Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I mean, I don't expect to be complimented by my relatives who I barely see now that I'm an adult and I have my own life. But it's awkward when I go to family get togethers and my aunts compliment my twin sister's makeup and not mine, tell her she lost weight (she's had 3 children, I have none, but heck I've lost weight and am thinner) and looks great and say nothing to me, compliment her sense of fashion, handbags, etc.

We used to look alike (we are fraternal), and as we've grown older we now look very different. She is taller, heavier, slightly darker. She has natural hair. We dress very differently. But we are pretty much the same person, with the same likes, dislikes, etc.

One of my aunts even went so far to point out our baby pics and say that my twin sister was the cuter one in every baby photo. I mean I don't really care, but what the hell's the point in that???

I try not to be paranoid but it kind of feels like I'm being purposefully slighted.
Maybe your family is into natural boobs. (Sorry, sometimes the jokes just write themselves....)

Honestly, if I had to guess, there is more to it. Is your twin a bit self concious? Maybe she really struggled with the vigors of having three babies and they are just trying to encourage her? Maybe they think you are confident enough, but she needs it?

There are so many dynamics that "might" go into this, but we (CD) are not privy to all of that.

I'd say that if you are comfy with who you are, then don't sweat it. Be your best, and make sure you are content each day as head meets pillow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,298,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
How do I say this tactfully. I took a look at your profile. You are lovely indeed. But could they be hesitant to comment on that because you dress. Well. Like. You know?
Believe it or not, I don't dress the same I do when I go out at night as I do for family occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I am NOT trying to be a jerk, but...

Have you ever considered that they just don't LIKE you?
Yes, I have considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Maybe they think you are confident enough, but she needs it?
My sister is one of the most confident, secure women you'll ever meet! One of the many reasons I admire her.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
I don't care about their opinions, I don't care if my sister had a cuter, chubbier face when we were infants. But I do care that I have family members who are purposefully slighting me and think nothing of it...particularly if they do it so egregiously.
Yeah, like I said - YOU DO CARE.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Of course I care to find out why they are slighting me.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Of course I care to find out why they are slighting me.
The "why" doesn't matter, don't you see??

You are hurt that they are treating you this way - meaning you do care about their opinions. If you didn't really care there would be no hurt feelings.

Work to rise above all that.

Learn to have more confidence in who you are and this kind of crap will mean nothing to you.

Until then, feel free to point out to them that they are hurting your feelings and that you find their behavior rude. Then walk away - don't engage them beyond that point.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,220,038 times
You should compliment one of your aunts and not the other. Show them how it feels!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM

64 posts, read 85,288 times
Maybe because you and your sister are completely different personalities. She's married and has a family. You pick up married men and sugar daddies and flaunt your boobs. Maybe when she's visiting with them she's not on her phone texting the whole time. Maybe they don't like you, like someone else said. Your family loves you because you're kin but doesn't mean they have to "like" you.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPOUTTAIT View Post
You pick up married men and sugar daddies and flaunt your boobs.
For this cross section of the CD crowd, fiction is better than fact.

FYI, my family knows nothing about my personal life or hers, and they've seen so little of my boobs they have no idea that I've gotten a boob job.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,645,188 times
I think they are insensitive. You could say: "Hey, what am I, chopped liver?????"

Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times
Sounds like while they may like you, they don't really respect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships