U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM

1,491 posts, read 2,683,834 times

Advertisements

I think its sad regardless, and to not have any sympathy is pretty heartless. I think many of us have done stupid things as a kid or young adult. Some maybe more extreme, but usually we grow out of it.

After meeting/dealing with a few people recently, I realized that drug users aren't users just because "they want to have fun", the end. Sometimes it goes deeper, some may be depressed, or just not thinking right, and they resort to drugs as a last case scenario. While it seems they are having fun, when it wears off they are in a ****ty place in their mind.

After being enlightened by this, while I don't approve of drug use, I try to have some sympathy for them and their reasoning. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be in a solid mental state that do not need these drugs to be "happy", even if its just for a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,393,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Before anyone goes there, no I have never taken illegal drugs and I didn't drink until I was 21. I didn't do stupid things as a teenager that could harm me.
That is because you had the family and friends that allowed you to develop into the type of person who could say "no," without feeling like a lesser person. Many people don't have the foundation on which to strengthen their character enough to do that - especially children.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,181,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
That is because you had the family and friends that allowed you to develop into the type of person who could say "no," without feeling like a lesser person. Many people don't have the foundation on which to strengthen their character enough to do that - especially children.
This presupposes that our societies disdain for mind altering substances is reasonable. That has not been established, merely assumed.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,651,860 times
Quote:
It's also very possible that their parents gave them a foundation - but they rejected it. There are families where there are a number of siblings and only one gets into drugs.

I even think it's reasonable to be somewhat angry that they would destroy their parents and other family members just because they thought partying all night or going along with their peers was more important than anything else.

I saw how devasting one of these teen deaths was on a family -- a broken hearted grampa who never stopped grieving, along with parents and a sister. Sure -- you can feel sorry for the kid who died from drugs -- but he most likely never knew he died, he was too stoned and high to feel any pain. He sure left a lot of pain in those who loved him. Not only did he cause his own death, it took a few days of searching and fear before his body was found. He was who caused his family so much terrible pain.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,448,498 times
Quote:
My parents were not overly involved. They worked and had their own issues to deal with. I didn't need them hovering over me to make sure I did well in school and made good choices. Of course they had an influence, but a lot of it was just my personality.

I went through the DARE and GREAT programs. I learned about drugs and what they do to you, and I realized how they can ruin the rest of your life (having several schoolmates killed by drunk drivers probably had an influence, too). I was hardly a remarkable teen, so if I could figure it out there's no reason others shouldn't be able to.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's also very possible that their parents gave them a foundation - but they rejected it. There are families where there are a number of siblings and only one gets into drugs.

I even think it's reasonable to be somewhat angry that they would destroy their parents and other family members just because they thought partying all night or going along with their peers was more important than anything else.

I saw how devasting one of these teen deaths was on a family -- a broken hearted grampa who never stopped grieving, along with parents and a sister. Sure -- you can feel sorry for the kid who died from drugs -- but he most likely never knew he died, he was too stoned and high to feel any pain. He sure left a lot of pain in those who loved him. Not only did he cause his own death, it took a few days of searching and fear before his body was found. He was who caused his family so much terrible pain.
I feel some sadness and sympathy for the family and friends left behind. It SHOULD be a lesson to other teens, but I suspect it rarely is.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think its sad regardless, and to not have any sympathy is pretty heartless. I think many of us have done stupid things as a kid or young adult. Some maybe more extreme, but usually we grow out of it.

After meeting/dealing with a few people recently, I realized that drug users aren't users just because "they want to have fun", the end. Sometimes it goes deeper, some may be depressed, or just not thinking right, and they resort to drugs as a last case scenario. While it seems they are having fun, when it wears off they are in a ****ty place in their mind.

After being enlightened by this, while I don't approve of drug use, I try to have some sympathy for them and their reasoning. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be in a solid mental state that do not need these drugs to be "happy", even if its just for a little bit.
Oh poor them...give me a break, most people have it tough in one way or another. And they don't have to resort to drugs. Most people who get into drugs do not go into it because they're depressed or whatever (I'm not talking alcohol here) it's because they're hedonists and want a high. Maybe the deeper reason is become life doesn't offer them enough thrills, but it's up to them to make smart decisions about what goes into their body, not just put anything into their mouths like children and hope for the best.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I feel some sadness and sympathy for the family and friends left behind. It SHOULD be a lesson to other teens, but I suspect it rarely is.
That's the problem. When they're in the 'heat of the moment', behind the wheel doing 160 on the freeway, or drunk, or at a party and someone offers them something that'll really blow their mind, they often AREN'T thinking of the consequences. Some are, but many teens risk taking behaviour is not tempered by a better sense of judgement. In that sense, they are more vulnerable but it's not like they have no ability to choose.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's the problem. When they're in the 'heat of the moment', behind the wheel doing 160 on the freeway, or drunk, or at a party and someone offers them something that'll really blow their mind, they often AREN'T thinking of the consequences. Some are, but many teens risk taking behaviour is not tempered by a better sense of judgement. In that sense, they are more vulnerable but it's not like they have no ability to choose.
Very true. I can see a lot of people here want to feel sorry for the poor souls that have a poor home life or whatever and feel the need to turn to drugs. In my experience and from the teenagers I see around me, I am willing to guess that most who would make those stupid decisions are really just bored, spoiled brats. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM
miu

17,149 posts, read 34,648,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think its sad regardless, and to not have any sympathy is pretty heartless.
Not really. Unless one knows that person personally, why waste time getting sad about it? Of course, a parent could use that death as a way of deterring their own children from doing anything that stupid.

There are 7 billion people on this planet and...

Per minute: 267 born, 108 die, (net population increase: 159)
Per day: 384 thousand born, 156 thousand die, (net increase 229 thousand)
Per year: 140.4 million born, 56.7 million die, (net increase 83.6 million)

Read more: How many people are born and how many people die every minute

So how sad does anyone need to get over the death of this girl or every stranger? Death is inevitable. Some die young, some die old. At least her death was quick and no because of some lingering painful medical condition. And you're going to get sad over the death of this one particular teen, why not be sad all of the time over the other 126,000 humans that die every day?

Last edited by miu; 10-02-2012 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Took out excess HTML tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships