well. Like. You know?
I think that this might be part of it .... You are very pretty, but you seem to be seeking attention all the time, what with all the posting abotr and pictures of your boobs. You have even gone into a "career" field that relies on your physical appearance (Hooters). I wonder if you went into that job looking or at least enjoying what must be a lot of feedback on your how attractive you are?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,160 times
couple of points:

1) some families are just more intensely competitive than others. My mom's family was like this. My grandfather and great uncle would make her/her sisters have a spell off with cousins to see who could spell better. I think they even may have woken up the kids after drinking for that, not sure. And my mother and her sisters were intensely competitive. My mom's also a non-identical twin. She was deemed the smart one, the other twin the pretty one. It tends to transfer down the generations. My mom's twin didn't have any kids, but their other sister did and one is a daughter less than a year older. They did the same smart/pretty thing and I was told I should look more like her, do x, y & z more like her.

My mother compared me unfavorably to my brother constantly. I had one ex-boyfriend who couldn't understand how my brother had been in prison & was still the favorite.

And it does hurt to be subjected to that. The last Christmas we spent together, my brother didn't have any money for gifts for my mom & step-dad and he felt bad about it. I felt badly for him and asked if he wanted to sign the cards I had for them and we'd say the gifts were from both of us. My mom's reply was to say "I know this gift is from [exscapegoat's real name]." And then something along the lines of it doesn't matter because the best gift she could have was her son home. During this same "festivity" and I do use that term loosely, she laughed at every joke he made and went on about how she loved hearing his comments during tv. I literally got shhed during the one comment I tried to make. I was pushing freakin' forty and I got shhed! It was a few more years before I went into total cut off with them, but it was the last holiday I spent with them. I don't need that.

2) Sometimes families have to pick a scapegoat to make themselves feel better. If you've departed from the family norm in any way (staying single, moving, etc.), they may try to take you down to make them feel better about themselves. Do they also compare you unfavorably to other family members and act like you can't do anything right?

I've since learned some coping techniques. When someone says or does something really obnoxious like your aunt with the baby photos, people tend to want to confront or gloss it over. But neither of those are going to work. Contronting will make you look like the bad guy, glossing it over puts the brunt of the discomfort on you. You can do things like:

1) don't even justify them with an answer. Let them twist and turn in weird, awkward, uncomfortable silence

2) look away from them and start talking to someone else

3) pretend you are watching a nature documentary and you've just observed some really bizarre behavior among a species

If they're familiar with the Brady Bunch, you might want to make a joke out of it and channel Jan Brady, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" which will be even funnier because you're twins.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Maybe they don't like your look and what you've done to your body and they feel they should only make sincere compliments.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
They're probably complimenting your sister for not "letting herself go" after becoming a mother. They probably feel that you don't need any compliments since you don't have to deal with the added stress of having children.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
One other thing that has peripherally been alluded to: Family members can be pretty passive-aggressive. Dishing out compliments by the bucket load in a situation of gross inequity to one sister may be an attempt to get you to look at and emulate the model (sister) being complimented. Whether it's the subtle message to get serious, settle down already and have a family or promoting a less overt beauty model, there is most certainly a message being passed. What does your twin say? Have you had this conversation with her?

From the posts that I've read from you, it appears that you like a lot of attention, this may be what they are pointedly not giving you and showing their disapproval at the same time. FWIW it's unfair to you both not to be more direct in their dealings or more accepting of how differently you both turned out.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
As you know, there are "favorites" in any family. Your family could have a very competitive nature as well. For instance, you don't have to say so, do you all discuss what kind of salary you make with your closest relatives? Or things that you buy? What your house is worth, etc? Or something else that you all compare each other to?

I am not exactly a favorite in my family and I am used to getting all kinds of criticisms (or compliments that you seem to seek). It is hard to take in large doses when you feel slighted and you are sensitive to it all.

I get ignored as well by some family members as I am not a "favorite" for many reasons. I try my best, and try not to sweat the small stuff, there must be other reasons why they compliment your sister more than they do you. Look for the positives rather than the small things. I would let it go and look for the good stuff with family.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
They think you have no feelings.
Lollll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships