U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,445,193 times
Reputation: 6543

Advertisements

Assuming she knowingly took the ecstasy, no I don't feel much sympathy for her. What 15 year old doesn't know the risks of taking drugs? I guess D.A.R.E. isn't working.

Before anyone goes there, no I have never taken illegal drugs and I didn't drink until I was 21. I didn't do stupid things as a teenager that could harm me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 1,711,332 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Assuming she knowingly took the ecstasy, no I don't feel much sympathy for her. What 15 year old doesn't know the risks of taking drugs? I guess D.A.R.E. isn't working.

Before anyone goes there, no I have never taken illegal drugs and I didn't drink until I was 21. I didn't do stupid things as a teenager that could harm me.
Same here. Finally a decent response. Wouldn't be surprising if she indeed took the ecstasy knowingly. Lots of kids did experiment with drugs in their teen years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Reputation: 39857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am not sure why you post things like this at all.

Any death, no matter how it became, is a tragedy to SOMEONE. No one is a saint in life, for we are mere humans.

If I lost one of my children, no matter how it happened, it would be a severe tragedy in my life. It would be something that I don't think I could ever ever get over.

You don't need to show sympathy to the person who dies, she is gone. She is not here on earth feeling your sympathy.

Can you imagine how your smug attitude and look over their daughter feels to her parents?

Several reasons...

he young, bored and not yet a parent.

I've got high hopes for him in the long run, but for now, some of these threads ideas would be better left in his head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,707 posts, read 16,817,419 times
Reputation: 26287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a few cases now of teenage girls (I'm sure boys have done so too but for some reason it's been girls) who have taken ecstasy at a party/rave/concert and died. The reasons varied: in one famous case here it was because the 15 year old girl had a rare, allergic-type reaction and her brain swelled. In another, the girl just took a really high dose (for some reason), perhaps she was suicidal or just not thinking straight.

In many cases, others are involved, but i don't think it's right to totally blame other parties, unless they really pressured her to take it/force-fed her of course. Taking any kind of pill is risky, so you should be prepared of the consequences.

Of course any death is tragic, but I have to admit I can't help but feel a bit less sympathy for these cases than those who say died as a passenger in a car accident.

There's a flood of tributes.etc from friends when this happens, and they always talk about what a kind, friendly, generous etc person she was. I mean they kind of have to, I suppose, so to be honest I do wonder when they say things like that. Not EVERYONE who dies a tragic death is some saint in life. NOT to say that taking drugs makes you a bad person or if you take drugs you deserve death, but it's treated as a tragic accident (I suppose in the case of ecstasy it kind of is, since it doesn't usually kill you, but the risks are there) when it's really the responsibility of that person.
I actually agree with you about the bolded. Everyone says that and I think, "Well, no, because there's a lot of jerks out there...a LOT...or are the jerks just not dying off?"

However, I don't agree with you about the rest of it. It's ok, it's your opinion. I have mine, you have yours, there's nothing to debate, we just share.

I really think you need to lighten up on these kids. Remember, 15 years old is a KID. They think they know what they are doing, they don't. They don't know what they are doing. That's the kicker...you talk about responsibility...they don't fully and completely comprehend exactly what can happen to them. It's "other people" that happens to, never them.

You do realize this, don't you? You were a kid once. Most kids don't believe they will die at a young age. They just don't. Again, it happens to other people. You also have to remember, scientifically, their brains are NOT fully done forming and they do things that shows lack of reasoning and what not.

Many of them are naive. Oh sure, MTV would like us all to believe that all kids are street savvy but the fact is, many of them are still very naive to just how nasty and evil some people in this world can be. They don't believe that anyone would be evil to them, they're nice! They don't understand that. Hell, there's a ton of adults who don't understand that.

They don't comprehend that people don't care. As someone said earlier, these dealers are in it for the money, they do not care if a kid dies. But the kids don't always get that; they don't always understand that.

It IS sad when a kid/child/teen dies no matter HOW it happened. You're an adult now, you've learned, you've gained wisdom, you've discovered things you didn't know before. These are still kids...they think they know, they might even have others convinced that they know, but they don't.

"Oh not my kid, my kid knows better than to do drugs..." Fine. But what does your kid NOT know that could also end their life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 AM
 
16,482 posts, read 21,080,041 times
Reputation: 16171
Part of me feels sympathy amd part of me doesn't. I think the death of any young person is very sad. They do not get to grow up and have many of the life experiences that many people do, such as getting married, having kids, having their own place, buying a house etc. I have 4 children and I would be devastated if I lost any of them. I also know from personal experiences that when you are a teen you think differently. You always think nothing will happen to you and you won't be the one to die from taking any drugs or drinking. They all think they are Superman. I think this teen knew she was taking ecstasy and thought she'd be ok. She should have known better, and in that sense I don't feel sympathy. I do feel sympathy for her because she was young and we all do something stupid in our teens, and I also feel sympathy for her parents and what they are probably going through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 AM
 
317 posts, read 484,637 times
Reputation: 404
i feel sorry for the girl, she may had some really bad problems or trauma she was trying to escape and that escape killed her. i got issues with crowds, parades, fireworks, insomnia, dont even like to go outside anymore either, dont trust alot of people. So when i go out, its at night, on a beer run or hang out in the liquor store, best place in the world then i get blasted and escape all the **** i went through on deployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 AM
 
47,573 posts, read 60,625,005 times
Reputation: 22283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The same can be said for alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and any one of dozens if not hundreds of legal drugs. "Mind altering" does not automatically equate to "deadly".



Because it feels good.



Which is an argument for ENDING the War on (some) Drugs, not a good point in it's favor.

Here's how stupid our War on (some) Drugs is. DMT is illegal. You've probably never heard of it because it's use is not widespread. Well, injecting or smoking or however you'd use it (I honestly have no idea) is not widespread.

And yet, every single one of us use DMT every single night. You see, it's produced naturally by our brains.

Yup, a substance our body creates naturally is illegal. That's just nuts.

You have the right to remain silent.
Any drug that is produced naturally in the brain obviously does ont have to be ingested, inhaled, or injected -- so big difference.

Yes -- I've experienced runner's high -- a totally natural non-chemical high -- obviously I don't see any problem in that. And it's very silly to compare caffeine with methamphetamines.

Coffee for example is just a tea made from a natural bean -- it's not produced by criminals from explosive chemicals. Any kid in high school should have learned in chemistry class that chemicals can be dangerous.

So you have the right to remain silent -- it's stupid to pour chemicals with molecular formulas that you cannot describe into your body. Just like it's stupid to drink a couple fifths of alcohol and get behind the wheel of a car. I think it's normal to feel more sadness over the innocent drivers killed by drunk drivers than for the drunk driver who killed them.

When you caused your own death especially when you broke the laws to do so, it's very tragic for your family but you can't cure stupidity. There is also some comfort for the family I suppose when the child died feeling no pain versus a painful tragic death the child did not bring on.

I know a woman whose daughter died in a fire -- it was determined that she had turned on the stove maybe to heat the house, she was stoned on drugs at the time so it's hard to tell why she had turned on the stove and didn't make sure it had lit. The she apparently sat down to smoke a cigarette and the house exploded. She died trying to find the door - and the mother said there was some comfort in knowing that she was stoned out of her mind at the time and likely wasn't aware of what was happening and didn't feel much pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 07:27 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,180,361 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Any drug that is produced naturally in the brain obviously does ont have to be ingested, inhaled, or injected -- so big difference.
You're totally missing the point. Making DMT illegal is akin to making adrenalin illegal. In fact, the drugs that have been considered illegal are mostly picked at random.

Quote:
Yes -- I've experienced runner's high -- a totally natural non-chemical high
There is no such thing as a non-chemical high. All highs, even runner's ones, are caused by chemicals, though some are created and released by the body and others are ingested by choice. You seem to think you're "better" than people who choose to get high.

You're not.

Quote:
And it's very silly to compare caffeine with methamphetamines.
I didn't do that. I merely pointed out that there are many legal "mind altering" substances to counter your point that mind altering=deadly.

Quote:
Coffee for example is just a tea made from a natural bean -- it's not produced by criminals from explosive chemicals.
And marijuana is just a natural plant. And cocaine is merely a derivative of another natural plant. And heroin is a derivative of yet another plant. Everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical. Air is a chemical. A grape is full of hundreds of different chemicals.

"Chemical" is not, in and of itself, bad. Thankfully. If it were, we probably would never have evolved.

Quote:
When you caused your own death especially when you broke the laws to do so, it's very tragic for your family but you can't cure stupidity.
Unjust laws should not be enforced, and should be repealed or overturned. Do you hold the same disdain for someone who dies while skydiving? Playing football?

I didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM
 
Location: in your dreams
10,890 posts, read 13,552,583 times
Reputation: 15338
If you ask me, some people here could use a little mind alteration...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM
 
3,592 posts, read 4,728,394 times
Reputation: 4736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a few cases now of teenage girls (I'm sure boys have done so too but for some reason it's been girls) who have taken ecstasy at a party/rave/concert and died. The reasons varied: in one famous case here it was because the 15 year old girl had a rare, allergic-type reaction and her brain swelled. In another, the girl just took a really high dose (for some reason), perhaps she was suicidal or just not thinking straight.

In many cases, others are involved, but i don't think it's right to totally blame other parties, unless they really pressured her to take it/force-fed her of course. Taking any kind of pill is risky, so you should be prepared of the consequences.

Of course any death is tragic, but I have to admit I can't help but feel a bit less sympathy for these cases than those who say died as a passenger in a car accident.

There's a flood of tributes.etc from friends when this happens, and they always talk about what a kind, friendly, generous etc person she was. I mean they kind of have to, I suppose, so to be honest I do wonder when they say things like that. Not EVERYONE who dies a tragic death is some saint in life. NOT to say that taking drugs makes you a bad person or if you take drugs you deserve death, but it's treated as a tragic accident (I suppose in the case of ecstasy it kind of is, since it doesn't usually kill you, but the risks are there) when it's really the responsibility of that person.
I believe young people dying before their time is always tragic, and my heart goes out to them and to their families. I understand about personal responsibility, but if you scratch the surface of these cases you find that people who use these drugs are have deep personal troubles and sometimes it has something to do with what is going on at home or a dating relationship. Just saying. We live in a hurting world and we should not rush to judgment if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top